How do I get that magically punchy, uber ball busting tone like Alex does? for a good example. check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3lBQ9FD98&mode=related&search=

wait until about :44 for a good listen.

thanks in advance

EDIT: also, what type of bass is he using? cant tell for all the hair
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Last edited by poopsmith666 at Feb 12, 2007,
Cutting thru requires more mids than 0, generally. I'd start by playing by playing flat (everything on 5) and then bumping mids/changing other stuff as you go along.

He uses Spector basses.
haha
In that video he may have been playing his Modulus Quantam 5. Couldn't quite tell, the video was pretty blurry.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Oh snap, I forgot he plays Modulus Q5's too... I'm pretty sure he's had a few Spectors, but lately it mighta been the Mods.
haha
Yeah, he uses both Spector and Modulus and I'm pretty sure that was his Q5, just from the headstock.
Yep. That Q5 is a badass piece of machinery! I can't find them in black anymore or I would have one. He uses his modulus a lot live strictly because it's older, and it's a little more beat up. He records with his spector though, I haven't seen him play live with it yet.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Counterpoise

I still think that's his modulus lol. The camera was sort of blurry, so I was going by the headstock. The more I watch it, the more I think so too. The headstock definitely isn't a spector.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Yep, but like i said before i dont think he uses it live. He definitely recorded with it though. Damn i love that spector. Sounds killer with the SVT-4, too. I wish I had his setup, check out my sig for what I'm playing.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

http://www.cannibalcorpse.net/equipment.php

says he tours with the Q5's only
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
There is almost no way in hell he's playing with a scooped tone, i reckon he's got the eq almost flat, maybe more mids and treble and he's playing hard, but what do i know
HOW IS SOME1 THAT CAN PLAY THAT FAST PLAY WITH HIS FINGERS?!?!

ive heard cliff burton stuff like in master of puppets and stuff as really fast....but SH&T!!

i have to get that song too..haha pretty sweet stuff
Hammer Smashed Face is pretty damn good stuff, and i think guys like Billy Sheehan (Niacin, Steve Vai's Live Band, Mr. Big and Dave Lee Roth) and Juan Alderete (Racer X and The Mars Volta) play faster with fingers, how many fingers he's playing with i don't know though.

If you want a good example of speed get Scarified by Racer X, there are some really fast bass fills in that that Juan plays with 2 fingers (there are videos of it all over youtube), and there are any number of Billy Sheehan solo videos too, he plays with 3 fingers when he's going really fast.
Quote by Crazy Horse

ive heard cliff burton stuff like in master of puppets and stuff as really fast....but SH&T!!

It's called talent/practice. Not enough people aknowledge that playing like that with your fingers isn't that hard, just takes practice.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hammer Smashed Face is pretty damn good stuff, and i think guys like Billy Sheehan (Niacin, Steve Vai's Live Band, Mr. Big and Dave Lee Roth) and Juan Alderete (Racer X and The Mars Volta) play faster with fingers, how many fingers he's playing with i don't know though.

If you want a good example of speed get Scarified by Racer X, there are some really fast bass fills in that that Juan plays with 2 fingers (there are videos of it all over youtube), and there are any number of Billy Sheehan solo videos too, he plays with 3 fingers when he's going really fast.

to me it looks like he is using a pick in scarified (the spacesuit one)

but i may be wrong.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Counterpoise
It's called talent/practice. Not enough people aknowledge that playing like that with your fingers isn't that hard, just takes practice.

ya..i know. but i mean most people ive seen playing metal that fast playing with a pick

...its refreshing to see some1 using their fingers goin that fast.
Quote by Crazy Horse

This is the first time I have heard stuff by Cannibal Corpse and thought it wasn't extremely fast. Also that line is extremely easy to play, just listen to it carefully.
Quote by Crazy Horse

Cliff Burton was a good bassist, but he isn't/wasn't the god of all bassists.

Also, Hammer Smashed Face isn't very fast or technical.

Personally, I think Steve DiGiorgio > All.
lol Yeah Charlatan_001 the first time I heard Hammer Smashed Face I gave it a try and could play 80% of it right off the bat (the sped up bit is tricky though), its still a great song though.

And I'm with you Steve DiGiorgio > All.

*on that do you know of any videos with Steve in them (or bands he was in) that have really good Basslines (more so than his normally good Basslines) and / or show him playing??
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Quote by Monkey_Bassist

*on that do you know of any videos with Steve in them (or bands he was in) that have really good Basslines (more so than his normally good Basslines) and / or show him playing??

He played on iced Earth's Horror Show album, and it shows on Damien, has a cool bass intro and a moody bass mid section...and is generally fun to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8CgHQzMz_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAwpRU-V6yU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P9Bgp-KqZU

^^ 3 vids of him with Testament.
I saw a video of Alex talking about his rig. He uses an Ampeg SVT-Pro4 (don't quote me, it might be a different model, but I'm almost positive it's an SVT) and an SVT 810. He goes straight from bass to amp, no effects. The combination of active pickups and a high quality amp give him that dirty/gritty edge to his tone.

If you really want, you could get an overdrive/distortion pedal with an EQ and try and dial in a little dirt. It sounds like he's got the treble/high mids pushed up a little bit more then the bass/low mids in that vid that the thread starter posted.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Last edited by hatebreed219 at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by hatebreed219
I saw a video of Alex talking about his rig. He uses an Ampeg SVT-Pro4 (don't quote me, it might be a different model, but I'm almost positive it's an SVT) and an SVT 810. He goes straight from bass to amp, no effects. The combination of active pickups and a high quality amp give him that dirty/gritty edge to his tone.

