hey, i was watching this lick library dvd (sounds dirty, lol) last night, for pentatonic scales, and modes, well anyway, if i have a backing track, say for example a simple 12 bar blues in A(A D E BACKING CHORDS) do i have to play the Amajor pentatonic scale over it, or can i play the Aminor pentatonic scale, or would i have to play the relative minor. Also, the guy playing, as a task, he played three chords, Am for eight bars, Dm for Eight bars and Em for eight bars, and along with each different chord, he played the Minor pentatonic(eg, while playing Am, he used the Am, Dm he used, Em, he used the Em pentatonic) Does this have to be done when playing, or is it optional, like can you just play the A scale over all the chords? This all may seem confusing, but im just as confused as you are, help me please
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
#15 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.
It doesn't really matter. Blues is usually minor pentatonic, even if the chords aren't really minor. Usually the chords are only the route and the fifth, sixth, or seventh because those are the bluesiest things. If the backing track sounds really major then use the major, but if you can't tell or if it's definately minor, use the minor pentatonic. AC/DC for example use minor pentatonics on chord progresioons like (E, D, A - Back in Black; E, G, A - TNT; and many more), so you can really do that because the pentatonics leave out the notes which really make the difference between major and minor except the third. Good luck and have fun.
yeah, but for an Amajor chord progession, do i use an Aminor, or the relative Minor
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
#15 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.
Quote by drugless_stoner
yeah, but for an Amajor chord progession, do i use an Aminor, or the relative Minor
For a typical A major progression, you would use the A major scale.

For a bluesy/rocky song in A major, you would probably use the A minor pentatonic. It makes no sense ffrom a theoretical perspectice, but it sounds good and we've been doing it for 60 years.