I have a question: Is there any possible way to put an EMG 81 with a passive pickup in the neck?

Or, what are everyones thoughts on the Seymour Duncan Distortion?

I am iterestted in the super distortion, i was going to buy it as it seems cool.
Dont know much about EMG and havent really looked at actives sorry
I know I've heard people say that you CAN match an active with a passive with some rewiring.. and I've also heard that you CANT do that because of the wiring.
You can match the two types together but first off I'd advise getting it done at a store or something cause I cant recall if the wiring of the two makes it difficult or not depends who makes the pick ups i suppose. Plus as was mentioned earlier you'll have to be bloody careful how you balance the two. Actives naturally have a much higher output than most passives so if you dont balance them right the actives going to be over balanced against the passive.
It's easier, but still fiddly with seperate volumes for each pickup - it's a pain in the arse with single volume guitars. It's not really worth doing unless you have really exacting sound requirements.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think what we're all getting at here dude is...Dont bother its way too much fuss. Besides you can get passives that can make actives like EMG's look pathetic when used properly. Bareknuckle pickups for example. Or you could try EMG HZ's. Their passives but they have a sound quite similar to thier active counterparts.
Don't do it. You'll get this absoultely obnoxious buzzing the entire time.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
My friend told me about this guy who just removed the bridge passive pickup and replaced the neck one with an EMG. Does this work?
It would I suppose, but why would you want no bridge pickup? EMG's are just pickups at the end of the day, they aren't that much better than good passives - in many cases they aren't as good.

Put it this way - EMG's aren't really suited to certain tones, great for metal though. Decent passives are much more versatile, and it's pretty easy to approximate EMG's using EQ'ing and a booster.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ok so my question i guess now is what pickup would i get? I can only get Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio here. The guy at a local guitar shop recommended the Seymour Duncan Distortion to me because the DiMarzio D Sonic was out of stock (The band i play in usually plays in drop tunings)
Last edited by andreneth at Feb 13, 2007,
Well, what amp have yopu got, what guitar and what kind of sound do you want to get?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd go for the Seymour Duncan. I put a DiMarzio into my old Peavey and it almost sounded active because of the way it kept buzzing. The Seymour Duncan, although not as loud, had a much better distortion sound and kept the buzzing to a minimum.

Cheers.
Quote by steven seagull
Well, what amp have yopu got, what guitar and what kind of sound do you want to get?

Laney LV200Y, with a PRS Billy Martin running though a Korg AX3000G. I play alot of metal and metalcore which is why i considered the EMG's in the first place
Last edited by andreneth at Feb 13, 2007,
D-Sonic and Duncan Distortion are both good choices then - the Distortion's a bit treblier than the D-Sonic but that shouldn't be an issue in mahogany.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Alright thanks man! Ill look into the Seymour Duncan Distortion or until i find something better out there. But what we can find in the Philippines is rather limited.
You can't really go wrong with a Seymour Duncan Distortion. You should look up Bareknuckle too. They are expensive but brilliant.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Duncan Distortion is excellent
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
If i play a lot of Children of Bodom, Trivium, Metallica.. that sort of thing, would the Seymour Duncan Distortion work well?