i think that when you buy a guitar and pick it out at the store, its for a reason.
i think that you shuld respect the instrument you bought as it is and that that is the reason you bought it. cause i see guys buying fender strats which have outstandung sound and change the pu's to humbuckers to make em sound like les pauls or sg's.
and why do that when you can save up and get the original?
im my opinion people who change the pu's shuldent, because it shows they want a new sound or a guitar, which totally makes the buying of the guitar useless.
and i think you shuld think and gain some expirience about pu's and guitars in general, and not just go "yeah imgettin a gibson les shnaul and ill probably speng another 500+ dollars on some dimarzibro cause i heard they rock.....and because vai plays em......."

well all that stuff was mi opinion....

discuss.....
any way if you just wanna flame me go ahead ill stop bullshitin' you....just trying to make a disscusion....escuse me for living...
so people havin thier own sound is shit, you want everyone to sound the same? the type of guitar a person plays would then put them in a genre? its like you cant play jazz cause you have a set of emgs.

well I do agree with you a bit but reason for changing can also be that you like the feel of a Fender and think it's put together in a good way and you might like the wood in it and that it's lighter than a gibson.... but then you wan't another more heavier sound to it. It's ok to change PU for that reason but maybe not go so far as putting EMG's in a strat and play metal with it. That sounds more crazy to me...

or something.... I guess my explanation sucked again...
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
dude u need to get laid!!! Stock pickups arnt that great on guitars. Now instead of buying an American Strat, one can just buy a mex strat and put new pickups. That too whichever pickups one likes. So thers choice. Also pickups dont cost 500+!!
Quote by metalman12
Im gonna upgrade to a marshall mg.

Anyone can be inspired
And practice all day
But its those that are
Inspired each and every day
That achieve success
Quote by meharvan
dude u need to get laid!!! Stock pickups arnt that great on guitars. Now instead of buying an American Strat, one can just buy a mex strat and put new pickups. That too whichever pickups one likes. So thers choice. Also pickups dont cost 500+!!

haha that didnt register im head till you quoted it again 500+

Nothing wrong with changing piuckups, but i agree with you in that a lot of people seem to do it for the sake of it. Changing pickups is the cool thing to do at the moment, everybody's read that they should do it so they've convinced themselves to do it. Half the time they won't be able to tell the difference between the stocks and the new ones anyway, and quite often their amps are so shit that it's immaterial.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
there are many reasons, for example, buying a farily stock budget guitar and wanting it to sound better, or just wanting to change your sound to something good without forking out huge amounts for a new guitar.

and how about just for the fun of it, to make your guitar more original, give it more personality...
I changed the pickups on my strat because the hum made positions 1,3 and 5 unplayable.
Quote by beeboshain
so people havin thier own sound is shit, you want everyone to sound the same? the type of guitar a person plays would then put them in a genre? its like you cant play jazz cause you have a set of emgs.

Um... i don't think ANY emg's can do traditional jazz justice... But Fusion Jazz, surely...
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
i see guys buying fender strats which have outstandung sound and change the pu's to humbuckers to make em sound like les pauls or sg's.
and why do that when you can save up and get the original?

here's some points

1. they can't save up for the original for whatever reason
2. they may love the sound of an SG, but can't stand the look or the neck or the wood or whatever
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
Yeah, people usually swap out their strat or tele single coils either for noiseless or maybe a hotter noiseless single coil. The hum is honestly unplayable in a live situation with most single coil pickups. Strats are also a VERY comfortable guitar to play, which is why they come in a variety of configs and are an alternative to LP's and other brands. (HSS, HH, etc.)
Although you cant get a true LP sound out of a strat, you can thicken the sound a bit with a HH or HSS model.
Personally, I like the single coil sound once in a while...especially in the neck position.

here's some points

1. they can't save up for the original for whatever reason
2. they may love the sound of an SG, but can't stand the look or the neck or the wood or whatever

Moreover, a strat will never sound like an SG, or LP, but modifying the guitar so it sounds a bit more like an SG or LP will make an interesting hybrid-sound.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.