I've been playing for a little while now. I want to upgrade my arsenal. i would like to know wat anyone thinks i should buy for a new guitar. im willing to spend $400-$450. So if you have ne ideas plz share!
Quote by Rock_DKS_Style
hey im a newbie too, go on this website www.gear4music.com u can get a flying V for 449$ !!!!!!!

OMG!!!!1... A Flying V??!!

Schecters are pretty, but I have never played one.
Quote by kurosawa
I dropped out of school ages 13!

That quote made my life...
Save more money so you can buy a high end guitar. Remember Gibson, not Epiphone, increase your playing a million fold.
OK, I guess I'll offer serious advice...

For the amount of money you want to spend, buy a good Mex Strat and set aside some cash in case you wanna throw in some new pickups. Or you could buy a Tele like me. But Strats are more "standard" I guess.
Quote by kurosawa

Quote by Tyrannous
Save more money so you can buy a high end guitar. Remember Gibson, not Epiphone, increase your playing a million fold.

Is that a sick joke?

Schecter, Ibanez and Fender are the best choices. Depending on what you like.

Schecter = hard rock, punk, metal
Ibanez = metal, shred
Fender = classic rock, blues

They're all pretty versatile, actually. But see if you can try them out to see which suits you best.
Quote by sashki
Is that a sick joke?

Schecter, Ibanez and Fender are the best choices. Depending on what you like.

Schecter = hard rock, punk, metal
Ibanez = metal, shred
Fender = classic rock, blues

They're all pretty versatile, actually. But see if you can try them out to see which suits you best.

PFT Gibson can do all that.
A HSS fender strat is probably one of the most versitile guitars in the world... unless you want to spend silly money on a PRS 513.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by Rock_DKS_Style
wats rong with that!

Man, just don't use ...like...ever. And Flying V's are NOT the coolest guitars ever. They're clumsy. And you quoted yourself.
Quote by kurosawa

Quote by Tyrannous

Ack-tully, a low class gibson, which will be the only one the threadstarter can afford, isn't very versatile at all.
the Les Paul studio, although sounds good with overdrive, is too dark to sound good clean. And if you use distortion pedals, it's so muddy it turns into sonic porridge. Not good.

AND DON'T BUY THE MELODY MAKER!! You're just paying for the name on that one. Lame guitar.

A high-end Epiphone is better than a low end Gibson. Just try the Elitist series.
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes, but it can't do all of them quite as well, and if you read then you'll realise that the guy can't afford a gibson.

Did you notice me saying save up?
Quote by sashki
Ack-tully, a low class gibson, which will be the only one the threadstarter can afford, isn't very versatile at all.
the Les Paul studio, although sounds good with overdrive, is too dark to sound good clean. And if you use distortion pedals, it's so muddy it turns into sonic porridge. Not good.

AND DON'T BUY THE MELODY MAKER!! You're just paying for the name on that one. Lame guitar.

A high-end Epiphone is better than a low end Gibson. Just try the Elitist series.

You did notice me say buy high end. BTW there are more Gibsons than Les Paul. Explorer (Metal) V (Metal) SG (Rock) Les Paul (All!)
Quote by Tyrannous

You did notice me say buy high end. BTW there are more Gibsons than Les Paul. Explorer (Metal) V (Metal) SG (Rock) Les Paul (All!)

Explorers and V's have those annoying Ceramic pickups, and are expensive. He'd have a LOT of saving up to do from his current 400.

SG's have the same pickups as a les paul studio.

LP standard is good, but costs a lot.
Quote by Tyrannous

the flying V is not metal!
that thing reeks classic rock and blues
i have never seen any metal player playing a flying v!
king V-yes
randy rhoads- yes
Xseries ibanez- yes
flying v- no
to thread starter do you have a guitar right now?
if so and its is still playable id keep that and buy a higher end ibanez (prestige-$800) or a carvin (1000-ish)
Last edited by XibanezedgeX at Feb 13, 2007,
Quote by sashki

SG's have the same pickups as a les paul studio.

O RLY?
Les Paul Studio
Neck Pickups: 490R Alnico magnet humbucker
Bridge Pickups: 498T Alnico magnet humbucker

SG 61 Reissue
Neck Pickups: '57 Classic humbuckers
Bridge Pickups: '57 Classic humbuckers

SG Select
Neck Pickups: 490R with gold covers
Bridge Pickups: 498T with gold covers

SG 3
Neck Pickups: '57 Classic Gold humbuckers
Middle Pickups: '57 Classic Gold humbuckers
Bridge Pickups: '57 Classic Plus Gold humbuckers

SG Standard
Bridge Pickups: 498T Alnico magnet humbucker

SG Special
Bridge Pickups: 490T Alnico magnet humbucker

Those are just a few of the SG. Notice more don't share the same pickups.
Quote by blynd_snyper
the les paul does not do all, i have a les paul studio, and my squier strat is more versatile.

look, listen to me and sashki, go with a fender, ibanez or a schechter

you must have a crappy amp then. My Gibson Studio can play Metal, Rock, Blues, Jazz, etc all incredibly well.
Quote by XibanezedgeX
king V-yes
randy rhoads- yes
Xseries ibanez- yes
flying v- no
if so and its is still playable id keep that and buy a higher end ibanez (prestige-$800) or a carvin (1000-ish)

As I Lay Dying, one of the guitarists used a Flying V when I went to see them.
R E G G A E
Quote by Spamwise
you must have a crappy amp then. My Gibson Studio can play Metal, Rock, Blues, Jazz, etc all incredibly well.

i do. but even with my schools amps (50 watt marshalls) the squier is more versatile.
the gibson can do it all, but the squier does it better

plus, to tyrannius you didn't highlight one that should have been highlighted. Half of the SGs had the same pickups.
Quote by Tyrannous

I don't mean to pick a fight, but why?

Find a comfortable guitar you think sounds cool, is well built and that will go further than spending big bucks to buy a name that might make you better!
Quote by PRS Josh 83
I don't mean to pick a fight, but why?

Find a comfortable guitar you think sounds cool, is well built and that will go further than spending big bucks to buy a name that might make you better!

In all honesty I am a huge Gibson fan. I really don't care much about a guitar other than how precise it is and the looks. All I need to do is pop in an amp and can get most any sound I want. But if I had my choice I would change every pickup in all my guitars to a Alcino Pro II just because it has the greatest sustain I have heard.

But the biggest reason is because many people on UG take offense to Gibson. Guess they feel like they have to be rebels and the like. They just can take that Gibsons are very good. I would put PRS with Gibsons, just I don't like their looks. But I have never played any fender I liked and I played up to the $1000+
Quote by blynd_snyper
i do. but even with my schools amps (50 watt marshalls) the squier is more versatile.
the gibson can do it all, but the squier does it better

plus, to tyrannius you didn't highlight one that should have been highlighted. Half of the SGs had the same pickups.

Marshall MGs suck as well. Maybe it's just your Studio, because my cleans sound amazing through a 30 watt Spider II.

But really, if his price range is $500 there's no reason to save another $800+.
I used to have a Gibson SG Special (got it real cheap second hand, certainly within your budget), and i ****ing loved it, i personally think low end gibsons are still as good as high-end epiphone's, i dont think your just paying for the name
Quote by Tyrannous

Yes, only for 1,000 dollars more for a tone you could get out of an $900 modded guitar.
Quote by Tyrannous
In all honesty I am a huge Gibson fan. I really don't care much about a guitar other than how precise it is and the looks. All I need to do is pop in an amp and can get most any sound I want. But if I had my choice I would change every pickup in all my guitars to a Alcino Pro II just because it has the greatest sustain I have heard.

But the biggest reason is because many people on UG take offense to Gibson. Guess they feel like they have to be rebels and the like. They just can take that Gibsons are very good. I would put PRS with Gibsons, just I don't like their looks. But I have never played any fender I liked and I played up to the $1000+

No, I believe I not only speak for myself when I say Gibsons are overpriced. I don't want to be a fucking rebel, I just don't want to pay an assload for a guitar that I could get the same sound out of for about $900. All it takes is some modding. Ephiphone sound almost EXACTLY like the real thing, and why would you waste so much money for just a name on the headstock?
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Quote by Duff_McGee
Is that why Hetfield and Hammett used them around the KEA - RTL era?

Yes. It's true, folks.

Go buy St. Anger.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Cied Shredder
Ephiphone sound almost EXACTLY like the real thing, and why would you waste so much money for just a name on the headstock?

That is a load of crap. Epiphones are great low end guitars, but the preciseness you get with a Gibson Les Paul can't even be compared to an Epiphone. The wood is a much better quality, and wood is the hardest sound variable to alter. And yes I agree with you Gibsons are over priced, but once you understand diminishing returns you will understand why they are so priced. Also and the two biggest reason they are so expensives, also why I love them. They are hand made and American made.
OK Gibsons are overpriced for people who can't afford them. People who can regularly buy them for a reason. My LP can do anything and do it as good as anything else, No bullshit. Then again it came out of the Custom shop and is worth $5,000. All of this doesn't mean anything to the threadstarter because like he said he only wants to spend around $450. IF he wants something Gibson-like with very good quality he should look into www.rondomusic.com and look at the AGile line. Those are better than Epi standard not up to Epi Elitist but still great. If you modded them out you could have a low end Gibson quality guitar for half the price. Then someday when you hav a couple grand to throw around get a real Gibson. If you want something Stat like you go for a MexiStrat which modded wiull pretty much give you a standard Fender Strat for half the price. Schecter is also an amazing line.

So in order of preference for me at that price level is
1.Agile This one: http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000mcsb.html
2. Mexi-Strat
3. Schecter

All great guitars and worth your money.
Last edited by magicninja_ at Feb 13, 2007,
Quote by XibanezedgeX
king V-yes
randy rhoads- yes
Xseries ibanez- yes
flying v- no

wow, dont we have infinite knowledge......
Gear:
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru series
Jackson DXMGT
Ovation Celebrity acoustic
Yamaha acoustic
Roland Cube 15
Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MG412
Boss MT-2
DD-5
CE-5
TU-2
CS-3
Personally i like ESP's

Fender Strat
Alexi Laiho ESP

Quote by Doolittle
one time i masturbated into a pumpkins. needless to say
PWNED

Follower of the UG Faith, PM me to join!