Well im planning on changing the bridge pickup of my PRS Billy Martin SE (i know its a billy martin... but its still a good guitar to me). Im deciding between EMG 81's, Dimebucker's, or Invader's. i play alot of metal like trivium, metallica, that sort of thing. any suggestions?
Well, I'd go for the EMG, but are you going to the 60, or 85 to go with it?

Also, do you play anything else other than metal/core?
Quote by The Casualty
Well, I'd go for the EMG, but are you going to the 60, or 85 to go with it?

Also, do you play anything else other than metal/core?

some punk/hardcore stuff as well. but i have a strat with hotrails that i use for my punk stuff. and i dont know about the bridge yet because i cant find 85's in the philippines unless i order. will 81's work with a passive pickup?
I don't think you should use EMG 81's with a passive pick-up they won't work, but others will tell you different. Since you got your other stuff covered with the Strat, and you can't find the 85, I'd say try and find an EMG 60.

James Hetfield uses a 81/60 combo, and it should give you what you're looking for.
yeah i was thinking about that.. but what sucks is they dont sell EMGs here anywhere! it was just by chance that i found someone with an EMG 81.. what i can find here are the Seymour Duncans our the DiMarzio's
Hm... The Seymour Duncans are great pick-ups, and if you can't get another EMG, those would be my second suggestion.

Invaders > EMGs is what I say, but the EMGs would a lot more suited for heavier stuff.

I think you could change some stuff around to make the 81 work with a passive, but I don't know anything about it.
ok ill keep looking around. thanks for the tips. im actually thinking about the dimarzio X2N now. i read somewhere that they work just as well and sound like EMG 81s
Dimebucker=shite
Invader=shite
EMG 81 - good, but mixing passives and actives isn't worth the hassle.

Worthwhile options:
Dimarzio - D-Sonic, Breed, D-Activator (although I've never actually heard one)
SD - Distortion, Custom.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Why would you recommend something you haven't heard?
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Why would you recommend something you haven't heard?

Educated guess based on what it's "supposed" to do, the models Ibanez are using it on, and the TS's requirements. However i shouldn't really have recommended it as such....it's more a "should be worth investigating"...they're pretty new so there's not much info around about them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Bit meh, Dimarzio only introduced it so they had their own twin-bladed, stupidly high-output pickup, they actually originally concieved it as a bit of a joke. You never need that kind of output level from a pickup....there's a reason you can count the number of X2N endorsees on the fingers of one hand.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Esparko
ANTONIO?

Wow, that's interesting to see you come by here.

Panji? hahaha
Quote by steven seagull
Bit meh, Dimarzio only introduced it so they had their own twin-bladed, stupidly high-output pickup, they actually originally concieved it as a bit of a joke. You never need that kind of output level from a pickup....there's a reason you can count the number of X2N endorsees on the fingers of one hand.

so not the X2N then. but about the D Sonic, does it work for standard tuning as well? i play alot of drop tuning. more than half the time my prs is in standard d or drop c
you shouldn't really get EMG's unless you wanna bother changing out your batteries time to time.

But then that's me.
Quote by Esparko
you shouldn't really get EMG's unless you wanna bother changing out your batteries time to time.

But then that's me.

haha yeah i know. but you know that its near impossible to find EMG's here right? and it was just luck that i found an 81. and besides, its hard to put an active with a passive.

edit: oh i just read your post again. you said i shouldn't get an emg? you're probably right. if i do get an EMG ill wait till i can do a 85/81 or 60/81 and change all the pickups
Quote by subliminaldelta
James uses two 81s, if I'm not mistaken.

Kirk uses 81 81
james 60 81

The invader, i have one its good for heavy rhythm, but its leads arnt amazing imo

Dimebucker-no

EMG's good, but require a very good amp with decent quality high gain to be worth the hassle (and you would need 2 active pick ups)

I would suggest looking at some dimazios or (my choice) the high output bare knuckle pickups. Not cheep but 100% amazing x
I want you vincent745!

member #5 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
Well, it was a bit on personal preference on active pickups requiring batteries and I'm kinda paranoid that it might start going dry when i'm performing or something.

Though if you wanna go ahead and get 81's go get them.
Where'd you get the 81 anyway?
Probably the only EMG 81 i know in the Philippines exists in Pekka's guitar heh.

I remember seeing a box of 81's in london when i was trying out guitars though.

Met my LTD
Last edited by Esparko at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by Esparko
Well, it was a bit on personal preference on active pickups requiring batteries and I'm kinda paranoid that it might start going dry when i'm performing or something.

Though if you wanna go ahead and get 81's go get them.
Where'd you get the 81 anyway?
Probably the only EMG 81 i know in the Philippines exists in Pekka's guitar heh.

haha yeah. but some people have found EMG's in the most remote guitar shops. Audiophile used to carry them, until they stopped and now only carry Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio. thats where i plan on getting my pickups so for now im not considering getting EMG's
I see, where do you go to install the pickup?
Or do you do it yourself?

I know of this place called RJ Guitars in Glorietta but had a bad experience with the sales rep where he didn't know crap, I don't really trust them with my guitar after the guy had no idea what a toggle switch was..
dont go to RJ they suck. go to audiophile.. theres stores almost everywhere and they are very helpful. i can give you their number if you want.
Ah, yeah that could probably help.

Do they also know how to replace strings on a guitar that has a Licensed Floyd Rose?
It's time i change the strings on my guitar.

and why don't you go on MSN for this, it's easier to then to wait for 5 minutes replies ya know
i don't know about that. but Pekka would. he just got his guitar strings changed but i don't know where.
Well I do have patience when it comes to tinkering around with guitars, so I figure I'll take it to a tech and maybe watch him do it then try it myself 2 months later.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Ah, thanks.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb