can I mod my ds-1 so that it sounds more like an overdrive such as the TS-9 but still have more gain. I don't mind if it loses some gain I'd just like it to have at least as much as the overdrive on my amp which is a Hot rod Deluxe
why didnt you get an overdrive pedal. if your pedal can be returned return it and then get a boss super overdrive.
Quote by Seljer
I've been looking at some DS1 schematics but I can't figure out what the hell is going on with the gain part (because they used some wierd opamp for the main chip). But basically, changing the value of the pot would only change the range of gain it controls and possibly a few things related to how much treble/bass gets through because of the capacitors around that section of the circuit.

So my next best idea: the clipping diodes, somewhere on the circuit you can see 2 little diodes next to each other in opposite directions. Change those out for something that requires more voltage to get going, thus raising the level where the clipping occurs (and also giving the pedal more output).

Mess around with things, try pairs of different diodes for different sounds. Old germanium diodes clip very quickly (about 0.2V), silicon ones about about (0.6V , 1N4148, 1N914, etc.), LEDs at even more (about 1.2->1.6V, varies from colour to colour). Try 2 in one direction and one in the other and things like that. Using different diodes in each direction gives you assymetrical clipping (which is one of the things you can do to make the pedal sound a bit more tubeampy)
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/diodes.html

or just do a bunch of other mods to it http://www.robertkeeley.com/audio6l6/dstech.html

In the end I don't really think you can turn it into a regular overdrive pedal if thats what you're looking for alltogether, get another pedal (you could probably go and swap it for a SD1 if you find someone willing)

From an old thread. Use the search next time.
Quote by mrperson
why didnt you get an overdrive pedal. if your pedal can be returned return it and then get a boss super overdrive.

I don't think that has enough gain does it?
Oh I also want to make the clipping symmetrical, what should I do to get symmetrical clipping?
Quote by thebrewfan
Oh I also want to make the clipping symmetrical, what should I do to get symmetrical clipping?

The DS-1 already has symmetrical clipping.
Quote by mr_hankey
The DS-1 already has symmetrical clipping.

Oh...wait then maybe I want asymmetrical clipping. What do most overdrives have?