I've got a $1000AUD (about $750USD) budget, and I want to buy some gear. Right now, I'm playing a really crap bass, that looks leet, but is not really reliable. My amp is a 10 watt Guitar amp with only Vol., Gain, Tone and Overdrive. I was thinking of buying a P-Bass ($999AUD), but then a Gallien-Krueger Half-Stack caught my attention:

http://www.basscentre.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1123555239125-3887&parentContent=1122957391234-8397

First one (yeah I know, it's $1398, but I can save up $398 more in about a month). I'm not quite sure which to get yet, I'm thinking the amp first, and then I can get my bass at the end of year in America (for cheaper, $424.99USD = about $600AUD), but my current bass could die any day now :<

Can anyone suggest which to get first OR what amp besides that GK 1/2 stack I can get for around $1000AUD available in Australia? (preferably at Billy Hyde)

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency
i am in a similar way. I have a 40 watt bass amp, and I have just modified one of the basses I have by adding a wilkinson pick up that I got off ebay. It cost me about 24 dollars(au) and has improved the sound amazingly. So instead of the fender jazz, I am looking at amps myself.

The point of saying that was maybe you should surf ebay for a better pick up and focus on getting an amp first. I was just on the billy hyde site and they got some good stuff, try www.guitar.com.au if you are in queensland cos they have some really good prices on amps.
Hmmmm...like a...Trujillo-Flea-Dirnt tone I guess...

Mainly the tone you hear in songs like "Californication" and "Otherside", do you think the Deluxe model is up to it? (Fender Active Special)

I can keep saving by the way..
Last edited by Soul_Bassist at Feb 12, 2007,
Please don't double post, that's why there is an edit button. And yeah, the Deluxe series are pretty good basses, worth the extra money over the standard IMO.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
dont forget
if you're getting the half stack
dont forget a head
...unless there is a head
(i didnt click the link)

keep the bass if it works for you.

(flame suit)

Amp>bass

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
while on the topic....

can anyone reccomend a good half stack to accentuate the mid-range frequencies of a Fender Vintage Reissue '75 Jazz Bass?

somewhat of a budget, but its not that important....really im looking for quality over amount of money. Oh and 4x10 cab with or without head, just please make sure to reccomend both.

thanks for the consideration.
Just wondering what bass do you have now?
To add for sure you need the amp first.... theres no question about it... You can buy a $750 bass.... but your going to play it on a 10watt amp... its pointless.
Quote by kaossurge
Just wondering what bass do you have now?
To add for sure you need the amp first.... theres no question about it... You can buy a $750 bass.... but your going to play it on a 10watt amp... its pointless.

It's a cheap P-Bass copy. And yeah, the half-stack does have a head.