If you really want, you could get an overdrive/distortion pedal with an EQ and try and dial in a little dirt. It sounds like he's got the treble/high mids pushed up a little bit more then the bass/low mids in that vid that the thread starter posted.

I posted that vid on the first page
Quote by Monkey_Bassist

Youtube Death - The Philosopher.
haha
LOL Counterpoise, Iced Earth is like my favorite band and I already have Horrow Show - great album, very solid rhythm section (Steve on Bass, Richard Christy on Drums, and of course Jon Schaffer on Rhythm Guitar). And MetalUpTheAss I already downloaded that vid , thanks though.

Oh and I already have downloaded the Dynamo vids (got them off Steve's site, which he never updates!!! ), anymore???? or even any songs (I know of a couple albums) that are particularly good.
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Feb 15, 2007,
Also i think it's worth noting the high-output EMG's that Alex Webster uses. i think this is a big part of the sound he has IMO. He uses 45DC's I think (although, they might be the 4 string version, he uses the 5 string version.) I think he uses Spector's alot more now too but that video is done with the modulus quantum 5.

And from the official page. A little outdated, but still valid.

Alex uses:
Amps: SVT 4 Pro. My SVT 200T is finally being retired after ten years, but I still have it as back up. My cabinets are the classic Ampeg 8x10.

Basses: Two Modulus Quantum 5 five string basses with EMG pickups. These are the two I bring on tour, but I also own a few other basses, including: An Ibanez SR 1500, an Ibanez SB900, two Fender P-basses, a Modulus Sonic Hammer, and a Modulus Quantum 5 with a granadillo fretboard.

Strings: DR High Beams, 125 to 45.

Other stuff: I use cloth guitar straps with Dunlop strap locks. I never use effects live, but sometimes in the studio I use a Sans Amp bass driver DI in addition to my amp's signal, to blend in a very slight distortion, to recreate the "live" feel.

Gear used by Alex Webster on each Cannibal Corpse recording:

Eaten Back To Life: 1987 Fender Precision bass, a Gallien Krueger head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Butchered at Birth: 1987 Fender Precision bass, Gallien Krueger head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Tomb of The Mutilated: Ibanez SB900(Sabre) bass, Trace Elliott head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Hammer Smashed Face EP, cover songs: Ibanez SB900(Sabre) bass, Peavey Mark 4 head, Peavey 2x15 cabinet.

The Bleeding: Ibanez SR1500 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Vile: Spector NS USA 5 String bass(for songs tuned to Bb), 70's Fender Precision bass(for songs tuned to Db), Ampeg SVT Classic Head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Gallery of Suicide: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Bloodthirst: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet, Sans Amp bass driver DI.

Live Cannibalism: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Gore Obessed: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT200T head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet.

Cover songs for box set: Modulus Quantum 5 bass, Ampeg SVT 4 Pro head, Ampeg 8x10 cabinet, Sans Amp bass driver DI.

NOTES: I recently acquired an excellent Spector Euro 5 string bass, the Spector I used on Vile was a rental from a local music store in Tampa. American made Spectors like the one I used on Vile are amazing basses, but are a little out of my price range, hence the rental. The Euro Spectors are built to the same specs as the USA models, but are more reasonably priced. I can't wait to try it out on the new album.

You'll notice I didn't list strings on the album gear list, that's because I'm not entirely sure which kind of strings I used on some of the earlier recordings. I've used DR strings on all of the recordings starting with "Gallery of Suicide". I know for sure that I used Blue Steel strings on "The Bleeding", and I'm pretty sure I used PGR strings on the "Hammer Smashed Face" EP. I think I used Rotosound strings for the first two albums.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Counterpoise

Quote by Hammer Smashed Bass
My EQ in the studio is very slightly scooped (meaning quite a bit of low end and high end, with the mid range somewhat reduced), but live I use a "frown" EQ, meaning it's actually the reverse of being scooped. The extra mids live really help me to cut through. Live, I also use no effects. Our live sound man adds some compression to the signal coming through the PA, that's it.

Yeah, I bought a couple of Spector five strings in 2003. I used one of them on "Wretched". I still use my Modulus basses a lot in concert, but for the recent Deathfest in Seattle, I used my black Spector. Spectors and Moduluses are both excellent basses, and I'll continue to use both depending on which one sounds better for a particular situation. Thanks for your question!

There you go. Which means he couldn't have possibly used a Spector in that vid.

To keep things simple, we have only two tunings. One is Bb (meaning the entire instrument is tuned down a half step), and one is Ab (meaning the entire instrument is tuned down 1 and a half steps). Ab is the same thing as G# of course. Anyway, I switch guitars at the same point Rob and Pat do. The three Ab songs we've been doing are "Disfigured", "The Time To Kill Is Now", and "Death Walking Terror", which we play in a row to minimize the number of guitar changes we need to make. I use the Spector for those songs, and I use the Modulus for the Bb songs. I don't change the settings on my amp, as it seems to be able to handle the super low stuff without much trouble. However, I do use thicker strings for the Ab bass. The normal gauge I use is 125 through 45, but the for the Ab I use 130 through 50.

There you go as well. I found all this stuff on the official Cannibal Corpse forums in the "Ask the Cannibals" section.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Last edited by vashts80 at Feb 16, 2007,
Nah, that's his setup for the "Kill" recording sessions. Like Alex himself said, he reverses the mid-scooping from his studio setup into a frown-shaped EQ for live playing so it cuts through more.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Boosted high mids/highs, average low end/low mids...I so called that.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10