Hi all,

Ok, I'm having a kid this year and I'm buying a 2007 MIA Strat today that I can hand down to him/her when the kid grows up.

Questions:

1. How do I ensure that the Strat is a 2007 model? Thru a serial number? Don't want to wait 15 years and realize it's a 2006 year you were conceived model.

2. Should I pick it up at Sam Ash or Guitar Center in LA? Any other LA area recommendations? I have cash.

3. I'm not that good at playing, how can I make sure I don't get a crappy one? I always feel intimidated when I go to these guitar shops 'cuz I'm not covered with ink from the neck down and I don't have long Fabio hair like most of the ppl that work there.

Thank you for your help!

CaCo
just go in tell one of those guys your dilemma theyll probably be pretty helpful
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
Ask to play something right out of the box. Or get a custom job ordered directly from Fender. But playing the stuff that's the newest out will be your best bet. Also, have they made any model changes between the years? I think all 2006 guitars came with the 60th anniversary stamp on their neck plates.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ Good point, the 2006 models have a commemorative button on the back of the headstock.

The first thing you should do is look at the serial number. It should begin with "Z7" which stands for 2007. However, because it is early in the year, some of the new 2007s could have been made ahead of time in late 2006.

What you could do is ask the store to order one in for you straight from the Fender factory. Usually they will do this if they don't have the colour/model that you want. Because you're in the same state, this shouldn't take long and you can be sure that it was built in the most recent production run. The store will give you a call when it comes in and they'll open the box when you come to pick it up.

If you have a friend who plays guitar well, bring him/her along to the store to help you select the guitar. If not, take your time looking over the guitar and make sure the store has a 30-day return policy.

I think this is a great idea, by the way! Do you know if it's a boy or girl?

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Feb 12, 2007,
if it's a fender and it says 'made in US' or the like, it's a great guitar.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the awesome advice. We're not sure if it's a boy or a girl, but I just hope the kid appreciates it when he/she grows up.

I just thought of how sweet it would have been if my pops would have bought me something nice from back in '76. So for all you out there who are thinking of having a kid, get them a nice guitar that will only become more valuable as time goes on. Had my pops done something like this for me, I think I would treasure the guitar more than any other physical possession I currently own.

Thanks again,

CaCo
Sweet idea, I am a proud owner of a MIA Strat. They rule, very thoughtful of you
Save your money and buy diapers!!! How in the world can you even think about buying a guitar now?

I have three daughters and there's never enough time to even think about playing guitar.

Uncle Sam will reward you with a yearly $1000 tax credit so you can buy that Strat anytime.

Most on this site haven't even reached puberty so they cannot relate.
Congratulations & Good Luck.
Buy a Gibson instead fool lol.
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Caco666, i am now officialy presenting you with this award, you are probably the best and most thoughtfull parent that has ever been known, I give you kudos and good luck with the kid and the guitar
Coolest dad ever.
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
Quote by Siciliano
Save your money and buy diapers!!! How in the world can you even think about buying a guitar now?

I have three daughters and there's never enough time to even think about playing guitar.

If you've got enough time to sit in front of your pc and post on here, then you've enough time to play guitar.

To the threadstarter, nice idea mate. Just make sure you don't 'hand it down' until they are a mature age. I'd hate for you to give it to your 13 year old son and have him say "awww pa, why didn't yer get a Jackson/Ibanez/Gibson*"

*Delete as required.
Quote by Free

I'd hate for you to give it to your 13 year old son and have him say "awww pa, why didn't yer get a Jackson/Ibanez/Gibson*"

To pick any of those above a Fender would be heinous crime, na I'm just playing with the other companies. My personal pick though is Fender.
that a great idea, id buy a gibson but thats just because i play them but i love the idea
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by TUMFP
To pick any of those above a Fender would be heinous crime, na I'm just playing with the other companies. My personal pick though is Fender.

Yeah I agree, which is why I think you totally missed the point.
Quote by nightwalker903
that a great idea, id buy a gibson but thats just because i play them but i love the idea

your sig says you have an epiphone

great idea man, and i doubt theyll have a problem ordering you one from the factory, and it wont take too long considering its somewhere in california (corona i think?)

but anyway great idea, i would have loved if my dad did that for me

and congrats on the kid
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1