I've narrowed down my amp selection to either a JCM 800 or a JCM 900. JCM 800's seem to be more expensive, so I dunno what to do. I seen the chart about marshalls that that one dude did (sorry man, i forgot your name, lol) and it looks like the JCM 800 is better all around. But from what I hear, the 800 and 900 both arent best in gain, so this is my question. I have no idea what an overdrive pedal does, so someone needs to fill me in. Does it just make things better but doesnt change the amps original tone?? I figured if I got one of these amps, that I could throw an overdrive in front of it and get the metal sounds I want.

BTW, I think the 800 that I want would probably be a combo, 212, 50 watts, 4210 maybe? And the 900 would probably be a 100 watt dual reverb head. So, can anyone give me a little help here?
..::RIP::..
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
What sorta tones are you aiming for? because the Jcm 900 is a more modern dist. than the jcm 800!
I've been playing the 900 for years. I have the 4502 (50w dual reverb) and the 4100 100w dual reverb. Great amps for everything except like Death Metal. I also use a TS808 in front once in a while to get better dynamics and harmonics on both channels.
jcm 900: 90's grunge
jcm 800: 70's/80's rock & metal

Ex: smashing pumpkins used a jcm 900
slayer, zakk wylde & slash uses a jcm 800
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
i think alot of "grunge" used 800's too when i looked at some players equipment..its seems just about everyone has an 800 in their line up

edit-just fyi...you say smashing pumpkins used a jcm 900 but its not in their equipment list...just don't want to give him the wrong impression of sound...they may have used one but its not on what would be a close to official list...

btw..if you want a good pumpkins are "grunge" sound...try out the Big Muff...the sustain on that is amazing...listen to rocket from smashing pumpkins and you can get a fuzz similiar to that..
TOM MORELLO SHOOK MY HAND, I'VE PLAYED BETTER SINCE!!!!
Last edited by lespaul81 at Feb 13, 2007,
Quote by lespaul81
i think alot of "grunge" used 800's too when i looked at some players equipment..its seems just about everyone has an 800 in their line up

edit-just fyi...you say smashing pumpkins used a jcm 900 but its not in their equipment list...just don't want to give him the wrong impression of sound...they may have used one but its not on what would be a close to official list...

btw..if you want a good pumpkins are "grunge" sound...try out the Big Muff...the sustain on that is amazing...listen to rocket from smashing pumpkins and you can get a fuzz similiar to that..

The threadstarter never said anything about The Pumpkins(who, btw, are NOT grunge).

On-topic, what genre and bands are you trying to sound like, exactly?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by demea
I've been playing the 900 for years. I have the 4502 (50w dual reverb) and the 4100 100w dual reverb. Great amps for everything except like Death Metal. I also use a TS808 in front once in a while to get better dynamics and harmonics on both channels.

I use myne for opeth which is death metal and i love the sound. Some active emgs a equilizer and tubescreamer and your there for any sound you want
I'm looking to get stuff like Children of Bodom, Carcass, Death, Norther, Opeth-ish tone, pretty much death\black metal, and I'd like to get the 80's and 70s sounds too, like Quiet Riot, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Ozzy, Van Halen, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera kinda stuff. Any way it goes, its gotta be metal stuff, because that's about all I play. I guess that's some pretty big ranges of tone to want outta one amp, so the amp probably needs to be pretty versatile. I was set on getting a Peavey XXX, because I heard they were really versatile, so maybe I should go back to trying to get that or a 5150 if I want all these tones???
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
My opinion? Try out all of those amps before you voice an opinion. Don't strive for someone else's tone, look for something that you like.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
I don't live in a state that sells good music equipment, lol, unless it's bluegrass stuff. The closest thing around here that sells amps is a store a few miles away that only sells Rocktrons and Riveras, which are both rediculously overpriced.
Randy Rhoads & Dimebag
Try the Rivera Knucklehead then....... I heard it's an unmuddy Recto...... But I love Rectos anyway...
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Generalpwnt
My opinion? Try out all of those amps before you voice an opinion. Don't strive for someone else's tone, look for something that you like.

While thats good in spirit, your phrasing doesnt quite work. If hes looking for someone elses tone, he clearly likes it, so one can assume hes already found a tone he likes. I do, however, support just trying them each out and choosing the one you like.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by X_Deathrow_X
I'm looking to get stuff like Children of Bodom, Carcass, Death, Norther, Opeth-ish tone, pretty much death\black metal, and I'd like to get the 80's and 70s sounds too, like Quiet Riot, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Ozzy, Van Halen, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera kinda stuff. Any way it goes, its gotta be metal stuff, because that's about all I play. I guess that's some pretty big ranges of tone to want outta one amp, so the amp probably needs to be pretty versatile. I was set on getting a Peavey XXX, because I heard they were really versatile, so maybe I should go back to trying to get that or a 5150 if I want all these tones???

Well bodom use the Jcm 900 so.. and it be able to cover about 90% of those bands!!
Quote by False_God
Well bodom use the Jcm 900 so.. and it be able to cover about 90% of those bands!!

Bodom uses JCM 2000... or at least Alexi does.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Out of the 900 or the 800 Id say the 900 as far as versitality goes. I havnt read any of the thread though lol soo...