Page 1 of 2
I have a serious problem. When I play something fast that requires concentration, or specially when I improvise, I always make funny weird faces.
Any way to stop it?

Example of my weird faces:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU_oomT08Y8
the really fcked up faces start after 2:40
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Your.....face....00.14!!!

Anyways, seriously; just concentrate on not doing it if you are so bothered. But you shouldn't worry about what you look like. Immature comment like I just made are best to be ignored.
=-

The "weird faces" as you say are your emotions, don't try to remove emotion.

=-
[color="Red"][size="3"][B]   ___   __     __        
  / __\ / /    /__\ /\/\  
 / _\  / /    /_\  /    \ 
/ /   / /___ //__ / /\/\ \
\/    \____/ \__/ \/    \/
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Member of "Genital Grinders", the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. "Embodiment" to join.
lol, see what u mean. don't worry bout it, you play some cool stuff so most people wil focus on that rather than the admittedly wierd faces. if not the suggestions of buckethead style and botox.....are quite good

as a side note my mate used to make sex faces when he played his bass. was odd
If you really want to stop, play something easy that doesn't require concentration. Slowly speed that up and play it over and over, a little faster each time. Keep doing that and force your face in sort of a >:| type face. Except, not as lame as ASCII.

Just take it slow and force yourself to hold a straight face.
Quote by flemflames
=-

=-

Yeh but imagine that I'm in a gig and I suddenly start to shake my head that way while I make that weird fish face
Everyone'd start laughing. It's not a cool weird face like the Steve Vai ones.
It's more in the style of Adam Fulara faces
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Its cool but it looks like you were ****ing your guitar xD

EDIT: it sounds good but after 2:40 it looks like you were having an orgasm.
Looking for a new sig!
Last edited by samerika at Feb 13, 2007,
Quote by Aleks-101
Do like buckethead

Know where I can get these giant buckets? xD
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

don't open your mouth

simple as that.

you do look kinda like a fish out of water.

tell yourself you look like a fag, then you'll be scared into submission
Quote by TheEndHasNoEnd
Don't worry about it, it just shows that you're getting into the music IMO, better than looking as though you don't care what you're playing.

Agree.

If you did those faces while studying math... man, that would be weird

But your playing music, it envolves feelings (specialy while improvising)... show them!
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
dude i know you think your faces are retarded, but that looked cool! Look up hendrix, clapton anyone, and you'll see how they look like they're having an orgasm when they're playing. Take a look at Robert Cray...that guy puts in some crazy faces when he's soloing! I think its awesome!
Quote by crazydiamond73
i killed a hooker while she was servicing me and we were both high on crack, all on the teachers desk. i mean c'mon.
Quote by Me@UGC
If you did those faces while studying math... man, that would be weird

"Carry the two...add the one"

"Urik, what are you doing!?"
Hey, a couple of things

Im Israeli too, so dont fool me and call this improvising (Listen to the last 20 seconds to see what im thinking :p

Second, you think you have problems? check out the drummer in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9SiGQUiZk
Now thats some wrid faces

PS
Cream (The band in the vid) Are my favourite band
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by smb
Errr have you tried KFC?

Don't know what it is. But one of these cinemas giant popcorn buckets would work
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by angusyoung101
dude i know you think your faces are retarded, but that looked cool! Look up hendrix, clapton anyone, and you'll see how they look like they're having an orgasm when they're playing. Take a look at Robert Cray...that guy puts in some crazy faces when he's soloing! I think its awesome!

K thank you. I know that the weird faces reflect emotions. But most famous guitarists that I know make weird faces but nice ones.
Mine looks like a fish when I play
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by BassistGal
Hey, a couple of things

Im Israeli too, so dont fool me and call this improvising (Listen to the last 20 seconds to see what im thinking :p

Second, you think you have problems? check out the drummer in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9SiGQUiZk

PS

But it IS improvisation =\
The last 20 secs is the base of the song, yeah isn't an improvisation. But except that single part that is in the intro and the outtro, everything is improvisation
And nice band that Cream.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Feb 13, 2007,
^

Have you looked at the drummer's face?
It cracks me up every time (I've already watched it like 20 times)

Ben Hamelech
Jump around the stage alot while maiking those faces. People wont see it then....
Or when you scrunch your face up, stick out your tongue and waggle it at the crowd....
He plays with his mouth wide open
Never saw that in a drummer
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

theres two kinds of wiered faces. there's those, which involve feeling and emotional conveyance, and theres those that try to hide it. I point to micheal angelo batio in the speed kills video. near the end hes really trying to hold back his face and, well looks kind of retarded.
Don't worry about the faces. Just next time, don't put that tapping in there, or at least work on it. Sorry, but that part sounded like shit.

Quote by BassistGal
Hey, a couple of things

PS

Yeah, but he's probably on heroin.
Last edited by hardrock1315 at Feb 13, 2007,
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
#21 OF THE NON-CONFORMIST CLUB
Last edited by Zukev at Jul 12, 2010,
You played very good in that video!

Extremely good audio in that video as well. Great playing!

Anyways, I'm exactly like you. It gets even worse when I play the saxophone... Never make me play the saxophone

Anyways, if you really think it's that much of a pain, then I suggest you try to close your mouth more. It will remove the ''fish out of water'' look. Never stop moving though... Movement is great. Don't sit around like a fucking robot; do like you do now

Also, don't you EVER buy a wah-wah pedal (Only kidding)
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
LOL a wah wah pedal is amazing for adding in emotional faces. Also you can do what Slash does. Grow your hair extremely long and have it cover your face. Or just wear a mask like Buckethead.
Buy a waa waa pedal...that will help...

>.>
<.<
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
A wah wah video would be hillarious

Ben Hamelech
imo, your 'weird' faces don't look bad at all, i think it makes you look like your totally up with your music but as i said, my opinion

btw i think you're very good for 1,5 year play, much better than me =)
PSN name = Barmanation
I naturally don't open my mouth while I play except when I'm really feeling the note and it comes to me, in your video it seems as though it's some sort of reaction so i don't know what to tell you. Maybe try singin along with what your playing, I usually do that (with my mouth closed i move my tounge) it seems kind of odd when you hear me talking about it but try it i guess.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Lol.

You looked like a retarded man :P

Its not to bad , but make sure that you wear different clothes when playing live, and grow some hair, that will do the trick.

EDIT. I also do faces when playing . Not from emotion thought.
When im shredding my ass off i ussualy move my lower jaw to the side and wiggle my tounge (spelling) very fast. Looks very retarded.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Rip off your face in front of preschool children.

this made me almost cry laughing
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by flemflames

+1

it shows you are putting effort into it...and if you think those are messed up faces...watch herman li live
Page 1 of 2