I'm making a little amp, Ruby, and don't know a few things?

1. there's just a line going to +9v. Does this mean connect to positive and ground the negative terminal, or vise versa?

2. Same question as 1. but for input jack

3. I bought a stereo input jack, will this work and which of the six "bits" do I connect the "main" circuit to and which do I ground? HERE is the input jack I bought.

Thanks
Ok, from what I know, the negative from the battery and the ground from the input/output jack all go to a common ground.
As for that jack, I've got no idea buddy because it's totally enclosed (I was under the impression those type of jacks were for soldering directly onto PCB?)
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I'm doing I on perfboard. But i imagine if I dont connect some of the terminals to anything, they wont do anything.
Now I just need to know which is positive and which is negative. Any Body know?
Last edited by supergerbil at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by the_random_hero
Ok, from what I know, the negative from the battery and the ground from the input/output jack all go to a common ground.

That's correct. Also, the ground lug of the volume pot will go to common ground.

If you bought the same input jack shown on the picture, it isn't for soldering onto a PCB. Notice how it has lugs for wires, not small pins? Also, I only see three connectors, not six.

Anyway, usually the lug closest to the input (leftmost on that picture) is sleeve, then ring, and finally tip. If you have a multimeter it's easy to test - plug a cable into the jack and see which lug shows connectivity with which part of the cable plug. If you don't have one, it's easy to improvise with a 9V battery, a couple of short wires and your tongue as the current detector

1. there's just a line going to +9v. Does this mean connect to positive and ground the negative terminal, or vise versa?

+9V means the positive end of whatever power source you're using. The negative end will go to ground.

2. Same question as 1. but for input jack

"In" means the tip of the input jack, which is what carries the signal.

Also, if you're using a battery, you'll want to connect the negative from battery to the sleeve of the input jack, and the ring of the input jack to ground. Or vice versa. This way, when there's nothing plugged in there's no current in the circuit and the battery won't be drained. If you plug a mono cable into the jack the sleeve and ring will be shorted and the battery negative will be connected to ground, providing power to the circuit. This is why you'll want to use a stereo input jack in the first place, unless of course you're planning on adding a separate on/off switch.
Last edited by indrek13 at Feb 12, 2007,
Thankyou. I can now solder my circuit together. Is a standard guitar cable mono or stereo
Last edited by supergerbil at Feb 12, 2007,