before you report this, read it.

i think i've lost my interest in heavy metal. i still listen to black sabbath, iron maiden, blind guardian, sytem of a down, dragonforce, mastodon and some other stuff. i occasionally listen to lamb of god and unearth, some of the nu metal. other than that, i don't really listen to metal anymore. i'd like to give black and death metal a try, but the few bands i've heard weren't that great. i heard a few catamenia songs and really liked those, same with crimson moonlight and arch enemy. i can't stand cannibal corpse. their music is okay, but gorey lyrics are talentless in my opinion (no flaming por favor). i heard a little mayhem, didn't really like it, but it was just two or three songs. i also tried listening to burzum, but the recording sucked way too bad. i know the names of lots of other bands, and i know there's a list of bands in this forum; i just haven't taken the time to listen to them for fear of wasting my time since i have dial-up, and no one where i live likes metal at all besides slipknot (ew). screaming doesn't bother me, but stuff like suffocation just pisses me off, because it just sounds like noise to me, not music. the bass drum might be playing 32nd notes, but it just sounds like he's playing as fast as he can to me. anywho, if you could give me some bands that are good, that'd be great. gracias.

edit - i've also heard a little dream theater; they're okay.

edit again - idk how i forgot this, but i love meshuggah; i'm suprised no one mentioned them.
Last edited by frottage at Feb 12, 2007,
Eh, you're going to have to get accustomed to stuff like Suffocation and Burzum if you're going to get into a wider variety of metal. Listen to some Dissection, Bathory, Amon Amarth, Atheist, Psycroptic's first album (Scepter of the Ancients), Dismember, At The Gates, The Faceless, Necrophagist, Morbid Angel... all pretty unique bands within their respective genres. Don't give up metal, it's way more expansive than you'd think.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by LedZeppelin
Eh, you're going to have to get accustomed to stuff like Suffocation and Burzum if you're going to get into a wider variety of metal. Listen to some Dissection, Bathory, Amon Amarth, Atheist, Psycroptic's first album (Scepter of the Ancients), Dismember, At The Gates, The Faceless, Necrophagist, Morbid Angel... all pretty unique bands within their respective genres. Don't give up metal, it's way more expansive than you'd think.

+1 There are so many better bands if you just dig deeper past what floats to the surface. And, also +1 again for going to the recommendation thread. Everything recommended there is not meant to waste your time. Those bands are recommended for a reason.
I've found Jesus
it's all about gradual adjustment, getting used to those things before you can really start listening to the rest. try listening to one of Opeth's albums (see the rec thread), they should break you into the growling vocals easily and you will get used to the constant double bass without too much trouble as well. listen to a song like Demon of the Fall, which has a heavy opening, acoustical parts and changes between growling and clean vocals.

from there try some technical stuff like Necrophagist, and even melodic death metal like the early In Flames which tends to be a lot more structured and clean than 'traditional' death/black metal

EDIT remember, rec thread
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Pssh. I don't like half the bands I recommended, I just figured he would, since I'm in a minority.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by frottage
opeth is freaking sweet, just listened to them.

Ya, just go looking around for recs. Don't be intimidated by the "gr1m scary d00dz" that will tell you not to listen to a band because it is not tr00 or etc.
Quote by laffyjam
Sounds like you're just picky

ha, kind of. mainly just with metal i think.
also, i've just added nevermore and children of bodom to my liste of CDs to buy. maybe necrophagist, but idk, they're kind of icky.
Last edited by frottage at Feb 12, 2007,
Metal may be my cup of tea, but I don't mind coffee on occassion.

(For anyone who doesn't get the metaphor: I like metal, but I don't listen to it ALL the time. That said, rap is gimmicky and formulaic, mainstream rock sucks balls, emo is whiney, and country is hicky. But yeah... It's just music. I'm not going to whine if someone else in the car wants to change the radio, eh?)

I think my only problem with the metal scene is the elitism on message boards. Otherwise, it's great. At least we don't have lead singers gunning each other down for "disrespecting the hood" or some other idiocy like a lot of rap has had.
Quote by AEnemia
Metal may be my cup of tea, but I don't mind coffee on occassion.

(For anyone who doesn't get the metaphor: I like metal, but I don't listen to it ALL the time. That said, rap is gimmicky and formulaic, mainstream rock sucks balls, emo is whiney, and country is hicky. But yeah... It's just music. I'm not going to whine if someone else in the car wants to change the radio, eh?)

I think my only problem with the metal scene is the elitism on message boards. Otherwise, it's great. At least we don't have lead singers gunning each other down for "disrespecting the hood" or some other idiocy like a lot of rap has had.

same here. i'm more of a pearl jam, stone temple pilots, alice in chains man myself
I know it's already been said but...

Opeth
Children of Bodom
Nevermore

At least try out those three and take it easy. Don't try and force it too hard.
Quote by Leonheart
I know it's already been said but...

Opeth
Children of Bodom
Nevermore

At least try out those three and take it easy. Don't try and force it too hard.

haha, those were the first three i tried. i like all of them.
Ah, well we seem to like the same kind of stuff. I'm not really all into the extreme Black and Death metal, but Dying Fetus are good every once in awhile.
Edge of Sanity, especially their Crimson and Crimson II albums.
"Genital Grinders," the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. Embodiment to join.
Quote by frottage
but stuff like suffocation just pisses me off, because it just sounds like noise to me, not music. the bass drum might be playing 32nd notes, but it just sounds like he's playing as fast as he can to me.

Are you kidding? I think you just implyed suffocation was not tight. If so, you should be killed.
Amon Amarth, Vital Remains and Skinless are some good death metal bands (Amon Amarth is Viking metal though)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You said your gonna give up metal, but you really haven't listened to good metal to begin with.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
Well since everyone is listing death metal bands I suppose i'll give my two cents on black metal to get you started. Burzum, highly reccomended once you get a taste for it, but right now thats not what you need. I'd probably start you off with some Cradle of Filth (note me for not being an elitest here ) From their, there is always some symphonic black metal such as Limbonic Art, Dimmy Borigir, and Agathodaimon. Once, you've gotten used to that I suppose Emperor if your Tr00 enough For Emperor I would get In the Nightside Eclipse, very epic album. From there on you can choose if you like it or not
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
i was really thinking about totally giving up on metal and what people call "noise" like Norma Jean and such cause people didnt appreciate it, but i thought "SCREW THAT" so i keep listening to it. i dont call anything noise. as long as it is a song, its music
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Maybe you would like power metal?

Personally, it's not my thing, but I can see why people like it...

Try: Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody (now Rhapsody of Fire) Jag Panzer (holy shit, Chris Broderick can play) Blind Guardian etc etc.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
You're losing interest in heavy metal because you arent even listening to heavy metal!!

System of a down? Unearth? Lamb of god? C'mon.

Get into thrash and death. And GOOD heavy metal bands like Judas Priest, Metal Church, Motorhead, bands like that.

Get over the pussy bullshit metal you are latched onto. Suffocation is not music? Dude c'mon. Get educated.
My other 2 cents: I used to think the more brutal music like Suffocation was a boring wall of noise, but the more you listen to this sort of music, the more you feel accustomed to the many codes and conventions in metal. I highly recommend you get The Sound of Perseverance by Death, Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates, The Gallery by Dark Tranquility, and like other people said, Amon Amarth.

Also, listen to Dream Theater - This Dying Soul for a good feel of what kind of music they can really play.

Then, if you want more, get Asmegin's only album, very folky. Then Nattfod by Finntroll and Tales from the Thousand Lakes by Amorphis.

For Black Metal, I recommend Dimmu Borgir for starting off (get Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia or Stormblast) and Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness (even though both PEM and SoND are not the most black metal records)
I've found Jesus
Quote by LedZeppelin
Psycroptic's first album (Scepter of the Ancients)

I had to be picky. lol.

First album was Isle Of Disenchantment, their first ****ING INSANE album was Scepter of the ancients lol.
Take it to the rec thread.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything