I've been playing for about a year and a half with just an acoustic--I have a Yamaha FG730S, which I like a lot.
I'd like to get an electric that is decent but not very expensive to start with. I've read around a bit and am thinking about getting these:

Squier Affinity Strat

Fender Frontman 25R

I know you get what you pay for, and I plan to buy nicer stuff some day, but for now, do folks think this is decent stuff? I'm into pretty much everything music-wise and don't plan on playing live or playing blazing guitar solos or metal. Ok, maybe blazing guitar solos
Also, I don't really want an amp that has a lot of on-board fx processors, like a Roland Cube.
Any input is much appreciated!
ive got a 25R. it's fine. with a speaker upgrade its above average. but nothing with too much gain at all. it's really a clean amp.

a little more for a small Vox might serve u better. but that's ur call.

the squier affinity strat is pretty good. the pickups are a little weak. but the body is solid. good for modding.

if u want another good guitar in the same area. check out the squier '51.

it's got a humbucker and a single coil. And a nice body. for only $99.
with the extra $50 u can toss in an upgraded pickup or upgrade the amp a little.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU325100

just a thought.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by FacingUsAll
For a starter electric guitar, I think the very best is a Behringer iAXE393 for the following reasons:

1) It's cheap. Only $99.

2) The 3 Single coils will help you develop your ear because of the different tones you can get from 5-way switching.

3) It's got a trem that you can learn goofy trem-crap on .

4) It plugs into your computer and runs off of amp modeling software so you don't have to waste money on a crappy amp that you'll want to get rid of later on.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I realize this is your first electric, but you have been playing for 1 1/2 years. I think you will want something better than a squier. Beginer guitars are only good because they are so cheap, so if someone decides they don't like guitar, at least they are only out $150. other than that they usually use bad materials, hardware, electronics, and have bad quality control. But it sounds like you are past that begining stage. You should try out different guitars for yourself and see what you like the best. If you like strats, try a MIM strat.