I've been needing to upgrade my amp. I play alot of Skynyrd, and Eagles. stuff like that some lighter stuff like CCR, some heavier like Halen. and a decent bit of clean stuff, but I mainly wanna get the skynyrd and eagles sound. I was thinking about a Marshall JCM 2000 Triple Super Lead, because of the obvious and being able to switch between Clean, Rhythm, and Lead, but I want some options before I spent a couple grand.

PS:
I play bars, festivals, outdoors, parties, stuff like that and I mic my amps through the P.A. i have a Fender Twin Reverb at the moment, its got awesome cleans, but I just can't get my sound im looking for.
Last edited by ubernooblet06 at Feb 13, 2007,
no no no,

jcm 800, or 900

the jcm 2000 TSL are voiced way more modern than you want, this isnt to say its not a good amp.

with a jcm 800, you wont get all your channels, there are 2 channel versions, but you should definitly go find a place that has the jcm, 800, 900, 2000 (dsl and tsl), and try them out.

if youre looking for classic rock though, jcm 800, it was pretty much made famous by the classic rock heroes, tried, tested, and true.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Like ark said, there's no need for a JCM 2000. I use my dads' 900 and it's got plenty of volume, it sounds positively great, and can achieve great tone for lead/rhythm playing. But yes, also try out the 800 and 2000 like he said.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
You could always try the VOX CLASSIC range.
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Vox ac30 may also work well for you.

And +1 on the JCM 800 amps.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
while this thread is here., I also need a new amp for a classic rock style band. Something that will go with a nuge and skynyrd style.
I honestly love my fathers' Fender Twin Reverb amp. The only two downs really are that it is incredibly loud at it's absolute lowest volume spot, and that it doesn't come with distortion in it. It's also a pretty heavy, but you can find a way to transport it easier I'm sure. But, you can buy distortion, it sounds positively amazing and has a great clean tone, and just about everything you could possibly ask for in an amp. More reverb in the thing that you could ever possibly need. It sounds amazing playing Nugent. I'd advise buying it or the JCM 800/900.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Marshall anything.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Vox or Marshall tube amps. Highly recommend Marshall Plexi, Marshall JCM800/900, or Vox AC30. The Marshall JCMs are medium/high gain for classic rock (not metal high gain). The Plexi is clean unless you add a master volume or use an attenuator, then you can get great gain out of it. The Vox has amazing cleans and mild gains, but can be easily pushed with a boost or overdrive pedal into great tones.
I thought Skynyrd played Peaveys. I'd certainly think their Classic series would do a great job with them and the Eagles.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ New Skynyrd plays Peaveys now..which is quite surprising tbh.

I would say get a jcm 800 or an Vox ac30, great amps. BUT!!! DONT LEAVE OUT ORANGE.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^yeah a lot of the amps mentioned here really aren't gainy enough for skynyrd. They use Triple XXX's nowadays.. so I doubt amps like a Twin Reverb would really be able to handle it. I mean for the clean parts thats great... but theres a good bit of crunch there too.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
You could always get old skynard though.

Old Skynyrd ftw!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Even still... its pretty crunchy. Just listen to the pinch harmonics. They DO play with a lot more gain now... but some of the gain was always there.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman
....Old Skynyrd ftw!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
A quick google, and I found this on About.com

Freebird - Guitar Tab and Solo Details

Song first appeared on: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1974 debut album, Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd

Guitarist Gary Rossington used a 1961 Gibson Les Paul/SG Standard with side-pull vibrato for his slide guitar part on "Freebird". Rossington played through a Peavey Mace amp head, and a Peavey 4x12 cabinet (with the back removed to produce a more open sound) with JBL speakers.

And this bit:

LOS ANGELES (www.peavey.com) - It took seven nominations, but street-survivin' Lynyrd Skynyrd made it to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2006. Peavey congratulates the entire Lynyrd Skynyrd family on their achievements. Lynyrd Skynyrd has used Peavey amplifiers since the 1970s-in fact, guitarist Gary Rossington still uses his treasured Mace amps on the road today.

I thought I remembered Peaveys inside "One More From the Road."
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Omg, old skynyrd + new skynyrd = same skynyrd, OH NOES!!!11!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^only... not?

A FEW differences. And there was definately as least one XXX.
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100

'69 Fender Super Bassman

lol.