This sucks.... I just noticed that my Dual's sound is doing the "tone/volume" loss thing. I had this happen before and replced tubes on a previous Mesa amp. I just didn't think it would happen this fast?

We have played a good bit of hour plus shows since I got it. Even recorded an full length CD (CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE!!) in which it was on for hours on end. It even shut off completly at one point due to over heating.

So... I mean is it really time for new tubes??? It just seems a little early to me.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Well, 8 months does seem a bit fast, but if you really use it that much then chances are good it does need new tubes... it's unfortunate, but that's probably what the problem is.
Yea, I was afraid of that. Anyone have suggestions on tubes? I've run the stock Mesa tubes for the longest. Maybe it's a bad idea to change tube brands?
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
ok, ive got the same amp. you didnt explain well enough and im not trying to offend or anything but it seems as if you dont know how to operate a tube amp properly in order to keep the tubes lasting long.
- When turning it on put it in standby and let it warmup for a minute before flipping it on and playing.
-When turning it off, flip the standby on again and turn down the volume if at high volume.
- use standby when connecting cables and such.
if you use the amp nicely the tubes could last up tp 2 years. Or- it seems like you may be abusing the amp and you wont ever get better tube life if you play loud for a long time. (and i mean very loud and long)
i hope i can help, private message me if you need somting
If you've been thrashing it that hard and overdriving them a lot to get a nice metal tone, and then on top of it all leaving it on for hours on end (are you ****ing insane by the way?) then yes, you will need to replace the tubes, and then re-evaluate how you use it, you can't leave a tube amp on for hours and hours on end and expect it to function perfectly and if it overheated and shut down, then it obviously hasn't been getting proper ventilation which is another nail in the coffin for you tubes.
hey dude i heard your band on your website. you guys are cool. I saw some other album on rhapsody of you and it was old but it was some weird deathmetal stuff that i dont care for. I like the new stuff... and your guitars.
Quote by schecterboy3000
ok, ive got the same amp. you didnt explain well enough and im not trying to offend or anything but it seems as if you dont know how to operate a tube amp properly in order to keep the tubes lasting long.
- When turning it on put it in standby and let it warmup for a minute before flipping it on and playing.
-When turning it off, flip the standby on again and turn down the volume if at high volume.
- use standby when connecting cables and such.
if you use the amp nicely the tubes could last up tp 2 years. Or- it seems like you may be abusing the amp and you wont ever get better tube life if you play loud for a long time. (and i mean very loud and long)
i hope i can help, private message me if you need somting

Quote by schecterboy3000
hey dude i heard your band on your website. you guys are cool. I saw some other album on rhapsody of you and it was old but it was some weird deathmetal stuff that i dont care for. I like the new stuff... and your guitars.

For the first comment, I do everything you have recommended. Always. To answer the statement of leaving it on for hours on end... well about 3 or 4 hours. Standby was put on during this time as well.

To the second comment, I have heard of a death metal band called "Demagogue". They are so far from anything we do. FOR SURE on that one. I wanna let you know that we have a professional company recording our new CD as we speak... and dude, if you thought that the stuff on our web site was O.K. then I can't wait for you to hear our new stuff. It's amazing how different recording equipment makes your music sound. Unreal! Keep in touch on us, man. Rockin'
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
Quote by guitarrocka205
For the first comment, I do everything you have recommended. Always. To answer the statement of leaving it on for hours on end... well about 3 or 4 hours. Standby was put on during this time as well.

To the second comment, I have heard of a death metal band called "Demagogue". They are so far from anything we do. FOR SURE on that one. I wanna let you know that we have a professional company recording our new CD as we speak... and dude, if you thought that the stuff on our web site was O.K. then I can't wait for you to hear our new stuff. It's amazing how different recording equipment makes your music sound. Unreal! Keep in touch on us, man. Rockin'

Hey i never said your band was "okay"
i was very impressed.
and yea there is some deathmetal group with the same name
^---- Well all i know is, you kick ass. Thanks again for the props!

I just got off the phone with GC and they said that the Mesa tube is a brand name. So just like strings, I can change them out. I have 6L6 GC's in them right now for my Power Tubes. So, changing them to GrooveTubes of Electro-something?? (he mentioned it being very good and long lasting) wouldn't be a bad thing right? I really just want to make the right decision here. What do y'all think?
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
Hey...

First of all, tubes just die and there's no guarantee how long they'll last. As far as standby and leaving them on and all that nonsense, most of it is rubbish. I've left my tubes on for days, powered up without using standby, all that stuff, and my Mesa tubes lasted 7 years. One thing that could damage tubes is not letting them cool down properly before transporting them. But anyway...

I'd shoot an email to Doug at Doug's Tubes www.dougstubes.com He knows his stuff, offers a wide variety of tubes, and does free express shipping on orders over $100. I got a set of tubes for my Mark IV from him and I really love the results.

Groove Tubes have improved over the years (they're made in the same Chinese factory as Shuguang and Ruby), but I don't think they're what you're looking for. Neither are Rubys. Svetlanas may be closer, JJs closer yet. Winged C SEDs are also worth checking out, as are Electro Harmonix.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 12, 2007,
Yeah, mesa tubes are like groove tubes, they are all made from different companies with jsut the mesa tag printed on them. Some good tubes are JJ tubes, and electro-harmonix tubes. Check out eurotubes for prices and ordering info, they guy there is also very knowledgable
O.K. sweet sweet.... so out of JJ and Electro-Harmonix, which one would be better for a Petrucci sound? Already have the Dual Rec (though not a Roadking). Petrucci's tone in "As I Am" is what I'm going after.
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
I called Doug from Dougstubes.com. He recommends SED or Svetlana 6L6 tubes. I'm really confused here y'all.... this is harder than I thought.
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
I still wish I had a tube amp...
I feel so guilty about to shell out 160 bucks on yet another solid state I'm so bad at saving or I'd get a nice tube
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by guitarrocka205
I called Doug from Dougstubes.com. He recommends SED or Svetlana 6L6 tubes. I'm really confused here y'all.... this is harder than I thought.

I have JJ 6L6GC's in my amp, and like 'em a lot. I've heard nothing but good things about those Winged C's, though, and they'll probably be my choice next time I'm due for a change.

And if you're burning your tubes out every eight months or so anyway, you might as well try something different just for kicks!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I Have A 1967 Silvertone 1482 Amp That Still Has The Original Tubes I Had Since I Got It The Same People Who Did Fender Amps Made The Silvertone Amps Hendrix Started On A Silvertone
I Have A 1967 Silvertone 1482 Amp That Still Has The Original Tubes I Had Since I Got It The Same People Who Did Fender Amps Made The Silvertone Amps Hendrix Started On A Silvertone