ok... i got a guitar at xmas (ESP/LTD M-50) and i dunno what strings were on it at the time but whatever they were they were reasnably thin......so the other day i was changing the strings and polishing the neck etc etc. and the strings i put on where Rotosound's ''ROTO BLUES'' which are 10-52's and compared to the original strings the bottom E looks like a frigging bass string....and i thought yeah they are better for detuning and stuff, but when i play them after a while it really hurts my fingers to press the strings anymore.....and i have a big dint across my little finger and the one next to it (a lot of what i play consists of power chords, which is why its mainly those fingers, although my first finger does hurt aswell lol) which fair enough the dint was there a little bit before, but now its like a really big dint and hurts when iv been playing for ages...............

is this normal????
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Yeah, after a while you will build up calluses and it won't hurt near as much anymore.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Yeah, you're just building calluses cause your fingers aren't used to the bigger strings under higher tension.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
yes... suck it up and keep going
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
suck it up man...after some time u'll have caluses and then they won't hurt any more. keep on playing for quite a while.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
yup your fingers arent used to em, go play a bass thatll toughned up those fingers
That's how I was when I first put 10-60 Zakk Wylde Boomers on my guitar a while back. After playing it a few times you'll get used to it, and your fingers will build calluses on them.
Try fingerpicking on a 5 strings thickest string. that really toughens the fingers up. seriously, thin strings do my head in
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by evening_crow
suck it up man...after some time u'll have caluses and then they won't hurt any more. keep on playing for quite a while.

You just copied what the cerv guy said above you by suck it up.. nice copy
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
I used to use 11-70s. Believe me you will get adjusted in a couple days.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
yeah, it used to happen to be. ive been playing for around a year, but non stop, so it gives me really big calluses, althogh i use 9's...
whats a dint?

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Shittone i mean silvertone revolver
Cube 60

Originally Posted by sendmeapick
you pick squires over gibsons?

thats like michael jackson over jessica alba
Well technically 45+ is thick enough to be considered a string on a bass. And yes, fatties are so awesome that they'll dent your girly fingers.
Quote by Xeus
man up

This man is wise beyond his years.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
70? Seriously, on a Guitar?

Obviously I'm too lazy to look on MF for a gauge like that, but jeez, you must have to have that string set extremely high to avoid buzzing.

How long does that sustain for, one decade? Two?
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
Quote by Kylster
70? Seriously, on a Guitar?

Obviously I'm too lazy to look on MF for a gauge like that, but jeez, you must have to have that string set extremely high to avoid buzzing.

How long does that sustain for, one decade? Two?

GHS Zakk Wylde Low Set 11-70. Action was low and no buzzing. Tuning was low as well.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~