I've been searching for a Mesa head for quite some time, and I found a 2 channel dual rectifier for around $1100 after shipping. The 3 channel averages around $1400 after shipping, which is why I was interested in the 2.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the 2, vs. 3 channel?

I think a 3 would be better, because of versitility, but does the 2 sound better?

Help please :]
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
If you think you need three channels, then go for the three channel version. If not, the two channel one is cheaper and it gives you all the same sounds as the newer three channels...so...

My Recto is set up like pretty much everyone else - Channel 1 = Clean. Channel 2 = Crunch. Channel 3 = High gain.
Yeah, the best reason to go for a 3 over a 2 (IMO) is if you play live and need to switch between settings for different styles of music really fast. Or if at home you want to save one setting you like on one channel then mess with the other without losing the first.
It really all depends on what you think you will use. You gotta think....are you playing covers or originals? because if your doing covers it might be good to have 3 channels. If your doing originals you could get away with 2. I would proably go for the three because like "De Amazing Blob" said (what kind of name is that anyway?? lol)...its a good idea to have one to mess around with until you have a good idea of what you want. But I use the clean, crunch and high gain system that Kurdt suggested.
On the 2, is does the first channel do clean as well as crunch? I'm not famiar with mesa's controls.

My point is
3 ch. = clean, crunch, high gain
2 ch. = ?clean? high gain <<< ???
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by Crimson_Eve
like "De Amazing Blob" said (what kind of name is that anyway?? lol
Umm, well... I'm amazing, and... a blob....

On the 2, is does the first channel do clean as well as crunch? I'm not famiar with mesa's controls.

My point is
3 ch. = clean, crunch, high gain
2 ch. = ?clean? high gain <<< ???
I'm pretty sure you could turn the gain way down and it would be clean, but then even if you cranked the Master volume to ten, it wouldn't be loud at all (that's what happens on my amp). You wouldn't need more than 1 clean channel, would you?...

As far as I know,

Ch 1 - clean
Ch 2 - Any sort of distortion (crunch to high-gain)
Ch 3 - Any sort of distortion as well
I know, but I mean on the 2 channel head...

Is the first channel a clean channel?
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
I know, but I mean on the 2 channel head...

Is the first channel a clean channel?

Yes.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals