i have an early 80s peavey classic 50 2x12 and i just cant get a great sound out of it - it always sounds way too fat and dark. the amp is pretty loud but hardly has any clean headroom and when the amps gain is high the sound is extremely mushy and muddy. is there any way to fix these problems? should i use a different type of tube? i put in a new set of JJ tubes afew months ago.

thanks
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
Hmm if your playing really hard on it, you need new tubes yet again

...no rebias
...no adjustments
...no fiddling around with things that will break it

...just new tubes, if you play like a maniac and have it cranked to 11 all the time your tubes should burn out every 3 months-ish
i dont play very hard on it - mostly bedroom playing but afew jams and gigs a month.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
EQ it to sound more bright
Use a different pickup maybe?
Use an OD pedal for gain if it sounds too muddy.
Turn the amp up.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
when i eq it for a brighter sound it just gives a splatty, ear piercing sound - splatty is the only way i can describe it. when i pick most notes on the EAD strings and all notes below the 8th fret of the G string is gives a mushy splat sound like the amp cant handle it or somthing. this is when the amp is turned up and down.

i guess ill just have to put pedals infront of it.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
what pickups are you using?
i've used a crappy pickup guitar(emg hz) with the peavey classic 30 and it sounds pretty bad. It sounds better now that im using low output single coils. And for overdrive, i prefer a tubescreamer placed in front of the amp with just a little amp overdrive.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers