I know everyone says Agiles are good guitars, but are they good beginner guitars or are they actually good?
I have a high quality SG and I was thinking about adding a Les Paul to my arsenal, but im pretty short on cash and I dont know when Im gonna get more. So are Agiles in the $300-$400 range, maybe like the AL-3000, actually worth buying or are they just better than other guitars in that range?
if u pay 300-400 for a new guitar, chances are ull get a guitar worth 300-400 dollars, Dont expect it to be anywhere near as good as a real gibson les paul. If you want gibosn copy, personally i would go for an epiphone, im pretty sure they do alot of guitars in that price region.
Quote by Atreideslegend
if u pay 300-400 for a new guitar, chances are ull get a guitar worth 300-400 dollars, Dont expect it to be anywhere near as good as a real gibson les paul. If you want gibosn copy, personally i would go for an epiphone, im pretty sure they do alot of guitars in that price region.

Some Agiles I've played are sure a hell of a lot better than some Gibsons, as well as some Epi's.

The Agile AL-3000 is great, it's not a good beginner guitar, it's a damn good guitar. Nothing else to say about it really.
Quote by The Casualty
Some Agiles I've played are sure a hell of a lot better than some Gibsons, as well as some Epi's.

The Agile AL-3000 is great, it's not a good beginner guitar, it's a damn good guitar. Nothing else to say about it really.

Agreed, but they're not on the same tier of most Gibson Standard LPs. They beat the shit out of pretty much any Epi except the Elitest though.

Their quality control isn't great. If you get a bad one, send it back quickly, before the warranty runs out. They have excellent customer service.

Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Quote by Atreideslegend
if u pay 300-400 for a new guitar, chances are ull get a guitar worth 300-400 dollars, Dont expect it to be anywhere near as good as a real gibson les paul.

Well thats exactly my point. I dont need to buy anything right now. I've got a Gibson SG standard that Im very happy with. But I saw the AL-3000 and it's simply gorgeous. And I've seen many people talk about Agiles being great guitars. So I simply wanted to know if they meant they were great beginner guitars (since they cost so little) or if they were actually great guitars overall.
Because if they are actually good enough guitars that I can keep it for a while without feeling like I should upgrade, then I might go ahead and buy one since that price range is all I can cover right now. I could wait a while and save up for something more expensive, but I have no idea when ill get any more money and If I can get a good guitar for $370, then why not?

Edit: Thank you very much to everyone for your input.
The fact is that it is going to be better than most Epiphones, and even if you do save up for something better, it's still a great guitar.
Quote by bbsbass
Well thats exactly my point. I dont need to buy anything right now. I've got a Gibson SG standard that Im very happy with. But I saw the AL-3000 and it's simply gorgeous. And I've seen many people talk about Agiles being great guitars. So I simply wanted to know if they meant they were great beginner guitars (since they cost so little) or if they were actually great guitars overall.
Because if they are actually good enough guitars that I can keep it for a while without feeling like I should upgrade, then I might go ahead and buy one since that price range is all I can cover right now. I could wait a while and save up for something more expensive, but I have no idea when ill get any more money and If I can get a good guitar for $370, then why not?

Edit: Thank you very much to everyone for your input.

They're excellent guitars for the price. Don't expect it to put your SG to shame though.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Quote by The Casualty
The fact is that it is going to be better than most Epiphones, and even if you do save up for something better, it's still a great guitar.

Alright, thanks a lot. I think I am gonna look into it seriously.

Quote by QuiteTheFellow
They're excellent guitars for the price. Don't expect it to put your SG to shame though.

Haha, thanks but I wasnt expecting that
I think I was just looking through the classifieds section too much and it made me want to buy something. Thats actually where I saw the AL-3000 at, but the guy who's selling it is charging pretty much the same price as it is new, so ill just get a new one unless he drops the price significantly.

Another question: does Agile have a website or anything? Where's the best place to buy them from? Because I looked around online and I could only find secondary dealers. Also musicians friend doesnt sell them.
Quote by Atreideslegend
if u pay 300-400 for a new guitar, chances are ull get a guitar worth 300-400 dollars,

In is a great guitar for the price, no doubt about it. Agile are a little different from other more well known companies, and matching their prices directly to the others isn't quite fair. Basically, the reason the guitars are so cheap is that there's no middlemen.

Look at an Epiphone as an example... First, there's the cost to produce the instrument (less than $100 US) and it's shipping. Now, add the licensing fees to Gibson for the use of the Les Paul name (technically, Epiphone is a different company, even though they're owned by Gibson, and they DO pay licensing fees). Then the regional distributors tack on their profit on each unit they sell to stores. Stores them add on their profit to the final sticker price. (FYI - the "List" or suggested retail price is usually about double what the retailer actually pays for the instrument).

Agile guitars are built directly for Rondo. There's no middleman, no distributors, no retailers, no licensing fees, etc. This is why they can afford to sell their guitars for so much cheaper than the 'big boys'. I don't expect that Rondo would get their individual instruments as cheap as Epiphone or a big name would (because of the sheer volume of what they buy), but the lack of the other hidden costs keeps their prices low.

That being said, I have an AL-3000 (as you can see form my equipment list in my sig). It's my most used guitar. It's my all-around favorite guitar from my collection. It looks good, plays nice, sounds great, and it just all around one badass guitar. I could have paid double for it and still been very happy with it.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
Agile guitars are built directly for Rondo. There's no middleman, no distributors, no retailers, no licensing fees, etc.

Ok, so rondomusic.net is the place to buy them then?

Edit: Haha, thanks to everyone for clearing this up for me.
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
Rondo are the only ones...

And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss an Agile as not measuring up to Gibsons. I can definately say my Gibson is 'better' than my Agile. It's just not $1000 better....
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Ok, thanks a ton to everyone who helped me out in this thread. One last question, is there any way to get one in any colors other than the ones listed on the website? Specificly, I think I probably want to get an AL-3000. But they have a picture of an AL-2000 with a tribal green finish. The tribal green looks fantastic. Any way I could get an AL-3000 in tribal green?
Quote by lefty_strat_str
Only buy guitars that have had their wood harvested from the north side of the tree, during the summer solstice, by virgin druids suffering from dwarfism. Next stupid question, please.
The colors they have listed on their site and on ebay are all they currently have in stock.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a 2x00 model Agile to anyone other than someone looking for a starter guitar. The 3x00 are much better guitars. For the money, the 2x00 series look good and all, but I know I wouldn't buy one.

Ok thanks ill make sure I keep that in mind.

As far as the colors, I figured that was probably all they had. But i didnt know if maybe they put up new colors occasionally or something. Or if I could look into getting a specially made one with the green finish. Except Im sure that would cost extra and, as I already stated, Im pretty short on cash.
Quote by lefty_strat_str
I have an agile al3000 in black. After I put emg 81-60 in it, it changed my mind about getting a gibson. It's built solid and who else are going to give you a two-piece body, one piece neck, ebony fretboard with jumbo frets, abalone markers, high grade pots and wirings and shielded covers, and decent hardware on it like grovers for $369? It also have type 5 alnico pups which I think are little too warm for me but sounded good. That's a lot of goodies that you'll find on higher priced guitars.

Only one problem with them, their QC are spotty and there are flawed ones out there but Rondo Music won't let you down if you don't mind a little hassle because it's all mail order unless you're in New Jersey. My guitar had a nut that was cut too high so I used my dremel and cleaned up the slot and regulated the nut. I also found tool marks on it but very small.

I can tell you that I will not part with it and that's saying a lot for a Korean made guitar. I also got a case ($60) and they shipped the guitar inside it. Shipping was only $25.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by OldRocker
I have an agile al3000 in black. After I put emg 81-60 in it, it changed my mind about getting a gibson. It's built solid and who else are going to give you a two-piece body, one piece neck, ebony fretboard with jumbo frets, abalone markers, high grade pots and wirings and shielded covers, and decent hardware on it like grovers for $369? It also have type 5 alnico pups which I think are little too warm for me but sounded good. That's a lot of goodies that you'll find on higher priced guitars.

Yup. That was my impression too (and I have the same black model as well). The specs were good and the price kicked ass. Even the stock pickups were really nice - very similar to Duncan 59s. However, they too were too warm for what I needed. Only EMGs will give me the sound that I want out of a guitar for 'my sound', so that's not a knock against the stock pickups. All my guitars (except 1) are equipped with EMGs, and I wouldn't trade them for anything else.

Quote by OldRocker
Only one problem with them, their QC are spotty and there are flawed ones out there but Rondo Music won't let you down if you don't mind a little hassle because it's all mail order unless you're in New Jersey. My guitar had a nut that was cut too high so I used my dremel and cleaned up the slot and regulated the nut. I also found tool marks on it but very small.

I hear that too. I lucked into a guitar that's pretty much flawless. Short of a small bit of filler on a couple of the fretboard inlays, the detail work on my Agile is nothing short of flawless.

They're basically started guitars, along with almost every other instrument at Rondo. What do you expect for $300?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^ still a better deal than a $500 starter guitar from Epiphone.

The 3000 models are fantastic players. It sucks that they don't sell the 3500 anymore though... now those were amazing for the cash.

I'd test out the one you saw in the classifieds first because most of the time the guitar will need to be set-up right out of the box... this way you save a little time and money on shipping.
Hai UG!
Last edited by L_Z_Nut at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by AlGeeEater
They're basically started guitars, along with almost every other instrument at Rondo. What do you expect for $300?

Did you buy one?
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
Did you buy one?

Have I ever purchased one? Nope, but i've played over 30 of them.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
The spalted rootbeer looks sexy but i think i'd rather save up for a prs se singlecut.
Quote by L_Z_Nut
^ still a better deal than a $500 starter guitar from Epiphone.

The 3000 models are fantastic players. It sucks that they don't sell the 3500 anymore though... now those were amazing for the cash.

I'd test out the one you saw in the classifieds first because most of the time the guitar will need to be set-up right out of the box... this way you save a little time and money on shipping.

Might not have the 3500's, but they got some 4000's

http://www.rondomusic.net/product846.html
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by AlGeeEater

You're obviously an agile hater but you can't stay out of agile threads.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Feb 13, 2007,
bought an Agile AL-3000 goldtop last year.... Fantastic Guitar !! No complaints at all.

99% of my playing is acoustic, but decided I "needed" an electric for that other 1%. Since I always wanted a Goldtop, and wasn't willing to toss megabucks at something I'd not play that often, Agile got the nod.
My local luthier did a super setup on it with super-low action. All I can say is: I should'a got into electric guitars a long time ago. Great feel, great playing, great sound, great looks, Fantastic Guitar !!

AGT