Sup all, I've been looking into getting an electric guitar for a couple months now and I'm starting to break down and learn everything I can before I make a purchase. Basically I am looking for a guitar that has a good variety, heh seems like I'm learning that everyone wants that guitar that can hit all the sounds you like. Basically I like country, rock, punk, reggae, blues, pop, and some harder punk rock.

I have a Taylor Big Baby acoustic and I enjoy playing it a hell of alot it just pisses me off that it isnt a cutaway because I can't really get very high on the fretboard. So I guess when it comes down to it my main goal is to get a guitar that is very diverse. So far my estimation is a Fender with single-single-hum-b pickups. I haven't even looked into amps for it yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

Oh and while I have you guys attention, does anyone know any good lessons for acoustic fingerpicking, I have been working on it but my brain and hands are in constant battle.
yeah, if its quite cheap, look at some yammaha guitars. I got my pacifica112 when i started off and loved it. Erm...more money, look at maybe one of the £500 prs guitars cause they r still very good...
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
well for the guitar, if you want a cheapo first guitar get a peavy, there pretty good quality, mine lasted 2 years before a major upgrade... and for the finger picking lesson, just try and learn classical gas by mason williams or eric clapton, stick at it for a few weeks every day and u should get pretty good pretty quick
Hey Man I Would Say Get An Ibanez RG1570 Prestige There Goin For £445 And the Retail Price Is £600!! .. Their Prestige to So Comes With All the Pro Parts!!!

I Bought One Lat Year And It Is Surely Treating me Well!!!!!!!!!!!
look into a godin freeway classic for a first guitar. they're well made and not too pricey. you can pick one up for around £350.

i got one the other day. can't stop playing it.
runs great through an orange amp.

really warm tones
I'm looking to spend around 800-900 for the guitar/amp total. I could spend more I just don't want to go too far since I'm just an afternoon player. Thanks for the info you guys.
Best advice I can give for the guitar is stay away from anything super cheap. Also, There's alot of things about a guitars neck to consider. Nut width, neck shape, neck radius. I'll bet 95% of the salespeople in a guitar shop can't tell you the dimensions of a guitars neck. Anyway, find one that's most comfortable for you. I've found that I like 1 5/8" nut width, c-shape and 9.5" fretboard radius. Pretty comfortable for me. I tend to stay away from the "baseball bat" type necks.
Quote by $lick
I'm looking to spend around 800-900 for the guitar/amp total. I could spend more I just don't want to go too far since I'm just an afternoon player. Thanks for the info you guys.

800-900 what? US Dollars? Pounds? Euros?
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
one word, and that word makes all guitars tremble in fear, when uttered they say you can hear the ghost of hendrix screaming, that word is:

STRATOCASTER
The Fender Standard (MIM) Strat is a great choice.
But remember amp is most important for your tone.
A vox AD30VT if you don't have much of a budget or a cheap valve amp like a Marshall DSL401, Fender Hot Rod, Ashdown Fallen Angel, Laney VC30 (If you're a brit quite pricey in the US.).
Yes 800-900 US dollars I appreciate all of the information guys, what do you think about the spider amps? With all the presets and what not. I had a guy tell me he could get me a brand new Les Paul Custom with a spider II for 800 US$. But I am leaning more towards fender for that country single coil picking sound. Thats kinda why I want a x2single-humb setup.
Spider amps = worst popular amps in history.
Everyone will tell yu the same.
Roland Cube/Vox AD has probably just as many effects as the spider and will sound better.
yea on musicians friend the vox seems to be the best priced with the best reviews. looks like the jack on it can be pretty faulty though, but thats easily repaired.
Just a thought - you may want to look into something that has humbuckers that can be split/tapped (I'm still confused about the difference between these). It basically means you can make the humbucker pickup be just a single coil, and therefore sound like a single coil pickup.

My guitar has two humbuckers that can each be split/tapped. There are 3 pickup positions I can select from (bridge pickup, neck pickup or both together). That gives a total of 8 different pickup configurations I can pick from. For contrast, a Strat with two single coils and a bridge humbucker will have 5 different pickup configurations. I think that makes my guitar pretty versatile tone-wise.

For an amp, if you're looking for versatility a modeling amp is probably a good choice for you. People on this forum don't seem to like the Line6's very much (they say the cleans are not good). The modeling amps of choice on here are VoxAD's (gain models better for rock) and Roland Cubes (gain models better for metal).
My suggestion? I'll list my reasons too:

Ibanez RG (lower priced ones) - priced like a Squire, plays much better. Very versatile for little money.

Vox AD30VT - I may be biased cuz I have one, but it was the best small amp <$300 in guitar center! Tons of tones for you to play with! Big sounding enough to make live use. I plug my Custom 24 in and it's wonderful.

