So I go back today from the store with an Ibanez tubescreamer TS9 and hooked it up to my Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. (its a modelling amp, and a damn good one too) After I played aorund with the tubescreamer for a while, I realised I could replicate its tones simply by cranking up the gain on my amp pretty much. Am I doing something wrong? I expected it to make a little bit more difference. Im probably going to take it back tomorrow. Anyone have any thoughts? I only really bought one cos people rave about them and say they are essential.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Feb 12, 2007,
It is supposed to be used with all tube amps. Not solid state or hybrid amps.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Unless you're looking to add a slight drive to a clean tone for some bluesy stuff, a Tube Screamer (or the majority of overdrives) will sound like ass unless used with a tube amp. The people who rave about them generally are using them to drive the front end of a tube amp for an extra gain boost.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Tubescreamers and other overdrive pedals are great for adding a bit of extra gain to the distortion channel of a tube amp, particularly at lower volume levels if you can't crank them. Run one through the clean channel of a solid state amp and you'll just get a mild tube breakup sound. You can't run one through the distortion channels of the vox as you just get a shitload of noise - modelling amps are a good all-in-one package, but the compromise is that they don't like stuff being plugged into them much.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
oh well, itll be off to the shop tomorrow to take it back, or I could keep it until I get a full valve amp which should only be a few months away...
I would keep it, just because it's a great pedal and at some point you'll probably upgrade to a valve amp anyway.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
It's supposed to be used for a tube amp. Duh.

It's called tube screamer for a reason, stick with the distortion pedals when you have a SS amp as they make a lot more difference.
Quote by XtAsY2007
oh well, itll be off to the shop tomorrow to take it back, or I could keep it until I get a full valve amp which should only be a few months away...

You'll get it a lot quicker if you get the money back on the tube screamer.
it's not tube only or anything- an OD pedal is basically a smooth distortion pedal with a different wave shape. the only reason it would be better with a tube amp would be to use it as a booster.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
it's not tube only or anything- an OD pedal is basically a smooth distortion pedal with a different wave shape. the only reason it would be better with a tube amp would be to use it as a booster.

hmmmm, yeh it doesnt actually say in the manual to be used only with tube amps. It says under features, "delivers that warm, natural tube overdrive sound previously unatainable by conventional units."

Its still going back though because I can just get my amp to sound like the tube screamer with abit of tweaking.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Tubescreamer

All I have to say.

Hmm, I used to have a horrible 80's, fizzy, SS "Tubecrunch" amplifier.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Yea, and your amp isn't really suit for being used with pedals.
Also the distortion and overdrive produced is not that same, if you realize.

Give the TS to me.
If you're going to get a tube amp soon, keep it. It adds smoothness, a hint more gain, etc to a tube amp. It's great. I've got to buy one soon.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
You guys are stupid. Tubescreamers weren't designed to be used with a tube amp only. They were designed to emulate a tube being overdriven. Modelling amps generally don't work well with effects pedals.
Keep it till you get a valve amp. I love my Tubescreamer when used with my amp.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by steven seagull
Tubescreamers and other overdrive pedals are great for adding a bit of extra gain to the distortion channel of a tube amp, particularly at lower volume levels if you can't crank them. Run one through the clean channel of a solid state amp and you'll just get a mild tube breakup sound. You can't run one through the distortion channels of the vox as you just get a shitload of noise - modelling amps are a good all-in-one package, but the compromise is that they don't like stuff being plugged into them much.

thats exactly right
Quote by smb
You guys are stupid. Tubescreamers weren't designed to be used with a tube amp only. They were designed to emulate a tube being overdriven. Modelling amps generally don't work well with effects pedals.

I agree with the modeling amps not liking effects. I don't understand it myself.

I always thought a Tubescreamer basically pushed the front end of an amp to distortion. A boost if you will. After all, isn't that what you do when you crank the gain up? One way or another, you're increasing the amount of signal your preamp gets, be it tube or solid-state, and pushes it to distort.
Quote by PRS Josh 83
I always thought a Tubescreamer basically pushed the front end of an amp to distortion. A boost if you will.

You were wrong. It can be used as a boost, and this is the capacity in which people with tube amps normally use it but it is not the purpose for which this pedal was made. It was designed to simulate tube overdrive at lower volumes where an amp would not overdrive.
Well the Vox is Valvestate, so surely it has some tube characteristics? I love mine, that's for sure!
Keep the pedal.
Quote by smb
You were wrong. It can be used as a boost, and this is the capacity in which people with tube amps normally use it but it is not the purpose for which this pedal was made. It was designed to simulate tube overdrive at lower volumes where an amp would not overdrive.

I stand corrected. The question I have is why it doesn't do anything but boost volume on my friends amp when the amp is in clean mode? The amp must be on its "lead" channel for it to effect at all.
Quote by PRS Josh 83
I stand corrected. The question I have is why it doesn't do anything but boost volume on my friends amp when the amp is in clean mode? The amp must be on its "lead" channel for it to effect at all.

Unless there's something wrong with your pedal then turn up Drive!
Quote by smb
Unless there's something wrong with your pedal then turn up Drive!

This was a fully functional pedal on my amp but not his. I cranked the drive all the way up and it still only increased the volume. It was crazy! Also tried a Boss DS-1 and it did the same.
It is supposed to be used with all tube amps. It's usually used as a booster because it doesn't really have that much gain... But it give a DAMN smooth, singing overdrive
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Alot of bs in this thread. A booster can be used in front of a solid state amp... I do it myself try the settings volume full drive 9 o clock and tone whatever you want and then puit it in front of one of the hi gain models of the amp and it should get your vox into heavier territorys. I do the same with an sd-1
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I know, but it will sound way better with a tube...
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account