I have a peavey JSX, and although it does have tons of gain, I find it doesnt have enough gain to cut the reallly high gain stuff like deathmetal/hardcore, and I was wondering if a boost pedal like the TS 808 would help me get that extra gain needed for those types of high gain music?

I was also hoping for most sustain in my lead tone, will a boost pedal help with that as well?

If so, please recommend me what boost pedal you think would help me best for my needs.
If not, what should I be looking at getting?

Thanks in advance!!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
The TS808 is an overdrive pedal, not a boost. And it's better suited for classic rock and blues than high gain metal. A Big Muff of some sort might be better for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The TS808 is an overdrive pedal, not a boost.

It is if you turn down the drive. Sure, it's not completely clean, but who cares?
Quote by mr_hankey
It is if you turn down the drive. Sure, it's not completely clean, but who cares?

True. Any pedal with a volume control can be used as a boost.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

Well, not really. A chorus with a volume control can barely be considered a boost, even though it boosts.
So I shouldnt be looking for a boost pedal? Should I look for an overdrive pedal to boost my high gain channel?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
So I shouldnt be looking for a boost pedal? Should I look for an overdrive pedal to boost my high gain channel?

Yes, a tube screamer would be good; or some boutique equivalent.
I'm not sure how much output level boost a Tubescreamer, or any other overdrive pedal, has. Booster pedals (Rocktron Nitro, EHX LPB-1, ZVEX Super Hard-On, etc) have 20-30dB or thereabouts boost, so unless overdrive pedals can match that, I'd rather look at a booster.

Edit: come to think of it, most EQ pedals also offer an output level control, so you could also try one of those. Might even be a bit more versatile thanks to the extra tone shaping options.

Quote by slatsmania

Not to nitpick, but didn't you just claim the opposite in this topic?
Last edited by indrek13 at Feb 12, 2007,
Yeah Im definitely looking at the MXR 10-Band EQ, I'll be picking one of those up for my lead tone shaping without doubt, but I was really hoping for something to boost my gain? Can overdrive pedals do it, or can boost pedals do it?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
Can overdrive pedals do it, or can boost pedals do it?

Yes and yes. Try both out with your setup and see which provides the amount of gain you need.
haha I figured you'd say that, and thats probably my best bet anyway!, Thanks for the advice guys!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
Yeah Im definitely looking at the MXR 10-Band EQ, I'll be picking one of those up for my lead tone shaping without doubt, but I was really hoping for something to boost my gain? Can overdrive pedals do it, or can boost pedals do it?

boosting gain is exactly what mxr micro amp does
look for them on ebay or something
POST FINDER
microamp or EHX LPB-1, the LPB is significantly cheaper and works better, too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Sweet Im going to go read up on the micro amp and the LPB. Thanks guys. Any other suggestions?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
well, the LPB is gonna own anything else in its price range. if you wanted to build one, i could hook you up with a schematic for a LPB, but that's about it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
What are people's thoughts on a Fulltone OCD? I really liked the sound of the one I heard, and if you go used on Ebay you get them at a very decent price, which is not bad for what many consider a boutique manufacturer
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Ehh seems like you might want a distortion pedal, not a boost/OD? I dunno...
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
+1 for tubab0y.

If you want a straight up boost for cheap and without all the gain and stuff other add, buy/build the LPB-1 (Linear Power Boost) from EH. Very easy build for cheap. If you want to build it you can PM me or something and I can help you out.
Quote by indrek13
Not to nitpick, but didn't you just claim the opposite in this topic?

An overdrive pedal is an effect within itself, it is not designed to drive an amps tubes. Strictly speaking, an OD is not a boost.

But, like most things in life, there is no black & white. The Edge used a Deluxe Memory Man as a boost for years. That's not what it's designed for, but it can be used that way.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
^Uhh, no, he does not want a distortion pedal.

He wants more gain and more sustain. A distortion pedal might be his best choice for that, no matter how he phrases the question.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Can building the LPB-1 be cheaper and more effective then buying it?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
And Im not looking for a distortion pedal, because it would sound like balls running it through my high gain channel, I was just looking for a gain boost for my high gain channel, to kick it into ultragain mode.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded