Soon I will be bulding my own guitar and am already in the process of buying all the parts. But to keep me doing something before I get started on that, I want to build a hard case.

My is to use timber for the frame and possibly mdf or another wood for the shell. Ive looked at everything I need, But can't find a suitable viynl like tolex yet( but have found something similar but i'm not 100% about it). It looks like it will be around £40 to build or a little more. Now many of you may say " you can buy a perfectly good hard case for £30" but theres only so much fun in buying a hardcase (unless you really enjoy looking at things like that).

I should be getting the wood tommorow.

If anybody could let me know if they have had any experience with craft shops in the UK that supply Tolex and things alike.

Much appreciated.

Danny

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Well, all I can say is good luck.

Also, tolex is very expensive after seeing how much it is, but the place I know to get it from sells it per metre in like 70" wide sheets, so it will be plenty long enough for a case (it's about £10 a meter though :eek). A cheaper option (and maybe better looking) would be to Make the sides out of timber, and rebate a ply sheet into the top and bottom of the thing. You could then varnish the thing. Would look pretty smart IMO, but it's personal taste.

I made an aluminium case for my double neck build, and I'm half way through filling it at the moment. I'm using 1" polystyrene sheets bought from B&Q, and layering them inside. This will then all be covered in black fake fur, which will probably come from a local fabric supplier (I can't remember if they have fur, but they have some pretty cool fabric).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Hard cases aren't really made that often.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
any old fabric would work, you could use something like tweed or velvet if you wanted. something like tweed would be super-durable.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^ not to mention super-cool.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

well yeah.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Well, In BnQ. They have a peel and stick material that I was quite interested in. They have lots of different effects, Theres nothing really brilliant stuff like a checkerplate was the best there.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Calum_Barrow
Well, all I can say is good luck.

Also, tolex is very expensive after seeing how much it is, but the place I know to get it from sells it per metre in like 70" wide sheets, so it will be plenty long enough for a case (it's about £10 a meter though :eek). A cheaper option (and maybe better looking) would be to Make the sides out of timber, and rebate a ply sheet into the top and bottom of the thing. You could then varnish the thing. Would look pretty smart IMO, but it's personal taste.

I made an aluminium case for my double neck build, and I'm half way through filling it at the moment. I'm using 1" polystyrene sheets bought from B&Q, and layering them inside. This will then all be covered in black fake fur, which will probably come from a local fabric supplier (I can't remember if they have fur, but they have some pretty cool fabric).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Hard cases aren't really made that often.

Rebate as in Rabbet? I can't recall what that is. I think a mitre joint would look best as you couldn't see the plys of the plywood. Mind you, the mitre would be hard as hell if the shape were anything that wasn't a rectangle.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Yes, I would rebate the ply into the top and bottom. I think rebate is more of an English term, as all the Stanley rebating planes are callet Rabbit planes.

I'm not sure about mitres. If you make a jig for your router you can make a REALLY neat dovetail that fits and looks great, and not to mention it is strong. Normally, I would do dovetails by hand, as I love making them, but for this you probably want to do it with a router for the time factor, the fact that the wood isn't all that thick so the dovetails would have to be small, and the fact that the wood is so wide and you'd have to make loads of dovetails line up.

I suggested mitre joints for the aesthetic value.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
I suggested mitre joints for the aesthetic value.

Well, I will be using some sort of viynl with metal corners etc so the looks of the wood arn't really important.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Oooh, I had read something that led me to believe that there wouldn't be any covering.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Nope there will be covering.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Thats a bit silly :P Having a built in pedal board... so you have to have the case in front of you when your playing :P

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

^ Buskers do it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
^ Buskers do it.

Shame I don't busk then isnt it :P

Nah, this case will be quite simple, just a little project to keep me occupied until i get the wood for my guitar.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

yeah but i will also have a lttle amp stand next to it so when i take the guitar out it will be full, i need to have my amp facing me as a monitor when on stage anyway... different strokes for different folks i suppose
Definately.

Well, Tommorow i'll be getting the wood for free and cut to size because my dad is getting hold of it from where he works.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by hendrixrocks4
what are you filling the case with?

Foam, I will be having foam around the whole thing and then add extra foam for the guitar shape. I will then cover this with a material

carousel182 - Thanks very much mate

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

You should definitely reconsider making this with tolex. Tweed is much cheaper and has that vintage vibe. I bought a case covered in tweed and I love it. Probably should have just built one...

