I'm looking for exercises or tips to help improve my runs. I have sweep picking nailed, but I've been lacking practice on my runs, ascending and descending, so now that I wanted to start working on them a lot more, I realised I dont know any good exercises for them. Im looking for basically runs for solo's for heavy metal type music, with blistering fast shredding through runs and scales.

Can someone please either point me in the right direction of good run exercises, or show me some examples to practice.

I am willing to put all the time in to practice these exercises, I just need some help from you guys on finding the exercises.

Thanks a lot in advance =)
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Yeah thats what I've been doing so far, just running up and down scales, but I was hoping to kind of find better ways to mix up the notes in a scale so its not just always me ascending or descending in a scale really fast. Any advice on kind of mixing up the order to give it a different sound when ascending and such? I dont know if Im wording what I mean correctly.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Check out some Trivium solos, they have quite a lot of that kinda stuff in them, and maybe learn some of those?
R E G G A E
Thats a good idea, for awhile now I've been straying from learning other bands stuff cause I was more interested in playing my own, but learning some of their solos can give me ideas and probably help me out, thanks!! Any recommendations of one of their solos in perticular?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Yeah Trivium solos are pretty hard core. they look great in front of non-guitar players too, not that i can do any of them, ive only been playing a year, but there always impressive. Anyhow try maybe the gunshot solo. also, while doing scales, maybe add some natural harmonics and pinch harmonics, thatll change the sound. and you can try jazz scales too, i think they usually have like one more fret in there somewhere.
sweet thanks a lot!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Instead of just running up and down scales, try doing what's called contouring.
Think of the notes as rungs on a ladder. Start at 1, go up three, come back to 2 go up three more, come back to 3, etc.
There are alot of combinations this way: 1,2,3,4 / 2,3,4,5 / 3,4,5,6/. Not just in groups of four, either...2, 3,5,6.
Some can get pretty tricky, but it keeps things mixed up and you don't get bored running up and down all the time.
gunshot to the head of trepidation, like light to the flies, anthem, sadness will sear and dying in your arms would be their 'easier' solos. sadness and anthme have a bit of sweeping if you can manage it but they dont compare to teh sweeps in ignition or the world cant tear us apart so try the songs i listed for ideas.
hey sorry to dig up an old thread but i wasnt sure if i should post in this one or make a new one....so...

im having trouble with my runs too, could you give me some scales to try out? i have tried solos like like light to flies and dying in your arms- i have the easiest one down (dying in your arms) but i muck up on just the first run of like light to flies- i really want to improve.

Any help on how to improve this?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia