I'm looking for a new amp to replace my Vox AD30VT. I'm probably going to save up around £600 (thats about $1200).

I've been looking at these but I'm not sure which would be best:

Laney GH50L + Framus 2x12" cab --> around £600

ENGL Thunder 50 Drive E22 1x12" combo --> £482

ENGL Screamer 50 1x12" combo --> £642

I play anything ranging from hard rock ie. ACDC, Scorpions to 80s metal ie. Maiden, Metallica through to more modern metal. Nothing insanely heavy though.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Cheers.
I'd go with the Laney
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
I'd look at the ENGL. But seriously, try them out and figure which one is best for you.
Sent from my iPad.
Trouble is I can't find anywhere that has either of the ENGLs, but I don't want to dismiss them as an option. I should be able to find the Laney though.
Where are you?
They have the ENGL combos (and some lurvley heads) at Electro in Doncaster.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
Where are you?
They have the ENGL combos (and some lurvley heads) at Electro in Doncaster.

I'm in Southampton, and I'm a student so I don't have a car.

Edit: ^ Nolly, does the Laney work better with Vintage 30s or the speakers that come in the Laney cab?
Both are pretty good. Just try it and see if it fits your style and needs. I think both amps can do any genre pretty well. I tried the ENGL thunder 50 (i think, but it was definitely an ENGL combo) that a friend lent me one night and i played songs from Jazz standards like "Autumn leaves" then a bit later, Vivaldi's "summer 1st movement" (shred version) to Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire" and Cream's "the sunshine of you love". It did them all very well.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Can you get to London by train? If so, get to London on the train, then get to Wembley on the tube and go to Wembley Guitar Centre. They've got a lot of good amps and rarer ones too in there. That's where I went to try out ENGLs. I can't really help with the question because I'm torn between the Laney GH50L, Marshall JCM-800 and ENGL Screamer as well!
Quote by Axeman99
Nolly, does the Laney work better with Vintage 30s or the speakers that come in the Laney cab?

There's not much wrong with the standard cab, but a friend of mine had some V30s lying around and let me buy them off him for not very much. The V30s are the benchmark for rock/metal, and if you play those styles, then I would highly recommend them. But anyway, I thought you were looking at the Framus cab anyway?
Quote by Nolly
There's not much wrong with the standard cab, but a friend of mine had some V30s lying around and let me buy them off him for not very much. The V30s are the benchmark for rock/metal, and if you play those styles, then I would highly recommend them. But anyway, I thought you were looking at the Framus cab anyway?

Yeah I am, I just wondered whether a cab with V30s would be better than the standard cab which according to Laney is "designed to enhance the already huge tonal range of this amplifier" or something like that.
I'd say the Laney would suit you best. I've always thought of ENGL's to be more for heavier metal than Laneys.
Quote by Axeman99
Yeah I am, I just wondered whether a cab with V30s would be better than the standard cab which according to Laney is "designed to enhance the already huge tonal range of this amplifier" or something like that.

Well the Framus cabs are darn good, so if rock/metal is your thing, then go for that. But definitely stick with the Laney head
Laney ftw. Mate of mine though picked his up for 300 quid including the Laney 4x12" cab lucky bastard, so make sure you check out ebay enough.
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

I'd go with Laney too, though I suggest you look at the TT series instead of GH. They're a bit more expensive, but having three channels is a nice bonus, and they generally have more features and versatility than the GH, especially for 'lighter' metal and rock stuff. I have the TT50 head and I <3 it very muchly - though the GH is great as well!
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Well ideally I'd like to have roughly the same amount of gain as on Metallicas Black Album. I know I won't get that tone but thats the heaviest I'd play. Can the TT head get that amount of distortion without a boost? Its a bit on the expensive side but I'll look into it.
Quote by ar73m
I'd go with Laney too, though I suggest you look at the TT series instead of GH. They're a bit more expensive, but having three channels is a nice bonus, and they generally have more features and versatility than the GH, especially for 'lighter' metal and rock stuff. I have the TT50 head and I <3 it very muchly - though the GH is great as well!

I think the GH is actually more versatile, it's far more responsive than the TTs IMO. I'd go for the Laney too, most ENGLs I've tried seemed to overprocces the signals way to much for my tastes. But hey, you could like that.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.