Im playing in a show highlighting black history, and i need some stuff to say about Hendrix's influence on black history. Can you help me name some blacks who cite hendrix as one of their influences? Thanks.
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
the only one i can really think of off the top of my head is Lenny Kravitz (sp?) he even played Hendrix in a movie. Also i read that George Clinton's band Funkadelic was insprired by Hendrix.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Feb 12, 2007,
Probably Robert Randolph, I know he covered Hendrix's voodoo chile (slight return)
Robert Cray
Buddy Guy (influenced eather other actually)
These are the only ones I can think off the top of my head, there are plenty more though I can assure you
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
Prince! (or is prince black? lol) He sounds like he's imitating Hendrix half the time (he probably is)!

Hendrix probably has had an impact on Buddy's Rock playing, but lets not forget that Buddy was playing High-octane blues rock stuff live, long before Hendrix even made it to the scene. Hendrix could certainly have influenced a bit of Buddy's music, but lets not forget Hendrix based his whole career on Buddy's.

What about the Ric Hall guy that tours with Buddy sometimes? I'm not sure about him either, but just throwing a name out there.

I'm not so sure I see the connection with Robert Cray but I'm not saying there isn't one (just hoping someone can enlighten me...)
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Last edited by pyrochris at Feb 13, 2007,
Miles Davis was influenced by Hendrix, "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" was inspired by Hendrix
Yep, George Clinton with his Parliament/Funkadelic stuff (and especially Eddie Hazel, who played lead guitar with both); Lenny Kravitz; Prince; Kirk Hammet's part black; so's Tom Morello; Slash as well; Miles Davis was actually planning to work with Hendrix before Jimi died, so yeah, go figure; Junior Marvin from Bob Marley's Wailers has a definite Hendrix feel to some of his lead work... Erm. I think that's it.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Funkadelic, Prince, Andre from Outkast, Common, Lenny Kravitz, D'Angelo (not rock but he cited Jimi as a major influence and recorded an album at the Electric Ladyland studios for inspiration).

Man... it's weird how hard this question is to answer. Or to name any black rock musician, for that matter. It's like the vast majority of black people didn't want rock anymore after white people started doing it Seriously, how many black rock musicians since 1970 can you name, period? I can think of 3 bands and like 10 individuals, tops. What's the deal with that?
Quote by LKW
Funkadelic, Prince, Andre from Outkast, Common, Lenny Kravitz, D'Angelo (not rock but he cited Jimi as a major influence and recorded an album at the Electric Ladyland studios for inspiration).

Man... it's weird how hard this question is to answer. Or to name any black rock musician, for that matter. It's like the vast majority of black people didn't want rock anymore after white people started doing it Seriously, how many black rock musicians since 1970 can you name, period? I can think of 3 bands and like 10 individuals, tops. What's the deal with that?

They were too busy showing the white man how to play bass.
You could argue how Band of Gypsies influenced the evolution of the genre known as "funk" in general.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
You could argue how Band of Gypsies influenced the evolution of the genre known as "funk" in general.

sly and the family stone was around before the band of gypsies and was already a funk band
Lenny Kravitz, Funkadelic, Prince to name a few
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
^^Dirk has a point.

Plus, Hendrix was influencing Funk even before he formed the Band of Gypsies; the intro to Voodoo Child (Slight Return) wouldn't sound out of place in a Funk song, and Crosstown Traffic sounds a lot like the way Funkadelic would eventually turn out.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
^And Little Miss Lover (from Axis) has the muted Wah Wah used in alot of funk.
"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"- Mahatma Ghandi
I heard Tom Morello say that he didn't want to be another black Hendrix copy, so he tried to be totally different with his playing. But funk borrowed alot from hendrix's guitar leads, especially Parliament/ Funkadelic stuff (mostly Funkadelic). All the early albums with Eddie Hazel playing lead on them (Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow, Maggot Brain, Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On) are very Hendrixy. I'm sure too many black blues guys to mention borrowed licks from him. And, yeah, Miles Davis was influenced (that's a BIG compliment).

Lenny Kravitz and Prince are obvious. Down to the fashion sense!
I think slash is influenced by Jimi. Lenny kravitz is like his 90s rip-off.
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
thank you all for all these people. I know exactly what you were thinking LKW, I could think of any black artists at all that would really be influenced by hendrix.
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
best examples are:
Slash (half black)
prince
lenny Kravitz
and even Ray Charles who "digged that stuff from time to time"
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ What's your point? That doesn't disprove my argument at all.

i'm saying that it had already evolved
the best black, hendrix-influenced musician ever....Phil Lynott.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Prince, Maybe Kevin Eubanks. Not sure if he was influenced directly, but he is very innovative and versatile in his manner.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Made Of Metal
the best black, hendrix-influenced musician ever....Phil Lynott.

For sure...

Yeah play some G N' R, Prince, Kravitz, and maybe some Buddy Guy.
Id say when it comes to black music, Hendrix had the biggest influence on Jazz Fusion.
Miles like someone mentioned.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Quote by jim morrison714
i'm saying that it had already evolved

What, and it evolved no more? Evolution is a continuous progress, never a means to an end.