Hi all, first post, just started guitar and was wondering if you could answer something for me: a few of the tabs and books I've perused show notes in ( ). From what I understand, this means not to play the actual note, but to let the previous note ring for the beat. But I've also seen some tabs with notes in ( ) without the same note being struck previously. Could someone clear up what exactly ( ) means? Thanks, I really enjoy this site and board.
For the most part I think it means to let it ring. As far as the other one with no previous note I think it means it is optional maybe? I have had the same question myself.
Its called a ghost note, but....i have no idea what that means lol
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by jmp9x
Hi all, first post, just started guitar and was wondering if you could answer something for me: a few of the tabs and books I've perused show notes in ( ). From what I understand, this means not to play the actual note, but to let the previous note ring for the beat. But I've also seen some tabs with notes in ( ) without the same note being struck previously. Could someone clear up what exactly ( ) means? Thanks, I really enjoy this site and board.

I think you are talking about both ghost notes and grace notes.

For a ghost note, the general idea is the note is very quiet compared to the other ones. Strumming chords (rhythm slashes) on an acoustic with some soft unaccented notes, on maybe just a couple strings of the chord, an extra note you can hear slightly.

A grace note is a very quick note leading into another note, played quickly enough in a way that it doesn't interrupt the rhythm enough to require an actual time value. It can be slowed down enough to the point where it could be a normal note, but that's up to the performer. It can be a slide, hammer, pulloff to the next note, or even both notes picked.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo