Page 1 of 2
he only cares because these kids make him money.

"I feel that music is for all people... (except f*cking ******s)"

Ian McKaye isn't a musician. he's a high voiced balding douchebag.
Regardless of his reason for speaking, I think that it was good of him to do that and I'm glad that my scene is very all-ages. (He really should just shave his remaining hair off though)
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
^fair enough
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Some things to think about.....

1. Donny Osmond testified before the PMRC that NWA had a right to make their music and NOT be censored.
While I agree with him, that doesn't change the fact that Donny Osmond, and his music, sucks.

2. David Hasselhoff sang "I've Been Looking For Freedom" to thousands of people on the Berlin Wall shortly before they tore it down.
When he's talked about it in public, he tries to make it seem like it was his crappy music that made people want to get rid of the Berlin Wall.

Like Osmand and The Hoff, Ian is grandstanding on an issue, because...

A) He needs to be seen as a "rebel", so that underage kids will buy his crappy music.
B) Telling kids what to do is Ian's job, not the government's.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
He sounded a lot more articulate than he usually does. He sounded like he really meant what he said. I haven't really read into the argument about him "destroying music" much, but this was pretty cool I guess.
Of course, he's passionate about it.
It's called self-preservation.

If underage kids don't go to his shows and buy his disco and freejazz, he'll have to go out and get a real job (which he hasn't had to do for almost 30 years).

I don't think Haagen Dazs wants him back.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Ruining music? Haha.

yes, ruining music.

minor threat became the template for mindless noise EDIT: *cough* rick wakeman *cough* /EDIT, something that the punks fought against and won, if only the battle and not the war.

If Ian Mackaye didn't want kids shot, maybe he shouldn't force his twisted personal (ha) beliefs and send out messages of discrimination and hate.
what was the reason to not like ian mckaye again? sorry i forgot.
Quote by johnnynemo
David Hasselhoff sang "I've Been Looking For Freedom" to thousands of people on the Berlin Wall shortly before they tore it down.
When he's talked about it in public, he tries to make it seem like it was his crappy music that made people want to get rid of the Berlin Wall.

it may not have teared down the berlin wasll, but that song is NOT crappy, it's heartfelt and inspirational
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
holy backfired thread!

regardless of the reasons behind why he took that stance...I am underage and uhhh being turned down at 90% of venues kind of sucks. (5 months and 6 days baby)
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
To BrianApocolypse, I'm just wondering what you would rather have him say instead of supporting that shows are for all ages. I'm guessing you're holding some sort of grudge because if he supported to have the 21 limit you'd be against him still. Explain please.
What's up?
^ huzzah to xtina.

For real, ALL shows should be ALL AGES. No exception. If you play in a bar, make sure it's a dive bar or be prepared to sneak in a bunch of kids as roadies. Everyone should be able to attend every show. The music should be the central focus, not the booze.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by whyvern
^ huzzah to xtina.

For real, ALL shows should be ALL AGES. No exception. If you play in a bar, make sure it's a dive bar or be prepared to sneak in a bunch of kids as roadies. Everyone should be able to attend every show. The music should be the central focus, not the booze.

*e-hug*
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
yay! Oh dude. I may move to Albany next year. I got into SUNY Albany. I'll probably live in a punk house there... there's alot of cool kids. Next time I'm in town you should come out to a show.
You know, he could be sincere about wanting all-ages shows. Money is part of it, but that really can't be it. Even if it doesn't affect him by not going to shows because of his age, it's probably happened to him when he was a teen. It happens to me all the time, and it sucks.

Minor Threat still sucks though
Its ironic that people on here are so incredible biased that even when Ian does something legitimately good, they try and tear him down.
sorry, people can't get passed how much of a douche he is...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by HPLoveCraft
To BrianApocolypse, I'm just wondering what you would rather have him say instead of supporting that shows are for all ages. I'm guessing you're holding some sort of grudge because if he supported to have the 21 limit you'd be against him still. Explain please.

