Hi everyone. I need some advice. I play the guitar for a year now. I've been practing string skipping just one string (I play a note on the top E string, another on B and another on G, then I skip to the top E string and do it all over again)
My teacher says I should be able to do this at 80 bpm(16th notes) but alot of times i keep missing the top E string. This is frustrating since I've been playing this for 5 months now.
How can I avoid missing that string?

thanks
If you are into metal and like Megadeth, you could learn to play the intro to 'Foreclosure of a Dream'

Play the intro and the 'Guitar 1' part in this tab

It's a really catchy clean-channel lick with tons of string skipping. It's tricky to play at first, but once you get it, it sounds awesome.

I'm just starting out with the guitar also and this song was picked by my teacher to teach me : accurate finger movement, string skips, tremolo picking, etc

It's more fun than playing open E - open B - open G
I don't fully agree with your teacher.
You don't need to be able to do anything at any speed, especially if you're a beginner.

There are a lot of excercises you can try to help get some string co-ordination.

Try this, I included up and down notation for alternate picking.

E|----------------------------------------|
B|-8-11-10-11-----------5-8-6-8-----------|
G|-d-u--d--u---6-9-7-9--d-u-d-u-----------|
D|-------------u-d-u-d-----------5-8-7-8--|
A|-------------------------------u-d-u-d--|
E|----------------------------------------|

E|------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------|
G|-6-9-7-9----------------------------|
D|-d-u-d-u-----------5-8-7-8----------|
A|----------5-8-7-8--d-u-d-u--4-7-5-7-|
E|----------u-d-u-d-----------u-d-u-d-|

(Does anyone know where this is from by the way for an E-cookie?)
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Last edited by AngilasGuy at Feb 13, 2007,
I agree.

Use your metronome and set to something really slow that you can easily manage. Then go a little faster. Then a bit more etc etc. Before you know it you'll be up to speed and also accurate and in tempo.

I believe this is the best method, slowly slowly catchy monkey yada yada
I'd like to thank everyone for their help and encouragement. Especially Free, AngilasGuy & ErieJeepSteve. I slowed down quite a bit and already i can see improvement. My teacher never told me to slow down... :| which is really worrying me. He knows enough, he's probably been through this, how could he not tell me to slow down? I'm dumbstruck. Whatever. Thanks guys!