I feel dirty for saying this (and anyone who's seen me on a Fender-related thread knows why), but I'm seriously contemplating buying an Aerodyne Precision. I played one tonight at the music store for about half an hour, and I really like it. Very nice sound, quite versatile, and nice construction. The shop has it for $850 CDN.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?fg=121&sku=512760

What I want to know is, does anyone here own one, or have experience playing one? Thoughts?

The alternative I'm considering is buying a MIM P-Bass, and upgrading the pups, bridge, and tuners. I'm quite fine doing the work myself, but the cost would end up only about $100 or so shy of the cost of the Aerodyne. I'm not sure if that's the best way to go, since I still would have a bass with a neck I don't find as well built.

Again, thoughts? If anyone has gone either route, I'd like to hear what you think.

P.S. I still think Fender is overpriced and generally shoddy, but I have money kicking around, and I do like the Precision tone. And the Aerodyne seems built much better than any Fender I've come across.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 12, 2007,
Quote by catchy phrase
i'd get it if they would just change that stupid blue headstock.

It has other colours, I'm looking at the natural version.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Before i got my rockbass i was thinking about getting this because some1 suggested it on here.I liked the rockbass over the aerodyne.
It looked that part, but the body seemed a bit too thin for my taste. I personally like the look of the full fledged Aerodyne Jazz myself. They both have the same pickup configuration.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
It looks sweet, but if you find the neck's not well built, and it's gonna cost just shy of the actual bass I don't think it's really worth it.
But I hate Fenders.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I played the one of the original black aeodyne basses not long ago and loved it! It seemed well built, sounded good and played well. I'm not sure how the classic one fares though but if the original is anything to go by it is definitely worth it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Fast_Bear
http://www.warmoth.com/

Go here and make your own custom P&J, just the way you want it!

I herd that the shipping department is really damn slow though......

I had considered the Warmoth route, but it's too expensive. I wouldn't do it unless I had at least $1200.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Aerodyne P bass?

Fenders aren't really shoddy, I consider them like toys because they have so many variations and can take almost any upgrade. Except when you get into americans and the custom shop, then those are pretty much as good as those old vintage fenders....

Anywho, plays great, fantastic sound, looks hot, I say go for it. Plus it's made of basswood+maple so is a very cool variaition.
I went out and bought an Aerodyne. I'm such a whore lol.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Quote by musiclover2399
lol, I wish I had money for a new bass, especially enough for an aerodyne or highway one, I haven't had a new bass in two years. I need my fix!

Haha I didn't really have the money, I traded in a Taylor acoustic and my Epi Thunderbird for the Aerodyne. Plus put the difference on Visa. I'm financially responsible...*shifty eyes*

Who needs to eat, anyway?
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Some pics:

I'll take more pics tomorrow, although I may save them and do a BOTM.

In the near future I will be swapping the pickguard for either a black one, or tortoiseshell. Thoughts?
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 15, 2007,
I'm usually a maple board man, but I like! Looks cool indeed.

Play it loud and/or proud!
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I'm usually a maple board man, but I like! Looks cool indeed.

Play it loud and/or proud!

Haha me too, I actually went to the music store with the intention of only buying a maple-fretboard bass (since I love them so), but I just couldn't put this one down. The maple top makes up for it, methinks.

I will try to upload sound clips soon, but I make no promises. Again, I may condense it into a BOTM sometime this week.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Nice! Personally, I like maple more in terms of feel than looks, although the looks of maple boards are nice, it's mostly feel. But rosewood has a very nice characteristic too. Glad you found a bass that spoke so well to you.

I'd be considering a Geddy if it came in 5.
haha
Quote by canadianpunk071
Haha I didn't really have the money, I traded in a Taylor acoustic and my Epi Thunderbird for the Aerodyne. Plus put the difference on Visa. I'm financially responsible...*shifty eyes*

Who needs to eat, anyway?

Wait a sec... you traded in a Taylor Acoustic? An acoustic bass? With an off-set soundhole? The only Billy Sheehan covets? The one they don't make anymore!?!?!

If it's not a bass, don't mind me.

If it is bass, I'm just teasing. That bass looks awesome. I personally own 2 maple FB basses, but that one looks sweet. I'm sure you'll love it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Plx don't kill me for asking this (and yes, I would make it a new thread, but it'll probably annoy a lot of people).

Why would you want to replace the tuners? Would the new tuners help in preventing it going out of tune too often?
Higher tuning stability/preciseness as well as, in some cases, lighter tuners, which means less neckdive.
haha
Quote by thefitz
Wait a sec... you traded in a Taylor Acoustic? An acoustic bass? With an off-set soundhole? The only Billy Sheehan covets? The one they don't make anymore!?!?!

If it's not a bass, don't mind me.

If it is bass, I'm just teasing. That bass looks awesome. I personally own 2 maple FB basses, but that one looks sweet. I'm sure you'll love it.

Haha no, it was a Taylor 110 guitar. It was just collecting dust, since right after I bought it, I was given a 1975 Ibanez acoustic.

Quote by Soul_Bassist
Plx don't kill me for asking this (and yes, I would make it a new thread, but it'll probably annoy a lot of people).

Why would you want to replace the tuners? Would the new tuners help in preventing it going out of tune too often?

Greater tuning stability, although the main reason would've been that I'd be putting a Hipshot D-Tuner on, so I'd get a full set of Hipshot tuners. I don't know if I'll change the tuners on this bass, we'll see how they hold up/how lazy I get about tuning to drop-D
Quote by MetalUpTheAss