I think I want a kill switch on my guitar so what exactly does it do it will basically turn the guitar on and off that would be usefull between songs to stop feedback and stuff and faster than using a voulme knob right?
not faster, but you can do it without having to mess with your volume, possibly messing with soundcheck shit
Listen to a lot of stuff that Tom Morello plays in Audioslave or RATM...

more specifically the solos for "Sleep Now In The Fire", "Your Time Has Come", or "Shadow On The Sun"... you can use killswitches for cool stuttering effects and stuff to add some color to your playing.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Yeah, a killswitch turns the signal on and off by sending the hot output to the ground. That causes no output or "off" as opposed to the regular circuit with the hot output reaching the output jack, or "on".

Are you planning on doing this to one of your guitars? If you tell me the control layout I can whip up a diagram for you.

EDIT: And yes, using a killswitch is often faster than using the volume control. It can be tricky depending where it's located. Some people prefer to have it on the lower horn of a strat type body, while others prefer it to be near the rest of the controls.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Feb 12, 2007,
I've sometimes wondered why it's necessary to send the output to the ground... Would it not be possible just to let it go nowhere (not solder any wires to the pole for that position)?
^ That causes buzzing. It's just as easy to send the hot to the ground. Both require a SPST or SPDT and both require soldering two additional wires.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Funny, every time I press the kill switch on my guitar thousands of starving pygmies die.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Every time I press the killswitch on my guitar, a little voice comes through my amp telling me to use the search button.

Last edited by Pacifica112J at Feb 12, 2007,
I still don't get the whole thing with coming into a topic just to tell somebody to use the search feature. Anyway, I used a momentary normally closed pushbutton switch for mine and don't get hum. All I did was wire it in place between the volume pot and input jack.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
Quote by hokiecmo
I still don't get the whole thing with coming into a topic just to tell somebody to use the search feature.

Well, then pardon me as I knock down the wall to your house and install another door, identical to your front door. Same basic thing. "Oh, I cant be bothered finding the door into this place, I'll just make my own. Right here. Yeah, that's a good spot for a door, which I'm sure to be the first to have thought of."
Flick the switch and BAM, you're dead.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30