First up, I'm a theory noob, so when it comes to chord progressions and scales etc I get confused with a lot of small things.

Anywho, my latest problem is understanding this chord progression that is the outro to Under the Bridge. It goes something like:

A C/G G6 Fmaj7

As far as I know, C and F are not in the key of A.

Am I missing something?
Last edited by gimme_fuel_89 at Feb 13, 2007,
A C/G G6 Fmaj7

Notes are:

A C# E
C E G
G B D E
F A C E

It looks like it's in the key of C with an A Major thrown in there to add some dissonance to create a sense of expectation of a resolution in the listener. The C# is the only off-key note in the progression so it's not that big of a deal.
If that was an Am then the key would be C.

That was no help at all, i know.
Gear:
Ibnaez RG1570 Prestige
Maton EM225C Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal
Oh ok, thanks anyway guys, that helped clear things up a little.

One thing about it though (another real noobish question); how did you figure out it was in the key of C? I mean, I thought it would've been in A since the progression starts with A and finishes with A (as a cadence).
^ all the notes that zeddenia listed are in the key of C major except for the C#. Basically (if that was an Am) all those chords are in the key of C. Why? Read this lesson.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/what_chords_are_in_what_key_and_why.html

Also the G6 would usually be a G7 in the key of C, but the chords are so similar and the 6 (E) is in the key of C anyway so it doesnt matter.
Gear:
Ibnaez RG1570 Prestige
Maton EM225C Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal