hey im not sure if this goes here but anyway. what is the best way to record a full band with 3 guitar players. I need a cheap solution that is under £150 ($290 approx correct me if im wrong).
I heard about the line 6 stuff and edirol and tapco stuff too but i need to know what is best.
i have a tascam us-224 and i love it.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
do u mean all at once or on tracks?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
either but i think tracks would be better. i would like as many tracks as possible
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMPS04

or more if u want a new boss mini recorder.

a shure instrument mic costs about $90. if u want, u can substitute AKG mic for a bit less.

and pick up a cheap behringer mixer. if u plan on micing more than one thing at a time.

or download AUDACITY. its free. you just need an ok sound card in ur computer.
you can get a good mic and line it into the computer.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

would that mean i could possibley record a whole band at one onto a single track using a mixer. then add anything else over the top?
well, depends how u want to spend ur money.

you can buy several mics. run them thru a mixer and line into a computer with a recording program like audacity.

they usually sounds ok-good. depending on mic placement.

sounds good-better if u record the vocals after and then mix the whole thing from 2 different tracks. onto the computer recording program.

you can buy a few mics (drums usually need a couple - few mics) and record one thing at a time. mixing on the computer. with the free program or another that u buy.

thats more of a better - best situation. depending on ur computer capabilities.

if you want portability. and better- best situation. a mini digital recorder might be the thing for u. you would still need a mic or more to capture everyone at once or one at a time. but u can transfer tracks from computer to computer. or mix it on the recorder onto what ever computer or burner u wanted.

a mixer comes in handy when u are using 3 or 4 mics (like for a drummer) and need to line them all into one line in. either to a recorder or to a computer.

behringer has a $19 mini mixer for 4 mics at a time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ooooh is there a real cheap mixer that has eq and a usb out or a cable or something cos that would be the iceing.
also if i record the drums then bass then guitars and finaaly vocals would sound best. would recording all instruments then vocals be as good?

edit: found A cable http://www.music123.com/SoundTech-LightSnake-USB-Intelligent-Instrument-Cable-i427337.music would this work. i would have to import it to the UK tho dolphin music do it but it costs £50
Last edited by mrperson at Feb 12, 2007,
you dont need USB. to go into a computer.

u just need a regular 1/4" or RCA line out then u buy a $2 adapter to make the other end a 1/8" line in. into the computer back.

the small holes mic blue, speaker -green (out), and line in-red.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

oh i get you now so i can get a mixer, a few mics and adapter that would let me run a cable from the mixer into the line in. would it work with the mic in? i dont see why it wouldnt

edit: just by suprise i found the right adapter in my house. got it in my hand right now.
Last edited by mrperson at Feb 12, 2007,
it will work with mic it too. but usually u get a better sound from line in.

just be sure to select line in on ur computer program.

or unmute the mic, if u use the mic.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by mrperson
hey im not sure if this goes here but anyway. what is the best way to record a full band with 3 guitar players. I need a cheap solution that is under £150 ($290 approx correct me if im wrong).
I heard about the line 6 stuff and edirol and tapco stuff too but i need to know what is best.

just run the mixer output (get a mixer if ya dont have one) to the line input of a good audio card for a desktop computer or laptop.

edit
stay away from the behringer mixers,,,they just are noisy

i use a Yamaha MG10/2 and am extremely happy with it but ill be upgrading to the MG14/4 soon as i need a few more spots

I go down out of my record out of the mixer to some RCA cable down to a 1/8" stereo phone adapter which goes to the light blue input of my Sound blaster live Audio card in the computer.

all mics and inputs are standard 1/4 or XLR

for recording i use Sonar but Audicity is fine
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 12, 2007,
imo, there's nothing wrong with behringer mixers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I agree with Moody that the Behringer mixers add noise - Behringer is usually the bottom of the line in the audio world, which means its stuff is cheap, and often quite usuable, but in this case you will want something that doesn't add unwanted noise. That $20 Behringer will only be a pain in the butt since you it won't sound the best and won't have the inputs/controls you will need. I agree that the Yamaha MG10/2 is a good option. Second, for the best sound - learn at least a little about what you are doing, and it will reward you immensely. This is some stuff recorded by my mate who used only the built in mic in his computer. Click on the song "Let Go." He is using absolutely no gear. No mixer no nothing. Just the mic built into the computer, and garageband. Lol, he got tired of coming over to my studio. Amazing recordings can be done on a cheap budget - you just need to understand what you are doing.
Hope this helped
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

yamaha is fine too, but the idea that behringer mixers arent worth the money is nuts.

have u even tried one?^ because it sounds like u havent.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

right so how much am i looking at for a yamaha mixer? ive recorded a couple of things running my amp direct into the line in and with audacity and it sounds great.-well for me. so a mixer and a few mics and im done correct?
depends on the mics.

i use shure mics. at $90 USD and up.

if u just get one and no mixer u can pretty much get anything done.

if u want to add on extra mics and a mixer, add a couple hundred USD.

in case u werent sure, mics are nice because even tho a line in from an amp can sound ok, micing the amp, gives you a better sound, ur tone is shaped by the amps speaker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

true my vox doesn;t sound like it doesn when it is not run with the line in.
AD30vt not anything fancy
ad30s are pretty nice practice-intermediate amps. not always known for metal. but still, a solid choice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

it is a pretty nic amp. and for metal go on the nu-metal amp model and scoop the mids with no effeccts and it is pure evil. so if i get a few shure mics a miny mixure it would sound better?
Sorry I didn't mean to bash the Behringer mixers, they do make some nice mixers, and really my point was to beware of that $20 one. I was trying to just make the point that Behringer has been able to make some really cheap products - which can be really nice - if you just need something to get the job done, but that in the audio world you generally get what you pay for. So it is not that Behringer as a company is necessarily bad - it is just that they make cheaper products that generally do not sound quite as good as their more expensive counterparts.

So a $100 Behringer mixer should be comparable to the Yamaha, I would just cautious of anything as dirt cheap as $20. But talk to Jenny - if she has used it she should have a much better idea of its sound than I do.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

yeh i was actually looking at getting one of the £40 (close to $90) mixers. yamaha mixers are actually not very many on the webs i can find-UK ones