hey guys,

i've been playing and tinkering around with guitar's for a good few years now and i've decided before i build a guitar from scratch i'd put one together from parts instead. i've decided to make up a telecaster and buy various parts for it as i come across them (eBay and the like) but if i buy a body, for example, from an 80's tele will any standard tele neck fit it or do you have to match up the parts with the ones from the same era?

is this the same for everything else like machine heads, bridge etc.
^^ i am goin to use the original stuff but i'm saying that if i see a neck from a 70's tele and a body from an 80's model are they compatable or is there any design issues/modifications i should know about?
There are several different tele bridges that are all essentially the same design. It will depend on how your body is set up. Most teles are string through design however squires are not. You'll have to choose a bridge after the fact unless you are prepared to fit one on your body. As for the neck, any Fender tele neck from any era should work fine, or even a licensed replacement neck will work. Tuners are up to your preference.

HTH,
R-
Don't drink water, fish #@$! in it.
I am doing a similar thing with a fender Jaguar. The only thing I found is that because my body is a "crafted in Japan" I needed a "crafted in Japan" pickguard and control plates to match as there were slight diffrences from the American made Jaguars with the screw hole positions etc... Not sure if you need to watch out for anything like that with a Tele, but the necks should definatly be interchangeable.
^^ i was originally goin to do a jazzmaster but thought the parts would be too scarce and possibly not interchangable!!

how are you finding getting stuff for it? where do you tend to look?
Hmm, Maybe try getting all the parts from like Warmoth. Atleast the body, the neck and stuff, I believe that might be slightly cheaper? Depends one what you are looking for, Warmoth sells routed telecaster bodies for like under $200 and there of good wood too. THis way you will know that atleast the neck and bodies will fit. as for tuners, it's all pretty standard. for the pickguard I THINK it varies, im not quite sure. Most bridges can probably math with the Warmoth stuff too. Hope that helps a bit.
Quote by Thewongster
Hmm, Maybe try getting all the parts from like Warmoth. Atleast the body, the neck and stuff, I believe that might be slightly cheaper? Depends one what you are looking for, Warmoth sells routed telecaster bodies for like under $200 and there of good wood too. THis way you will know that atleast the neck and bodies will fit. as for tuners, it's all pretty standard. for the pickguard I THINK it varies, im not quite sure. Most bridges can probably math with the Warmoth stuff too. Hope that helps a bit.

Yeah, but if you get everything at Warmoth you're looking at some big money. They aren't cheap.

I'd go with the original idea of ebay parts. I did that for a strat and was able to put together a real solid axe for under $300.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.