Right, I want to do Music for one of my options, so I just wanted to get a bit of advice from some who have already done it. My main concerns are composition and performance (so basically the whole thing ).

I would like to do something on guitar, and my teacher told us that something of grade 5 standard on an instrument would be adequate, so what sort of song could I play to be up to that standard? I am self taught so I have no idea what grade I am.

This is a couple of years away, but I need to decide soon whether I am to do it, as we have to give in our forms in a couple of weeks.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
its not that picky, well depending on schools. i did through the never by metallica for performance and got an A. my compesitions are all guitar tracks, ones blues, the others just a simple rondo piece, neither have been marked yet but they got accepted.
Quote by jambi_mantra
its not that picky, well depending on schools. i did through the never by metallica for performance and got an A. my compesitions are all guitar tracks, ones blues, the others just a simple rondo piece, neither have been marked yet but they got accepted.

Thats slightly scary, because Im listening to that right now...

With the compositions, did you just make up a lead solo for a backing track, or was it a melody and a harmony on the guitar?
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

I got a B in Music GCSE and I ****ed around for two years and didn't take any of my coursework seriously at all. I think I did an Offspring song for my performance, and my compositions were even worse. That was three years ago though, the course and marking scheme might have changed.
I was about grade 3 when i did mine. I played a grade three piece and got a overall. I know people who did a grade one piece and got full marks in performance because they played it perfectly. As for the compositions i just come up for a chord progression and robbed riffs i liked from other songs and changed them a bit.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Go for it it's pretty easy. The hardest part is music history; learning about Baroque, Classical, etc but that's not really that hard anyway.
DO THE COURSE I REGRET TAKEING ART AND I REALLY REALLY WISH I TOOK MUSIC!!

for my error im having to take a extra year at college before i can have a degree
Lol i couldnt take the fact i didnt take music so told the school i was going to leave if i cudnt drop Biology A level. In the end i am doing GCSE music and its the best thing ever. Basically you have a couple of performances i think one is a solo performance the other accompanied. Theres also composing music which is easy. You should definately take it if your going to try and get higher certificates in music or something which is fun and better than another subject.
I played a grade 4 classical piece for my GCSE, and did a really average 12-bar jazz composition having never written anything before in my life and got full marks and an A*. Go for it, its great fun and nowhere near as hard as you think itll be. If youre stuck for ideas for what to play, im pretty sure the exam board actually produce a database of well-known pieces with the equivalent grades, but ask your teacher as that may only be for A level.
At my school we've had abit of problems with teachers etc. So basicly we've lost an entire term of work...

Anyway, learn notation. It's apparently neccesary for a higher marking (can't just tab stuff). Learning Different musical terms is useful as it'll give you a higher mark on (I think it's) one paper.

A guitar piece for grade five? I'm self taught so I'm not too sure what clarifies for grade 5, but I'm sure a piece with various scales and great rythem would work. Try to keep it tasteful (a.k.a Don't guitar wank, as I doubt that'd work well for you) use various techniques etc.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
I did for my composition, a 12 bar blues [bass, rhythm guitar, drums and two lead parts] and an ABA piece [fingerpicking for A section, and a more rhythmic piece for B].

For performance, I did 'Wish You Were Here' by Pink Floyd and All My Best Friends... by Less Than Jake.

Got an A* on every part.

Music is a piece of cake, but knowing a little theory helps, as you basically cover grade 5 theory as part of the course.

Peace
Tears in heaven was accepted as being grade five in my standard grade music (scots ver of GCSE). That goes to show they aren't really on top of how far guitar playing has come if a wee finger picking piece is in the upper half of the grade syllabus. Think grade 3 is acceptable too. You're laughing anyway. Play something not too hard but play it well and that's where the marks come from
Quote by GreasedKrist
Tears in heaven was accepted as being grade five in my standard grade music (scots ver of GCSE). That goes to show they aren't really on top of how far guitar playing has come if a wee finger picking piece is in the upper half of the grade syllabus. Think grade 3 is acceptable too. You're laughing anyway. Play something not too hard but play it well and that's where the marks come from

Hmm, I was thinking of doing some Vai piece, but the chances that Ill screw up are too high I might not.
Quote by Robbie n strat

My three performances were:

Midnight - Satch
Bed of Razors - Children of Bodom
Improv solo (guitar wank )

I got an A overall, and I did shit on the listening paper, so I can only assume I did reasonably well on the performances.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
One thing you might also want to do to inform yourself would be to look on the ABRSM website, look up grade five guitar and check out the set pieces. If your city has a music library you'll probably be able to get the score and the audio to see what the standard is. If not, there are tabs and downloading

Do this to get a flavour of where you are versus where you need to be and decide from there on an equivalent difficulty piece that you're into and start practicing!

Good luck
Yeah take it, it's not that hard IMO. Although there is actually a fair bit of infromation to take in about music history, different periods and different genres. That's the hardest part IMO.

As for the performance and compositions, don't take on anything too hard, they definitely prefer a simple piece played well than a hard piece played badly. I did Under The Bridge by the Chili Peppers and I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness( ), and I nailed them, got an A overall. For compositions, stick to a traditional format, I just did a song with some simple chords in the background and a nice melody over the top, with a verse, chorus and bridge section, it's easy enough really. Good luck!
What IS this thing? It seems pathetic if you ask me. What does it give you, why would you take it?!
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
GCSE's is the name of a set of British qualifications, taken by secondary school students, at age of 14-16 in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
Taken if planning a career in the performing arts, or for sheer enjoyment.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club