I'm pretty biased, though. I mean, look at my avatar!
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by auranos
You should definitely reconsider making this with tolex. Tweed is much cheaper and has that vintage vibe. I bought a case covered in tweed and I love it. Probably should have just built one...

I'm pretty biased, though. I mean, look at my avatar!

I thought of using some like Tweed but id much rather go something like tolex because of the looks. But Tweed will be an option.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

UPDATE:

I started cutting the wood for the frame tonight, one of the pieces of timber was a little broke but I don't think that will cause any major problems. I'm going to apply the brackets which will hold the frame together tommorow.

Pics soon.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Pics so far.

Showing a single frame with a guitar template inside, this shows that the case is a little too big.

The two frames together without shell attached.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Lookin good so far. I want to see this, cause I was going to make a case just like this one for my double neck before I made my aluminium one when I was on work experience.

Quote by Calum_Barrow
Lookin good so far. I want to see this, cause I was going to make a case just like this one for my double neck before I made my aluminium one when I was on work experience.

You need to plan it though, because I can see mine being a little on the heavy side, But i was looking for durablility.

It will be finished soon, the top and bottom will be glued and stapled tonight and then ill probably order the parts from stewmac i.e brackets handles, if nobody suggests anywhere cheaper.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Calum_Barrow

That aluminum case looked so beefy your guitar will survive intercontinental trips even if the baggage handlers were gorillas.

Lordoflax, post your design. Some of us need visual aids.

Question: Has anybody done a flight case that would survive gorillas but is light enough even for girly men with no muscle tone? I'm thinking the materials would include styrofoam with a creative frame design made of thin ply and steel rods. It could look nice (proper covering) or it could be the bare essentials suitable for airline use.
^ Like the paper design? It's a little scruffy and brief but ill find it for you.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Ippon
That aluminum case looked so beefy your guitar will survive intercontinental trips even if the baggage handlers were gorillas.

Lordoflax, post your design. Some of us need visual aids.

Question: Has anybody done a flight case that would survive gorillas but is light enough even for girly men with no muscle tone? I'm thinking the materials would include styrofoam with a creative frame design made of thin ply and steel rods. It could look nice (proper covering) or it could be the bare essentials suitable for airline use.

haha

On the light side, one thing you could do, is make the frame of it out of aluminium extrusion, all riveted together. Then, for the sides and such, it could be filled with ABS sheet or similar, to cut down on the weight. It will still be strong, and the aluminium will provide the rigidity.

apart from stewmac, does anybody know any suppliers of guitar case parts? Possibly in the uk?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Penn Fabrication

UK Manufacturer of what are probably the best. All the hardware on my case was made by them. If your oder is over £50, you can order directly from them. I don't think you'll be using that much, so I'll find you the site that the support team at Penn sent me. Give me 5 mins.

Quote by Calum_Barrow
Penn Fabrication

UK Manufacturer of what are probably the best. All the hardware on my case was made by them. If your oder is over £50, you can order directly from them. I don't think you'll be using that much, so I'll find you the site that the support team at Penn sent me. Give me 5 mins.

Thank you very much.

So far, at stewmac the pricing is £27 without shipping costs.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

http://www.cld-dist.com/

That's one of the main distributers, and it's trade pricing too. You have to create an account, but that doesn't matter.

Quote by Calum_Barrow
http://www.cld-dist.com/

That's one of the main distributers, and it's trade pricing too. You have to create an account, but that doesn't matter.

But you have to be in the 'trade'?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

^ As far as I know you don't have to be. I use Rapid Electronics which is really aimed at companies and schools etc, but I still order from them and it doesn't matter.

Quote by Calum_Barrow
^ As far as I know you don't have to be. I use Rapid Electronics which is really aimed at companies and schools etc, but I still order from them and it doesn't matter.

Yes but it wants me to enter all my companies numbers etc :P

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Hmmmm. When I ordered my hardware for my case it all came from Maplins, but not long after the website franchise of Maplins was sold on ebay! Now they hardly have anything of interest to me on there.

Quote by Calum_Barrow
Hmmmm. When I ordered my hardware for my case it all came from Maplins, but not long after the website franchise of Maplins was sold on ebay! Now they hardly have anything of interest to me on there.

I'm thinking about stewmac then.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Ugh, I hate Stewmac for the majority of stuff they have on there. They rip you off for everything.

I've checked Maplins, and they do have cabinet hardware on there again now, but again that is overpriced (its not from Penn-Fabrication either).