i got my first acoustic guitar the other day. it is a Alvarez FD60SBK and i love it. so what can i do to keep it at top shape and playability
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
I know from experience you should keep it in a dry place that won't get really hot or really cold (all can affect the wood) also if you don't already have a stand and at least a gig bag I'd say invest in them... the stand is good because you always have a safe place to keep your guitar and the gig bag is good because you don't have to worry about it as much when transporting it. Also it never hurts to keep a soft rag handy so you can wipe down the strings after playing... this prevents rusting and keeps the guitar looking good. I'm sure there is a lot more but these are some basic steps I always take with my guitars.
So Your Sickness Weighs A Ton And God's Name Is Smack For Some
God Smack by Alice in Chains

those boys in Mother Love Bone... They're like soup, they're like nothing bad
Holy Roller by Mother Love Bone

RIP Layne Staley and Andrew Wood
when do i need to usually tune it
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
i got my first acoustic guitar the other day. it is a Alvarez FD60SBK and i love it. so what can i do to keep it at top shape and playability

Well as for keeping in its best possible condition, it should be kept in its case. I think that is a statement that pretty much no one is gonna disagree with. But, if youre like me n like having your guitar(s) accessible and on display then i think a stand is perfectly acceptable as long as the environment is guitar friendly (if you want more info on a 'guitar friendly' environment just ask).
Umm...give it a wipe down with a soft lint free cloth when needed.
Use lem-oil (or something similar) on the fretboard.
Change the strings before they go rusty...lol. Thats about all i can think of off the top of my head.

when do i need to usually tune it

When it needs it. Sounds like a smartass answer...lol, but seriously its different for each guitar. It probably couldnt hurt to tune it up eevery day before u play.
if your ear is good you will no straight away when its out of tune.
If its not there yet then before you play is a good time to tune
If the guitar has new strings that was just put on it you might have to tune it more than usual for awhile. New strings sometimes go out of tune quick when they are just put on a guitar.