this is kinda relevant to another thread but he was asking for help about his essay i didnt wanna hijack his thread so here we go.

they say that Music is a form of maths, and that if you are good at music you are usually good at math and vice versa. but i think thats kinda BS, im good at music i have a good ear on all instruments but im not that great at maths. im in the advanced class but im about average in there.

plus if u think about it there is alot of those dropkick people who are good at music but suck at being intelligent or even completing sentences, let alone completing an equation...

Discuss....please
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
Last edited by Jakester at Feb 13, 2007,
^ thanks

Quote by Rankles
i read in my maths book that pythagoras(sp?) or however you spell it came up with most music theory like harmonics and assigning notes names and chords and stuff like that so

........look it up?

i cant be screwed finding one page out of about 600 or googling it

EDIT: pythagoras was a math guy from a long time ago i think....
Last edited by soulflyV at Feb 13, 2007,
How many guitarists do you know who spend like 5 hours a day practising and care about maths at all?
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
I take practical math the eassy version and I am kind of avrege.
COLOR=Black]Når du itte vart som du sku for du verra som du æ!

Det var en liten hilsen fra bestemor til meg
I nearly failed maths last year, wait but then again I'm not that great a guitarist =]
Jakester, are you in my Methods class? Because our teacher had the same conversation with us this afternoon, but she didn't really go into detail.
They're in no way connected...
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
They're in no way connected...

That's definitely not true.

I'm not an expert on this, but most of music can be explained with math (well, physics, which uses math). Vibrations in the air can all be mathematically plotted...vibrations that we call notes.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Quote by Xinlitik
That's definitely not true.

I'm not an expert on this, but most of music can be explained with math (well, physics, which uses math). Vibrations in the air can all be mathematically plotted...vibrations that we call notes.

Yes, I understand that, but it's hardly maths related.

Quote by Smokey Amp
Yes, I understand that, but it's hardly maths related.

Sure, it is.

I'm forgetting all of my physics, but all the relations between notes are mathematical (well between the pythagorean intervals, and some of our Western intervals). Splitting a string (aka fretting a note) produces a different vibration, and that frequency makes up the note. There's a great deal of stuff like that, and that's just the surface. For instance...some dissonant overtones are 7 11 and 13...funny how they're all prime numbers eh?

There's lot of stuff on google.. here're a few

http://www.woodpecker.com/writing/essays/math+music.html

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/sets/select/dm_music_math.html

http://mathforum.org/library/topics/music/

Quote by Xinlitik
Sure, it is.

I'm forgetting all of my physics, but all the relations between notes are mathematical. Splitting a string (aka fretting a note) produces a different vibration, and that frequency makes up the note. There's a great deal of stuff like that, and that's just the surface. For instance...some dissonant overtones are 7 11 and 13...funny how they're all prime numbers eh?

There's lot of stuff on google.. here're a few

http://www.woodpecker.com/writing/essays/math+music.html

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/sets/select/dm_music_math.html

http://mathforum.org/library/topics/music/

Forget I even commented...

Maths is my worst enemy.

Quote by Smokey Amp
Forget I even commented...

Maths is my worst enemy.

Hehe dont worry about it. If you ever end up taking a physics course (I recommend it, they're really fun) you'll learn the basics of strings and their vibrations.

all u ppl are saying u use the maths in physics to understand the theory of the wavelengths etc etc of the notes and that.... but anybody can learn 'how' a guitar works, but i dont see how that will help you be good at 'playing' it

and to the guy who thinks im in his methods class....
1. whats methods class?
2. my math teacher is a he..... i think...jj

Quote by Rankles
Serialism is a form of maths in music. It involves using the whole tone scale combined with inversions, retrograde and retrograde inversions which are closely related to maths.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
when im tryna work out a complicated riff i get that same sort of confusion inside my head as when im doin hard maths lol. so they are connected.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.