I know that noise gates and supressors keep all the hissing and stuff away and all that but what does a compressor do because i'm going to buy a GT-Pro and one of the effects included is compression.
buy it and you find out, and youll like it
Quote by nick dixon
Mine usally takes about 40-50mins. Just leave it while you do somthing else. What you choose to do in 40 minutes is completley up to you, but I usally carve small aniamls made from pieces of coal.

Whos takes 50minutes? seriously
pretty, much i can add sustain to you guitar, lots of it, you can hold out a singe note for ever. it also compresses the highs and the lows into a more mid rang, which gives it a much better sound.
Quote by nick dixon
Mine usally takes about 40-50mins. Just leave it while you do somthing else. What you choose to do in 40 minutes is completley up to you, but I usally carve small aniamls made from pieces of coal.

Whos takes 50minutes? seriously
yeah, im a little confused on it too......i have a digitech rp200 and im confused on what to do with it.....and it sounds like crap when i do use it
Quote by King_Arthur
Gibson guitar = $500 (guess)

Pack of strings = $5

Messing up your guitar with a bass string = Priceless
First of all, the GT series is crap. Multi effects suck.
A compressor boosts the quiet parts and limits the volume of the high volume parts to get you a smoother tone more consistent in volume.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Reduces dynamic range.

There are tons of uses. You can use them during solos. Oooh, prominent solos. They can make a note ring for ages.
Hasn't there been many a thread on compressors?

But yeh, what ppl have said, adds sustain, it "compresses" your volume, as in it brings up the quiet parts and brings down the loud parts, and my RP50's compressor does suck the treble out of the signal as well, usually around 5 or something its alright though.