So I have a 1981 Electro-Harmonix PolyChorus. The other day as I was playing there was some noticeable static for about 5-10 seconds and then a loud pop. No smoke or burning smell came out of the pedal. After the pop the pedal still works properly at everything but it is about half as intense. It has a blend switch and it sounds like it is blended all the time now. I know everyone will say open it up and look to see if there is something burnt, but the bottom panel comes off and all the components are facing up towards the top. It seems to be anchored by something and I can't figure out how to flip it around without breaking something - took off all nuts holding pots except one because it wouldn't budge and still didn't seem to loosen anything up. Any suggestions from someone with some knowledge of E-H pedals or had a similar problem would be appreciated.
Last edited by malibuclc at Feb 12, 2007,
I think the board is held on by the pots. Unscrew the pots.

Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Ok, got the nut off the last pot and bent it slightly. There are no signs of any damage to any of the components inside. Any suggestions on where to take it to to find the weak link? TV repair guy maybe? Who else works with circuit boards? Could I do it myself?
Sure, you could do it yourself. Got pics?
No pics/no camera. I guess I should have said how would I find the problem myself. It has to be something simple because the pedal still functions. But I have no experience with building or repairing pedals.
You could post on this forum for help:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/

You could also find somebody to do it for you I bet. I doubt you'll find somebody locally in a regular old electronics store that can do it. Old BBD technology isn't really used anymore in the mainstream.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
You could also find somebody to do it for you I bet. I doubt you'll find somebody locally in a regular old electronics store that can do it. Old BBD technology isn't really used anymore in the mainstream.

Yeah thats what I thought, but I found a website of some guy who used to work for Electro-Harmonix and actually helped design the reissue PolyChorus and he repairs E-H stuff. So if I can't find someone local or figure it out myself I guess I'll see what he can tell me.