I just had a discussion with my dad, he says that my Epi Viola (wich he gave me) is better than a Hofner violin.
I have always heard the opposite but the old dude says says Hofners aint that good and are only hyped 'coz McCartney used one.
What are your opinions?
Haven't heard the best about Epi or Hofner basses, but neither seem quite fantastic, imo.

Violas pwn violins anyday, though.
Hofners were kinda notoriously not very good. I read in an interview somewhere that the only reason Paul bought one was because a) it was cheaper (and believe it or not, he is a stingy bastard) and b) because he's a lefty, and the violin bass wouldn't look as stupid played upside down as a Fender Precision would be.

They were made cheaply and are extremely fragile. You can watch some videos where Paul has the pickups taped onto his bass.

Long story short, your dad is 100% correck. Not correct. Correck.

(And for God's sake, we're talking about Epi Viola and Hofner Violin BASSES, RIGHT? NOT THE CLASSICAL INSTRUMENTS!?!)
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
okay, you just said pretty much what my dad said, wich is good coz it means i have a better bass than some people think! thanks
I have a semi-related question. Would it sound horrible if somebody were to play an electric violin or viola like a normal guitar or bass?
^It'd be pretty awkward to play, and the higher pitched notes can be irritating at times.
You would need to bow those instruments, playing staccato notes on them don't have much sustain and just fart out.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Ah yes, pizz and arco, I forgot those names! But yes, pizzicato on violins and violas sound like little plinks.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Am i the only one thinking "What the hell?"

But i like Violas more then Violins, they just got a much richer, warmer tone.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Personally, I dislike Hofners and McCartney. Each time I've tried one of those basses I felt like I was playing a deep sounding banjo. They just feel really odd to play for some reason.
Actually, the Hofner was the second worst sounding bass I've ever played. The first-worst was an Epiphone EB-1 fretless with a humbucker in the neck. It sounded like the tone knob was totally off... and it wasn't.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by anarkee
Personally, I dislike Hofners and McCartney. Each time I've tried one of those basses I felt like I was playing a deep sounding banjo. They just feel really odd to play for some reason.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like Paul McCartney.Good to find another hater. Although I am a little biased because I hate the whole band he was in. It was a small band and not a lot of people heard of it so I'm all good.
I like McCartney, I understand not liking his style but I wouldn't go so far as to say hate even if I didn't like him.

Also hofners are overpriced, they really use the fact Paul used one to their advantage. Also aren't they both technically viola basses considering the viola is like a bass guitar version of a violin?
Quote by Lefty_God
I just had a discussion with my dad, he says that my Epi Viola (wich he gave me) is better than a Hofner violin.
I have always heard the opposite but the old dude says says Hofners aint that good and are only hyped 'coz McCartney used one.
What are your opinions?
Your Dad is quite correct, Hofners were a just low to mid market european brand.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by anarkee
Personally, I dislike Hofners and McCartney.

whoa whoa whoa...clarification needed ! McCartney the person or the basslines?

Person = twat
Basslines = wonderful

in my humble opinion, of course.
Ok I never said I hated Macca, dislike is the term. The person is a twat and has an overblown ego, IMHO.

I think the issue I have with his bass playing is that he consistently hits the top ten lists of rock bass players. There are so many people I would put a head of him. However, its a personal preference thing nothing more nothing less. There is some things I just really like such as "She's so Heavy", but I feel his contribution is more in his songwriting than his ability to lay down a groove on a bass.

Can I take my flame retardant helmet off now? LOL
I keep hearing people say Macca. What is that referring too?

And also, isn't the double bass the bass version of a violin? Or even a cello?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I keep hearing people say Macca. What is that referring too?

Macca = Mcca(rtney). Its used in the British press more than stateside. Just like Madonna often is referred to as "Madge".
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Nope Violin and Cello are the same(tuned in fifths) and Viola and Bass are the same (tuned in 4ths)

a viola is tuned the same as a cello (CGDA) cept an octave up, so it's tuned to 5ths, double bass is tuned to 4ths (like a bass guitar) owing to the fact it would be a hell of a lot harder to play if it was 5ths
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Yeah, you'd need about 4 arms to play a double bass in 5ths. However, some jazz guys tune their electrics to 5ths. If you tune it like a cello, apparently it gives as many notes as a 6 string bass, just accross 4 strings. Personally, I prefer to play the notes from string to string as opposed to up and down the neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Double Basser
a viola is tuned the same as a cello (CGDA) cept an octave up, so it's tuned to 5ths, double bass is tuned to 4ths (like a bass guitar) owing to the fact it would be a hell of a lot harder to play if it was 5ths

Really? I remember crazypeanutman saying the double bass is tuned in fifths. Damn, I have to do some research.
^the bass guitar is based off double bass so and are both tuned the same, in 4ths from E - G

of course 5 string bass guitars have their low b but you can get a thing called a low b extension for double bass or even 5 string doubles
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I have the Epi Viola, and i absolutely love it. I've also heard that the Hoffner is inferior.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by anarkee
I think the issue I have with his bass playing is that he consistently hits the top ten lists of rock bass players. There are so many people I would put a head of him. However, its a personal preference thing nothing more nothing less. There is some things I just really like such as "She's so Heavy", but I feel his contribution is more in his songwriting than his ability to lay down a groove on a bass.
There are horses for courses, I believe that the sum total is what counts; people such as McCartney didn't take up Bass to become virtuosos on the instrument, like me he wanted to play in a group/band (he actualy switched from guitar).
What Macca has always done is to play what is required, for that you cannot knock him.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John, you and Applehead have taught me the error of making blanket statements on the bass forum.

Ok, I dislike Macca as a person for reasons already stated. And a bit more explanation on the musical side.

The Beatles were the first group I ever got into in a big way. John Lennon was the one who inspired me to pick up a guitar and express myself musically. The Beatles made a huge contribution to modern music and to the concept of the rock group from the 1960s onward. They were a cultural milestone. Its just that I have issues when I pick up "Bass Guitar for Dummies" and Macca is listed as one of the top ten bass players. Just the same way my residential drummer has issues when Ringo is listed as one of the top ten drummers.

I agree they were the right people, at the right place at the right time and the sum of the parts made history and some very wonderful music that has stood the test of time. So much that I am now teaching my kids to play them as well.
Quote by anarkee
Its just that I have issues when I pick up "Bass Guitar for Dummies" and Macca is listed as one of the top ten bass players. Just the same way my residential drummer has issues when Ringo is listed as one of the top ten drummers.
You should have been in the UK, for God knows how many years in the 60s each member of the Beatles was voted best in the world on their instruments.

My only claim to near fame is when our band lost the support slot on the toss of a coin when the Beatles came to Sheffield in 1963 with 'From Me To You' was Number 1.

I think it's great that you'r teaching your kids to play as well, I have four offspring and none of them play, they just kept arguing as to who would inherit my 1965 Fender Jazz Bass; so I sold it and paid off the mortgage on our house.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Applehead
whoa whoa whoa...clarification needed ! McCartney the person or the basslines?

Person = twat
Basslines = wonderful

in my humble opinion, of course.

Ok, a bit of a coda to my original post, and to give John Swift and Applehead their "I told you so laugh for the day".

The studio where I hang out and take lessons does workshops about one a month around a theme. Next weeks the next workshop and guess what, its the Beatles. And yes, Sir Paul's basslines are a bit more interesting than I first though, and yes, I am having a good time with them, esp. "Lovely Rita", which has a surprising amount of slides in it.

So I stand corrected, yes they are fun basslines to play, but I still think Macca's a twat.
Quote by anarkee
Ok, a bit of a coda to my original post, and to give John Swift and Applehead their "I told you so laugh for the day"..
Nobody here will say "I told you so" this is the Bass forum where the intellignt band members/musicians hang out.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Nobody here will say "I told you so" this is the Bass forum where the intellignt band members/musicians hang out.

How about "your smile on the joyous occurrence of my enlightenment"?

Peace,

TK