was i absent from school the day they told us how to write music? i can't come up with anything and ts really starting to piss me off. the riffs i can write are either really cliche sounding or gay powerchord riffs... i don't feel like being labeled no talent*cough*greenday*cough* is there something im missing any tips or any advice would be greatly appericated =]
Maybe you're just not musically creative? It's not a talent everyone holds.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Go back at lunch tomorrow or something and get caught up.

And just keep at it, you'll get better over time. My stuff used to suck, and now it sucks less.
Listen to different kinds of music... learn.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The Lessons Section of UG has some great songwriting/music theory lessons.
Learn how to use arpeggios and accents. Songwriting is something that can't really be taight. You either have it or you don't. BUT you can find it within yourself. I believe everyone is an artist. Some just can't find the way to let it out.
Last edited by magicninja_ at Feb 12, 2007,
Steal riffs from other songs and change them up if you really can't come up with any original riffs.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
Practice my good fellow. Nobody writes a masterpiece on their first attempt. Songwriting is like any other part of playing an instrument... practice and it will improve.

Everyone starts off writing crappy power-chord riffs. Just keep practicing writing your own stuff, as well as continuing to learn other peoples stuff, as that can help just as much, if not more.

Quote by Smokey Amp
Maybe you're just not musically creative? It's not a talent everyone holds.

In comes Smokey with just the answer this guy wants to hear!
how long have you been playing?

learn as much theory as you can. natural, melodic, harmonic minors...all the chords, with 7th, 9ths, 11ths, sus's, augmented, diminished, minor, etc.
open your tastes of music up more. i personally find the key to creativity is diverse knowledge of music. you gotta listen to other, new, innovative music that really can give you something different and meaningful.
Keep working at it. Try to tape as much as you can. Sometimes riffs may not work on their own,however there are times when two or three seperate ideas can become one and sound pretty good.
Hang in there and don't give up.
Quote by Tom Martin

In comes Smokey with just the answer this guy wants to hear!

Yeah, you're right, that was slightly harsh.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by snowblind190
woah Zuka isn't being an absolute s***hole today! did you get warned, or are you drunk?

No but I still and always am

Shut it noob before I stomp you. This is a thread about writing music.
ಥ_ಥ
Maybe it just isn't the day for you. It happens to me all the time, I write something cool one day, and gay stuff the next. Give it time.
Quote by snowblind190
woah Zuka isn't being an absolute s***hole today! did you get warned, or are you drunk?

Nay to both.

Thanks for taking interest in me, however.

Quote by arsonite
No but I still and always am

Shut it noob before I stomp you. This is a thread about writing music.

Unecessary, but appreciated none-the-less.
Last edited by Zuka at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by chocolatguitar
how long have you been playing?

learn as much theory as you can. natural, melodic, harmonic minors...all the chords, with 7th, 9ths, 11ths, sus's, augmented, diminished, minor, etc.

Bollocks, that won't help at all.
You can use crappy power chord rhythms, just keep working at them and then eventually through experimentation you will get something good.
I also advice trying to write something on a synth or piano aswell to expand your versatility a bit.
Quote by Grimme
You can use crappy power chord rhythms, just keep working at them and then eventually through experimentation you will get something good.
I also advice trying to write something on a synth or piano aswell to expand your versatility a bit.

yeah, expanding your musical horizons DEFINITELY doesn't help with composition.
Quote by Grimme

ಥ_ಥ
i mean i really don't want to quit but its really borin playing other peopls music wich i suck at anyways =[
Ive actually found that taking a break for a while helps a lot. There was a time where I was a noob and couldn't play Canon In D at 45029347502 bpm but now I can play the sounds of god actually speaking at 45029347503 bpm. Oh and don't ever videotape yourself playing guitar and put it on youtube. Those kids are worthless. But in all seriousness no matter what theory you learn or what riffs you rip off or any of that bullshit, if you dont' have music in your head, then its useless.