Planet Waves cables - lifetime warranty and they're everywhere!

You can't skimp too much. There's quality cheap stuff, it's hard to find. Peavey Valve Kings are cool as well. Check one out if you can afford one.
^^I'm for fender over squier or Ibanez, especially a nice used one, maybe with some work done on it like new pickups and fret work.

but I second the vox ad30vt even though I think the tube stuff is a bit hyped, i'm sure there's some way to rewire it or whatever. It's a great amp in and of itself.

i prefer monster cables over planet waves because you can take them to any guitar center or whatever and they'll just give you a new one because of the lifetime warranty policy.
Quote by Lacrimavit

i prefer monster cables over planet waves because you can take them to any guitar center or whatever and they'll just give you a new one because of the lifetime warranty policy.

Actually, it's the same for Planet Waves. I experienced that myself. Brought two bad cables in and got two brand spanking new ones.
These Ibanez RG's and AD30vt's are they just designed for rock, or are they more versatile?
Quote by jacklarby
look into a godin freeway classic for a first guitar. they're well made and not too pricey. you can pick one up for around £350.

i got one the other day. can't stop playing it.
runs great through an orange amp.

really warm tones

I own the same guitar, and its great. Works well for many different styles of music.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
if you replace the pickups in the ibanez then they can be. but your right, the RG series was designed for metal.
it all depends on what sort of music you want to play.

for heavy rock - go for an ibanez, trust me.
but if you want a more sort of..mellow tone, get a fender, but the mexican ones. they're made terribly and they play like shit. either look into the "highway ones" or an american strat.

try an orange amp too. you'll be blown away by its tone.
with the mexican ones it's simply a matter of putting some time into finding a better one out of a given batch and then investing in a set up and fretwork, eventually pickups. I still like the standards for what you pay, especially used.
Yea I like blues, punk, alternative, country. I'm not really into metal at all. I like alot more melodic smooth tunes. I'm thinking a Fender Strat. Not sure which series yet, but I will probably just get a standard strat and fix the pickups towards the sounds I want and spend a little more money on an amp thats more diverse as well. I can't find pricings for an orange amp, are they only sold in europe?
I think I may have said the wrong Ibanez model. The GRX is one I have experience with. Judging by your tastes though, I don't think that model would do it.

Fender Strat is a great way to go. Check out the Tremol-No if you get one. It makes tremolo equipped guitars a lot more useable. If you're not familiar with it, it turns your trem into a hardtail without it being totally permanent. No drilling required.
Yea Im thinking Fender strat I just want some good diversity. I like all kinds of mellow stuff with good clean sounds. Coldplay, Eagles, basically thats the kind of sound that I'm into. I know alot of people here are into metal and harder stuff but I'm just looking for a diverse classic rock and alternative sound. The Tremol-No looks pretty sweet, seems like it would just take some practice to get used to screwing around with the settings. Which Strat would be best for a classic rock/alternative/country sound? I could allways just get a pedal for punk or the hard stuff I like to screw with very rarely.
for classic rock, look into the 50's classic strats. they're amazing.
if you live in the UK, you'll find orange amps at www.guitar.co.uk.

trust me, they're incredible
you cant go wrong with the low end ibanez rgs
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Yea orange amps look very quality. Also Im looking into the Roland Cube 30x. It looks pretty sweet. Anyone have any experience with that? My friend has a low end ibanez and he likes it alot so I guess it is a good choice.
Should you buy a vox amp, always run the guitar cord round the back of the amp, or through the handle. Then it's a great little monster.

I wouldn't bother with line 6, they're pretty nasty and electronic sounding.

EDIT: ^ I played a cube 30 a while back, I didn't think it was that great. I was using a PRS of some description too so it can't have been the guitar's fault.

I hear that the vox isn't a good choice for metal, but I believe that it has the versatility for anything else.
My Friend Has The Ibnaez Gx The Cheap Modle With The Stadard Trem And He Put In Sum Emg Zakk Wydle Active Pickups And Sum New Ping Tuners It Has A Smoth And Powerful Sound With Those Zakk Pickups And Its Sound Smooth For Legatto Runs And Fast Soloing
yeah don't bother with the rolands. waste of money. look into orange or vox.
vox amps aren't pretty though
so I got a Gretsch G5238T Pro Jet w/ Bigsby with a Fender FM 65 DSP 65 Watt 1x12 Frontman Combo Amp. Its a pretty cool setup.
ok,

Guitar: MiM STANDARD Series Strat (the new & improved Standards)

Amp: VoxAD15, Vox have a good British Sound i feel. A overall superb amp.
A good guitarist is one who questions himself, is critical of his abilities and is modest towards other peoples abilities and techniques.

Anyone els is from America.