Page 1 of 2
If you want, but that is stereo and probably a PCB mounting output jack, and a simple panel mouting mono one would be better for the job TBH, and they cost like 90p at most. Also, I would put a piezo in as it would sound a lot better in an acoustic, and I'd probably use an endpin jack too (Like I'm gonna do with both my 12 and 6 strings)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You gonna use a feedback buster to do it?
Also...I don't know about using electric guitar pickups in acoustics, but I do know that most acoustic strings are made of Phosphor Bronze...where as most guitar strings are nickel-plated steel. Just something to think about...

Also, the headphone jack is a 1/8"?

This is just a test, Nothing probably useful will come out of it, I just want to test to see if it will work.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
But the jacks where pcb mounted in some weird casing. So they have been left. Before I break the bank and spend a whole 90p on one, is there anywhere in house hold items which might have them?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Hah! look at it it's held together by masking tape, shows my professionalism doesnt it :P It has some brackets that ironically came of a guitar case I decided to rip apart.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST MAKE A SOUNDHOLE PICKUP!!! I put mine in my guitar and I dont like it much. Its not too bad but I'm not crazy about it. As for output jacks just buy some from radio shack for a couple bucks.
Quote by livrockdie
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST MAKE A SOUNDHOLE PICKUP!!! I put mine in my guitar and I dont like it much. Its not too bad but I'm not crazy about it. As for output jacks just buy some from radio shack for a couple bucks.

How Would I go about making a sound hole pickup?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

I put a overwound strat pickup in my acoustic just drilled some holes off to the side of the soundhole and screwed it in then I atteched a volume and output jack to it and drilled 2 holes in the face and put them on its really delicate looks like crap but sounds good not a lot of feedback either.
Yea well to mount this i'm using 2 springs and 2 screws so if I mess up it's only to screw holes :P

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by forsaknazrael
You could use a feedback buster to mount the pickup. That's a popular method that won't need wood modification to your acoustic.

Well Im actually just going to stick it on with tape just to test it to see if I can get it sounding ok. If its going to stay ill have to think of way to mounting then.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

So the jack came today, ive attached it and tested it. It works and doesnt give to much of a bad sound. Im going to continue to do it. If I was to drill 2 holes into the pickguard area on my accoustic, would this affect the tone? I want to drill a hole for my jack and pot.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Dude, that's why I told ya to mount it in a feedback buster!
http://proaudiomusic.com/accessories/feedback-buster.htm
Just cut out a hole for the pickup and mount it in there!

No cutting into your wood necessary, and it helps prevents feedback.

Yes, I might buy one, but I still need to drill my guitar if I want to put my pot and jack in.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

So I stuck with the brackets because my dad made them hold with screws which is pretty cool. I think i'm going to drill the holes for pot and jack.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by sk8erguy171
^ yeah good call... i drilled a bunch of holes, didnt make a difference. as for feed back, ive cranked it thru my amp pretty loud and it doesnt feedback at all

You mean using a Feedback buster?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

EEK! The wood and pickguard is too think for the pot and jack's threads to come through Anybody got any ideas of how I can solve this?

EDIT: Managed to get the jack in place, just got to try and figure a way to get the pot into place now.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Feb 15, 2007,
What about mounting it in one of those rubber things that mount into the soundhole. Acoustic electric players use them alot. I dont know what they are called.
Quote by livrockdie
What about mounting it in one of those rubber things that mount into the soundhole. Acoustic electric players use them alot. I dont know what they are called.

A feedback buster? Thats already been discussed.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

To try and solve the problem of the pot not fitting I ordered a mini volume pot which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

A feedback buster is not needed in thsi situation. Those are used in most accoustic electrics because they're pickup system consists of a sensor strip under the bridge, and a mic near the soundhole. The mic picks up the sound that comes back in through the soundhole, causing the feedback. He is not using a mic in his setup, it is no different form how a hollowbody guitar works. You don't see anybody coverign up their F-holes to prevent feedback. I hope this works for ya, I plan on doing the same soon, but with a jazz style neckmount pickup.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
I was talking about mounting the pickup on it so it was compleatly removable. Like a soundhole pickup.
Ya. It was an idea they had featured in Guitar Player. Thought it was pretty neat.

Quote by The_Marshall_Gu
You don't see anybody coverign up their F-holes to prevent feedback.
Actually, the guy from Grand Funk Railroad covered his F-holes with ductape for this reason. Also, Malcolm Young used to put socks in the unused pickup holes in his Gretsch - for the same reasons. [shrugs]
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 17, 2007,
I stand corrected then, lol.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
So the guitar is finished After a long time of waiting for parts to arrive. And after a few attempts at getting the brackets right... It's finished. I'm really pleased actually. It sounds 10x better than I thought it was going to.

Here it is.

Overview
  • Figured out which pickup I was going to use. In this case it was a cheap strat pickup.
  • Make brackets for pickup to attatch to sound hole. This is not always necessary depending on sound hole size.
  • Drill holes just outside of soundhole to fix the pickup/brackets to.
  • Wire the pickup to jack and pot. I used this diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/sgl_coil_1vol.html
  • Drill holes in guitar for where the jack and pot will come out. NOTE: plan this carefully, making sure there is no obstructions and that the components will fit through the guitar enough to attatch washer + nut.
  • Attatch all pot,jack,pickup
  • Your ready to play

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by forsaknazrael
Get an angled cable, damn you!

HA!, I do have one but it's old and crackly, my plan was to get one, but for the purpose of the photo I was just showing that i'm not faking it :P.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

I might get some clips up, If I can get my mic to work on the comp, or i'll just have to try using my phone, don't know if it will do me any justice using the phone though :P

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Wow, that don't sound too bad at all. Still sound like an acoustic.

Using normal acoustic strings? You should buy some pure nickel strings and string your acoustic up. They'll react more to the pickup, or rather the pickup will pick the vibrations from pure nickel better than Phosphor bronze. And pure nickel will be warmer than nickel-plated steel, which will sound too bright for an acoustic.
Might I recommend Snake Oil Brand? Ah, wait, you're in the UK. Shipping might be lame.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wow, that don't sound too bad at all. Still sound like an acoustic.

Using normal acoustic strings? You should buy some pure nickel strings and string your acoustic up. They'll react more to the pickup, or rather the pickup will pick the vibrations from pure nickel better than Phosphor bronze. And pure nickel will be warmer than nickel-plated steel, which will sound too bright for an acoustic.
Might I recommend Snake Oil Brand? Ah, wait, you're in the UK. Shipping might be lame.

Ive got Earnie Ball's on it. To be honest, I think it sounds good saying that they are electric strings.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh yeah. You'd need to use normal electric strings. Good stuff. Ernie Ball if nickel-plated steel. Not too birght for you?

It sounds fine tbh, the only problem is slight hum, but thats not really important.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Page 1 of 2