Quote by HPLoveCraft

I wouldn't have ian say anything other, but I would have him speak up more. He could do so much and he never does.

The reason I HATE hardcore is that most times when I fork out a lot of money for a "punk" show I don't get a punk show, I get a shitty punk show.

Last december I went to see the UK subs and it was absolutely terrible. The openers were some shitty trumpetcore band, the second act was a '76 tribute band who were actually good. The third band were indie, and the UK subs were a modernised hardcore band with a terrible drummer and guitarist.

Why the hell should I be tricked into seeing 2 hardcore and an indie bands when the night is advertised as punk? It's NOT ****ING PUNK.

False advertising is illegal and the people who do it should be punished accordingly.
Oh yeah...

best regards, Brian ApocAlypse.

Why do you guys still get it wrong?

Sorry 'bout the double post, it's being a little bitch and won't let me edit.
damn straight.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

.....hahaha....that was a funny joke....
Quote by BrianApocalypse

^

That's ian mackellen.

So, what's the difference between Ian Mackaye and Ian Mckellen?

One's a homosexual and the other's a little pussy.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Feb 14, 2007,

they both look like shit...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Thanks for the new sig.
Quote by sargasm

I wonder if Ian hated punks so much, because he was almost bald at age 18, and thus, was unable to spike his hair.

That's prolly why he talked so much smack about Richard Hell, specifically, and '77 punks, in general.
Quote by sargasm

he looks like he should be saying "peek a boo"...then a brick to the face...hilarious...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by johnnynemo
I wonder if Ian hated punks so much, because he was almost bald at age 18, and thus, was unable to spike his hair.

That's prolly why he talked so much smack about Richard Hell, specifically, and '77 punks, in general.

He probably hated the Ramones because when they met Dee Dee rubbed the back of his head, which was good luck, especially if the midget was bald.
Quote by mike2
.....hahaha....that was a funny joke....

...hahaha... yeah haha... i know hahaha...
that wasn't a joke.
CTHC
Why would you admit that?
It says to the world" I"m too lazy to check my guess on Google".

I sigged it, cuz it's clever.
Always go with cleverness, son.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by whyvern
yay! Oh dude. I may move to Albany next year. I got into SUNY Albany. I'll probably live in a punk house there... there's alot of cool kids. Next time I'm in town you should come out to a show.

I got into SUNY Albany as well!

It's one of my top choices cuz I'm going to state school 'cause I'm cheap!
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I got into SUNY Albany as well!

It's one of my top choices cuz I'm going to state school 'cause I'm cheap!

Did you get into Hofstra? I just got in there. I really wanna go to Milwaukee for college but it probably won't happen cos my parents aren't for that and it's not as cheap as we thought it was.
Quote by waterproofpie
holy backfired thread!

Lol I knew this would happen.

I just thought it was a cool thing to post, so I posted it anyway.

Whatever, I do what I want.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I wouldn't have ian say anything other, but I would have him speak up more. He could do so much and he never does.

The reason I HATE hardcore is that most times when I fork out a lot of money for a "punk" show I don't get a punk show, I get a shitty punk show.

Last december I went to see the UK subs and it was absolutely terrible. The openers were some shitty trumpetcore band, the second act was a '76 tribute band who were actually good. The third band were indie, and the UK subs were a modernised hardcore band with a terrible drummer and guitarist.

Why the hell should I be tricked into seeing 2 hardcore and an indie bands when the night is advertised as punk? It's NOT ****ING PUNK.

False advertising is illegal and the people who do it should be punished accordingly.

Fair enough was just wondering the reason behind not liking him.

Thank you for responding Brian ApocAlypse. cheers.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Fair enough was just wondering the reason behind not liking him.

Thank you for responding Brian ApocAlypse. cheers.

You're more than welcome.
Page 1 of 2