Page 1 of 2
As most of you know, Guitar Center's King of the Blues competition has arrived. How many of you guys are going to enter? I know I'm going, I'm probably not going to get far at all, but I think it should be fun. Thoughts?

Discuss
First time having a Guitar Center near by, any one thats been in it tell me how it goes, do you pick a backing track and just jam and dont sing, and can you get the backing track before hand and rehearse at home?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by The Master Plan
First time having a Guitar Center near by, any one thats been in it tell me how it goes, do you pick a backing track and just jam and dont sing, and can you get the backing track before hand and rehearse at home?

They have backing tracks at the website, and you pick one, i dont think you sing, and yea you can rehearse at home.
Quote by ledhed68
They have backing tracks at the website, and you pick one, i dont think you sing, and yea you can rehearse at home.

I checked at the site where would it be on there?
Link?
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
I live in a very crowded area with loads of guitarists, so I dont stand a chance. But I want the damn shirt. Will I get one just for showing up and making a fool of myself?
Thanks, Im probably going to do Laid Down Blues.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
I entered yesterday and so far Im the only on the list at my store.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
lol.
Thats what I told my friends yesterday, but Im sure people will sign up before the deadline.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
If by some miracle, I actually get to the store finals, I will have to make the toughest decision of my life: Store Finals, or Eric Clapton concert. If by a long shot it happens, that is going to suck.
I signed up. I don't think I'm good enough to win, but I know that it'll be a sweet experience.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
I live in a very crowded area with loads of guitarists, so I dont stand a chance. But I want the damn shirt. Will I get one just for showing up and making a fool of myself?

Yes you will. You have to sign up though prior to the date. The slots fill up.
I did it last year and it was a blast. My friend and I entered together and it was a good dose of healthy competition. I also learned a lot as far as being able to identify which licks have the biggest "cliche factor" and what can make you sound different. It'll make you better, I think.
I wanna join, but I'm too young. What's the age requirement again?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by S0ulja23
I wanna join, but I'm too young. What's the age requirement again?

i did. doing Jazz/swing blues track. yayz
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by ledhed68
Store Finals, or Eric Clapton concert.

That's not a tough decision. Eric Clapton.

Let me ask this question... GOD or Guitar Center?!?! Changes it now, huh?
Quote by TUMFP
That's not a tough decision. Eric Clapton.

Let me ask this question... GOD or Guitar Center?!?! Changes it now, huh?

That makes it easy, but i probably won't have to make that decision anyways, i doubt I'll make it to the store finals.
Quote by TheGuitaristMan
I was gonna join but they said I was too young.

You're not alone.

Look on the bright side, once we're old enough (if the King of the Blues is still being held by then), we'd have improved enough to actually have a good chance.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

I just entered, like most of you i doubt i will go far but i want the tshirt and 15% off purchases and stuff. It will also be good for networking and experience.
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
Have any of you seen the video of last year's winner on the King of the Blues site? He really was a terrible guitarist, and I don't know how he won. Perhaps the great players stayed home, or something ignoble is going on.
I dug the second place guy though. His name was Gino Matteo, and I enjoyed the sounds he made moreso than Matt O'Ree. O'Ree just did a bunch of tricks and fell out of key a lot. I hated his tone, and I think it hid a number of mistakes.

Anytime I criticize someone, I feel like I have to put the "But he's better than me" comment at the end, just to avoid unneccessary flaming. I don't know though. This is more of a "different" than "better" situation.
I haven't heard the second place guy, but creativity and good phrasing are certainly something I value more than flash and pomp.

Haha, I understand where you're coming from. I feel the same way quite often. Around elitist guitar players it's not something you have to worry about as much, but around devoted fans, it's likely that one can recieve quite a flaming for that. Sometimes comparing two guitar players is impossible because of differences. That's why I believe there isn't a single "greatest player". Maybe a greatest blues guitarist of the decade, but even being that specific is asking a lot.

I would have entered the competition, but my father, who taught me how to play and has 30+ years on me enrolled, and I don't want to make an ass of myself. Haha, it would be suicide for me.
Neither of them strike me as particularly good, at least from my humble perspective, but Gino is a real blues guitarist. He suffers from a serious case of B.B. syndrome, though. It leads to rather bland playing, since he's certainly not B.B. King, however, it's obvious that he puts his heart and soul into his playing, and I don't see how he didn't win over Matt O'Ree. I liked his tone a lot, it was really powerful, even with less distortion than Matt.
They probably picked Matt O' Ree cause of the whole showmanship thing, but yeah.

I haven't recorded anything, but anyone wanna post a recording of themselves playing to one of the King of the Blues tracks? I'd like to hear how you guys play.

Now I'm considering signing up for this. I know I'm gonna get smoked, but I just wanna get up there and have fun. Plus I really want that shirt.

Are we allowed to bring any gear we want to use? I just bought a Snarling Dogs wah (amazing!) and I would love to use it for this.
Quote by S0ulja23
They probably picked Matt O' Ree cause of the whole showmanship thing, but yeah.

I haven't recorded anything, but anyone wanna post a recording of themselves playing to one of the King of the Blues tracks? I'd like to hear how you guys play.

Here's mine, but Im probably gonna do a song over Funky Woman Backing.
http://www.gckingoftheblues.com/profile/Texas_Blues
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
Now I'm considering signing up for this. I know I'm gonna get smoked, but I just wanna get up there and have fun. Plus I really want that shirt.

Are we allowed to bring any gear we want to use? I just bought a Snarling Dogs wah (amazing!) and I would love to use it for this.

Yea you can bring anything as long as it isnt a preamp or looper.

Im taking my Picture wah and Overdrive.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by The Master Plan
Here's mine, but Im probably gonna do a song over Funky Woman Backing.
http://www.gckingoftheblues.com/profile/Texas_Blues

Sounds pretty good, is that you singing/talking? The first parts of the lyrics made me think it was "walking blues". Is this the "Laid Down Blues" track you're using? Good playing.

On a side note, this forum doesn't get enough activity.

Last edited by S0ulja23 at Feb 21, 2007,
Yea it was me with the lyrics, I thought you could add lyrics to the song in the competition, but I found out you can't, so Im going to do "Funky Woman" . Yes its the "Laid Down Blues" backing. And your not the only one who thought it was Walking Blues.

Thanks

And yea it doesn't, probably because its the most intellectual and soul full forum.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Last edited by The Master Plan at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by The Master Plan
And yea it doesn't, probably because its the most intellectual and soul full forum.

I can agree, and I'd definitely tolerate a slow forum for that.

At the competition, you must use one of the amps that they provide for you. I'm sure at nationals or regionals you get to use your own stuff. I don't think I could suffer through using those pc-wired, gain channel amps. I'm too much of a traditionalist. I just take out the two center power tubes and turn the volume and master on my Twin all the way up. It sounds perfect to me.
Quote by The Master Plan

Very true, especially compared to the Metal forum.
*hopes no one from the Metal forum ever sees this post and gets offended*

Quote by Noah Halvorson
I can agree, and I'd definitely tolerate a slow forum for that.

At the competition, you must use one of the amps that they provide for you. I'm sure at nationals or regionals you get to use your own stuff. I don't think I could suffer through using those pc-wired, gain channel amps. I'm too much of a traditionalist. I just take out the two center power tubes and turn the volume and master on my Twin all the way up. It sounds perfect to me.

Yea, but you can use a Marshall Fender or Peavey I believe, Ill probably use a Fender amp.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Page 1 of 2