Can anyone help me dial a Black Metal Tone similar to Dark Fortress? I've had conflicting advice on how to get it. My gear is Marshall MG 250/ Jackson R Rhoads/ Boss MT2/ Electro-haermonix metal Muff/
Thanx a lot
dial in all gain high... and all treble and bass up high... low to 1 mid.
Last edited by Jeff Manthei at Feb 13, 2007,
i'd just stick with the MT-2 but use the bass on the amp eq to beef it up a bit.

on the MT-2 go for full bass and treb and take those mids right down.
Quote by controlfreak
i'd just stick with the MT-2 but use the bass on the amp eq to beef it up a bit.

on the MT-2 go for full bass and treb and take those mids right down.

Ew.

Throw the MT-2 away and buy the Metal Muff.
Sent from my iPad.
I didn't know black metal guitarists cared about their tone that much.
J/k.

Anyway, from what I've heard of black metal (Emperor, Schlectvalk, Bathory, etc.) I think you'd want Bass around 8 or 9, Mids at about 5 or 6, and highs close to topped out.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Lord Ahriman from Dark Funeral uses a Warlock with Seymour Duncan Live Metal Wire pickups through a Mesa Dual Rectifier. He would not tell me his eq settings, but I will probably find out eventually. Gotta hate when guitarists guard their settings like it is the holy grail.

EDIT: I noticed alot of people saying to do the old death metal massive bass, massive treble with zero mids. If you listen to alot of black metal bands, you can hear that they indeed use a nice bit of midrange to fill out their sound. Mids are a VITAL component to creating a sound that is distinguishable in both live and recording situations. Especially when speed picking single notes.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Last edited by myMesa8mybrain at Feb 13, 2007,
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
Lord Ahriman from Dark Funeral uses a Warlock with Seymour Duncan Live Metal Wire pickups through a Mesa Dual Rectifier. He would not tell me his eq settings, but I will probably find out eventually. Gotta hate when guitarists guard their settings like it is the holy grail.

EDIT: I noticed alot of people saying to do the old death metal massive bass, massive treble with zero mids. If you listen to alot of black metal bands, you can hear that they indeed use a nice bit of midrange to fill out their sound. Mids are a VITAL component to creating a sound that is distinguishable in both live and recording situations. Especially when speed picking single notes.

Thanx a lot for the info. I can hear a fair amount of midrange too in black metal tone. Any guess on Lord Ahriman settings?
Quote by Eggmond
get rid of the mg and get a decent amp
couldnt have said it better
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by gilousmolski
Thanx a lot for the info. I can hear a fair amount of midrange too in black metal tone. Any guess on Lord Ahriman settings?

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yeah, corny name aside he can really play guitar quite well. Guess it was just a matter of subculture or whatever.

As far as his settings I know he has a Mesa Dual Rectifier, set on Modern. I would try Gain between 7-10, Bass on 6, Mids anywhere from 5-7 and Treble on about 5-7. Set the presence under halfway. Toy around with that and see what it needs from there. I would not go too heavy on bass though. It tends to muck up the sound. Just increase whatever sounds lacking and you will have a sound suitable for that genre. Hope that helps a bit.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
didn't caligula bathe in the blood of his hot sisters?

he was like this emperor/hannibal lector of rome.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
Yeah, corny name aside he can really play guitar quite well. Guess it was just a matter of subculture or whatever.

As far as his settings I know he has a Mesa Dual Rectifier, set on Modern. I would try Gain between 7-10, Bass on 6, Mids anywhere from 5-7 and Treble on about 5-7. Set the presence under halfway. Toy around with that and see what it needs from there. I would not go too heavy on bass though. It tends to muck up the sound. Just increase whatever sounds lacking and you will have a sound suitable for that genre. Hope that helps a bit.

Thanx a million bro, that really helped . I'm closer to my elusive black metal tone than ever before. Now I need to get myself a Mesa and get rid of my useless Marshall.
Quote by myMesa8mybrain

I don't get it. The settings are all there on the knobs and they're going to be different for every guitar, amp and player. Everybody's touch is a little different. They aren't guarding anything, they just aren't wasting their time talking about it. What'd be the point. If you can't figure out where to turn the knobs then you've got no chance of getting the rest of it right.

That Duncan Metal Live Wire is an absolutely insane pickup. You won't find anything with more power and evil intent that can fit in a guitar.

Ron