ok my hunt for speakers continues.....

its either gonna be 2 of these

http://www.jensenvintage.com/p10r.htm JENSEN P10R 81euro each

or

http://www.jensenvintage.com/c10q.htm JENSEN C10Q 50euro each

i will be getting 2 of them and my amps output is about 15watts,its a Teisco Checkmate 15.the cost isnt much of a factor but to save 60euro would be nice

i like to use effects pedals and apparently the ceramic speakers take pedals better,but also i often plug straight in so...

also i like a pristine clean sound so i want everything to stay clean unless i use a pedal for grit.generally i play blues/indie/experimental styles.

ok thats LOADS of info for you guys so help and input appreciated please!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Why not get one of each?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
to be honest i wouldnt have a clue how that would work.

would it sound good or how would it be?

also both speakers have different power handling capacitys.

i dunno tell me more!!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I'm not a tech guy, but I don't think the wattage is the issue. It's the ohms, and they match. I've definitely seen combos with two different speakers in them (probably 'cause one was blown) and you can order cabs that way.

What you'd wind up with is a blend of speaker qualities. I'd expect it to sound great. No matter which extreme you went to, either a long pedal chain or just a guitar and cable, you'd have the speaker in there that sounds best with what you're doing. And the other speaker isn't bad, it wouldn't be hurting your sound, you'd really have a best of both worlds thing going on.

edit: either way you're good to go with Jensens if cleans are what you're looking for. They're excellent speakers for Fender amps. The speaker that "takes pedals better" won't sound bad clean at all, probably better than a lot of other companies' "clean" speakers.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Feb 13, 2007,
cheers for your help.i might just do that so but as always more opinions the better.

anyone else wanna add something?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by slatsmania
What you'd wind up with is a blend of speaker qualities. I'd expect it to sound great. No matter which extreme you went to, either a long pedal chain or just a guitar and cable, you'd have the speaker in there that sounds best with what you're doing. And the other speaker isn't bad, it wouldn't be hurting your sound, you'd really have a best of both worlds thing going on.

You don't know that...

Some speakers "fight" each other tonally.. You could get some nasty cancellations in certain frequencies going on and it could end up sounding absolutely terrible. The problem with mixing speakers is you can't predict how the speakers will react together, sometimes they'll be terrific but sometimes they'll be terrible.. It's quite an expensive risk IMO.

Personally I never mix and match because I don't have the money to do experiments like that, I'd just find a speaekr you like and stick with it.

About the jensens: I don't know, I've never really liked the jensen sound so I've not had much experience. If one is ceramic that (if everything else is the same) will be louder, tighter, more responsive and brighter. The alnico will have a slower response and quite a "stodgy" sort of low end, but with lots of honk (in a jensen.) The alnico will break up earlier too into a "tweed" sort of speaker distortion.

EDIT: If you do decide to mix, I've often been told you're less likely to end up with a crap combination if you choose one bright speaker and one bassy speaker as opposed to 2 speakers that are quite similar.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak

EDIT: If you do decide to mix, I've often been told you're less likely to end up with a crap combination if you choose one bright speaker and one bassy speaker as opposed to 2 speakers that are quite similar.

cheers for the info but the quoted bit seems to contradict itself. you say that two similar speakers will sound bad but most amps use identical speakers so....

anyway ill probably go for two of the ceramic ones,if i manage to get my job back ill go for the more expensive alnico ones but its one and the same really
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
cheers for the info but the quoted bit seems to contradict itself. you say that two similar speakers will sound bad but most amps use identical speakers so....

Yeah, identical speakers work because they have the exact same frequency response... However if there is a slight mis-match in the resonant frequency of each speaker there will be a "fighting" effect.. But if the resoant frequencies are at the opposite ends of the the frequency range they won't fight as much so the whole sound will be "clearer"

I hope that makes some vague sense. I just used "resonant" frequency in my argument above, in reality it applies to the whole frequency range.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
:stickpoke

<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX