Just wondering if someone could help me with the minimum amount of bass amp wattage for jamming with drums.
I have my 30 watt guitar amp only turned up halfway to play along with the drums.
Will 30 watt bass amp be good enough or she we look at 50-60 watts?
it should work, you'll probably have to turn it more than halfway though
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
yea slashhalen is right is should deo but if your gonna go bigger mnight as well go for an 100 watt just because. plus if you have a 30 and you have to turn it up all the way well the tonal quality will probably decrease greatly but if your on a very tight budget like the most of us are then i suggest just sticken with what you got it will do the job
100 watts is a little more head room for jamming and I think is good level for it, I don't know if I would gig with 100 watts but for jamming it's perfect. With a 60 watt you might find that you need to turn it up and then you might start to get a decrease in tone. And a 30 watt is just not enough.
I have read somewhere that the bass amp should be 4x the wattage of the guitar. Somewhere else, I read at least double.

However, my guitar player has a 65W amp, and I have a 250W amp, which is just under 4X the wattage, and I think that's the more accurate amount. The bass and the guitar seem about equal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
there is very little difference betwen 30 and 60 watts. either will work. 100 watts is optimal for anything. generally the 60 watt one will be better quality and carry sound better so i'm partial to that one.
go for 100watts....you'll be happy. If your like me I like to bringin the thunder when it comes to playing bass I want to make sure my shit is cutting through the guitar drums cleanly yet not flooding them out of course...you know what i mean. But thats just me ...
well i dont know ab out you guys... i have a 60w amp and when i play the bass i cant hear it but i can feel it... and i think thats all about feeling the bass
AbsentMind
Definitly at least 3x. I used to play with a 60w and couldn't hear myself at all. And its not about feeling it: it's about hearing it. It's music.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
30 watts will not do in nearly any situation, imo.

Rule of thumb is 4x the wattage of the guitarist - it tips off at a peak, like if gets 100W tubed or 500W solid you don't need to have 2000 watts, but for starter's that's the way to look at it. Bare minimum, 2x.

And you cant be heard over a most drummers with anything less than 100W.

And in the future, edit your posts using the bottom right hand "edit" button instead of replying with your correction.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Not to hijack the thread, but it's a relevant topic:

Would investing $900 into a GK 700RB head + Yorkville XC410 cab (both used) be worth it, even though I'm not gigging at the moment? I'm planning to, but just not right now.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Not to hijack the thread, but it's a relevant topic:

Would investing $900 into a GK 700RB head + Yorkville XC410 cab (both used) be worth it, even though I'm not gigging at the moment? I'm planning to, but just not right now.

I'd think so. A good setup is something you only need to buy once.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..