Well... I'll start off by saying hi I'm new here... seems like a pretty rad forum.
Anyway, that being said, this might not be the right place for this thread :/

I've been playing around with guitar tones and not really getting what I want.
I play in a Pop Punk band and we're looking at recording really soon so I'm looking to get my tone just right, but after a bunch of playing around I sort of found I have no idea what I'm doing... I've never really done to much, I just sort of turn up the distortion
I play rhythm and I guess I'm looking for similar sounds to Fall Out Boy or New Found Glory.
Is there any sort of generic formula for a starting sound to work from?
I play a Les Paul... and I've been running it through a Line6 TonePort, so it has a few Amp models, Cabs and Effects to choose from... So any info on what Pop Punk bands tend to use would be really appreciated too! Even like which pick-up to use?
Thanks alot guys,
- drewfirstbase.
put on your flame shield. people will flame the crap outta you, noone likes fallout boy.

id say mess with the eq?
i hope noone flames you cuz you are asking for real help not just sayin how much you love a band..

Anyway im sure they tend to use allot of mids in there sound and not so much bass with distortion at about 6-8
It's not really to do with the bands I'd just like some help with tones.
What sort of things do you suggest with the EQ?
OK, I don't know about punk, but I'll give you what I think it'd be. Use the bridge pickup with the volume and tone on 10. Then set the EQ with a gradual treble boost. Just find a modern amp tone and turn the gain to 10.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I like Fall Out Boy alright. People take things too seriously around here, honestly.

Anyway, use your bridge pickup for pop-punk rhythms. I don't know anything about the Line 6 stuff so....that's all I can say.

i like theyre new stuff. like i like it decently. i dont like theyre old stuff though.
Really? Usually it's quite the opposite. Ah well, each to their own. I like all their albums well enough, I tend not to compare them - and just see them for what they do right: Catchy pop-punk hooks coupled with clever one liners. Plus, they're just really stand up guys. Met em before - couldn't have chatted with a nicer band.
The Line6 has a bunch of copy's of Head and Cabs... Kind of like the Native Instruments GuitarRig (if your familiar with that).
Like... You can pick say, A head that is the equivalent of a Marshall JCM800 or whatever and a stomp-box that's the equivalent of a ProCo Rat or BigMuff Pi.
FFFFLLLLAAAAAAAAAMMMMIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

SEE SIG!
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

IS THAT SYRUP IN YOUR PANTS OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME??!!
well i use "Real" effects, which means my setup has not one digital PoS in it, so i cant help you.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Mmm...I see. Yeah, use your bridge pickup, and some kind of British amp, like a Marshall or a Vox.

x2
So like... Cut the bass, high mids, higher treble and fairly high gain?
What about presence? I'm not really even sure what thats for?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Are you asking to be reported, or what? Cut it out. The guy is asking for help.

Yeah I seem to recall asking to reported somewhere in my post.

It was just kidding around so there is no need to bust a nut over it. I know he was just asking for help and plenty of people gave him lots of good help so there is not much use in me repeating things over. I only posted that because people were telling him to "turn on his flame shield", and that he was going to get flamed....ect...ect. So I posted that a joke (you know haha?). So you do not need to be so stuck up over something little like that.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

wat kinda les paul u use.. gotta be specific
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Quote by Bun.Master
Yeah I seem to recall asking to reported somewhere in my post.

It was just kidding around so there is no need to bust a nut over it. I know he was just asking for help and plenty of people gave him lots of good help so there is not much use in me repeating things over. I only posted that because people were telling him to "turn on his flame shield", and that he was going to get flamed....ect...ect. So I posted that a joke (you know haha?). So you do not need to be a complete dick over something little like that.

that would be considered flaming.which your arguing over. which im arguing over. arguing over and argument over a statement? i need to lay off the crack and booze...
Quote by Arlabester
that would be considered flaming.which your arguing over. which im arguing over. arguing over and argument over a statement? i need to lay off the crack and booze...

edit: I would add that to my sig but it won't fit.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf

Last edited by Bun.Master at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by toogoodd
wat kinda les paul u use.. gotta be specific

Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

Also, if i used an overdrive pedal should I still use the gain on the head?
Thanks heaps for your help guys... I've found a few nice tones I'm real happy with (and a lot of better tones than what I conjured up first time round).
I'll let you all know when we've recorded if you care to check it out