Hey guys

For christmas i got a yamaha 12 string acoustic guitar. Everything has been going great but now it is out of tune. I went to the tuning thread and now i kind of no what im doing but it says some of the smaller strings are tuned an octave higher then the other string. For example the d string is tuned in d and then the little one next to it is tuned one octave higher then the other d string. My problem is i have no idea of what an octave is so i could really use some help here. Any examples would be great.

Thanks alot
its the same not just higher
like on a 6 string the 12th fret is the same note as the open string just higher
so to answer your question tune both to d or whatever note you are tuning to
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
and octave higher than d is just another d in a higher pitch, it is 12 half steps above the original d. so when you tune, if u play the twelfth fret of the first d it should be exactly the same as the second open d
Last edited by FLrhcpEA at Feb 12, 2007,
An octave is when you play the same note except 8 steps higher. For example, the open low e string is the lowest octave of e on the guitar. If you play the second fret on the d string, however, this is also an e note. It sounds 8 steps higher because each note repeats itself 8 steps higher. Therefore, on your twelve string, you have a string below the thicker one which is tuned to the same note as the thick one, just one octave higher. So, the little string below the low e is tuned to the same note that you would find on the second fret of your d string.
one octave higher is 12 semitones higher... which means that the string is vibrating twice as fast at the 12th fret (which is one octave up) than the open string... just tune the thinner string to the 12th fret of it's counterpart
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
The low E string (thickest string) is two octaves higher than the high E string (thinnest string). In other words, same note just different pitch.
an octave is just the same note higher or lower. whats also cool a note is one octave higher everytime you go halfway up the string. thats why frets get smaller as you get farther up the neck.
it's exactly the same note but 12 semitones higher or lower

to get the idea, on a 6 string guitar, play the 6th string (E) open, then play the 5th string (A) in the 7th fret, that's an octave
Get an electronic tuner and tune the pair of strings to the same note. Everyone above has already stated what an octave is. I would tune everything down a whole step(put a capo on the second and then tune to EADGBe like normal). It helps relieve tension and prevents warping.
Hey, now that I'm here and the topic is being discussed- To go up an octave is to go eight notes up, right? So why is that twelve semitones?
No, to go up an octave you go up 12 semitones, eight notes could be sharps as well so it makes no sense. For instance, if I wanted to go up an octace from C#. If I was to go eight notes notes up, I would only get to G#. Whereas if I went 12 semitones (the correct way) I'd get to the C# an octave higher.

When referring to jumps, always talk in tones and semitones. Never in "notes".

Hope I explained this well enough. If not, tell me and I'll try again.
Quote by chillininfl
dude, you don't even deserve her. women deserve respect. not rights, but respect. =]
Quote by GiantRaven
Having absolutely no body hair streamlines you. Means you can play guitar faster