Hey can any of you dudes and maybe dudettes out there, gimme some songs with good an easy bass solos in? forget about Pulling Teeth and Orion im already attempting them.

Last edited by Satan Man at Feb 12, 2007,
you seem to play metal... so I'm gonna advise you on bass solo's fom different genres as well...

On the RHCP Live at Hyde Park CD, there's a bass solo after By The Way. It's very good, gets your fingers moving around a bit... I like it anyway.

Although not a bass solo, there's a bit in Steve Vai's "Damn You" that has a really cool, quite long bass/guitar harmony that could very well stand alone as a bass solo... if you listen to it/ look at the powertab/guitar pro file, you'll know which bit I'm talking about

How about looking at some pieces of music, with simple, long breakdowns, and improvising over them? Smoke on the Water is a great example.
My Generation by The Who? Not strictly a solo, I don't think, but it's simple to play. Or even Holiday by Green Day is you're looking for stupidly simple.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
NIB by Black Sabbath

To counter and Groove in E minor by Spastic Ink (if you have acess to a 6 string)
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Neon Knight
NIB by Black Sabbath

To counter and Groove in E minor by Spastic Ink (if you have acess to a 6 string)

I'd forgotten about NIB, that's a good one.

While I still have my train of thought, the intro to Sunshine of your Love by Cream is good to play too.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
what an old poster said about improv over breakdowns is reall what you want to be doing.

try this....open up guitar pro or power tab and make a progression....just like a 4/4 and use whole note chords for the guitar...and establish a simple downbeat ( maybe on two or one) with a snare hit to go along with it. This creates a solid beat to solo to.

Next...choose what key the progression will be in. An easy pattern goes like Tonic->3rd->6th->Tonic

So in the key of Em that would be Em -> G -> C -> Em and cycle that. next, list out the notes in the guitar chords so you know what notes are acceptable to ring out.

Em = E B E G B E (low to high)
G = G B D G B G
C = C E G C E

add some chromatic runs in between the notes that are ringing out....and you learn to improvise pretty quickly. Solos have everything to do with note intervals and underlying chords.

After you get this stuff down, work on using different time sigs ( like a 3/4 waltz or 12/8 triplet madness) with different keys and progressions.

Overwhelming Theory FTW.....

or you could just learn Portrait of Tracy by Jaco.....
break on through - the doors
other side - RHCP
anything off of paranoia by Sabbath

damn, we should just made a huge thread of all of these topics.
then nobody would have anything to say.

oh..wait.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
If you start now, in a few months of solid, serious practice you might be able to play most of the bass solo in Steve Vai's "Blue Powder."